Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 10:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I’m about sick to my stomach! Graphic photos ahead...

Brattina1221
34 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 06, 2018 20:12 |  #31

Bummer to see but glad there are options for you to take care of it. Good luck!

sponsored links
shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
780 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 09, 2018 19:16 |  #32

Update:

It was shipped Monday and received Wednesday morning. I was originally told I would receive an email within 24 hours from the time fed ex dropped it off. One rep told me I would receive an email from cps when it was checked in and another told me I wouldn’t. One this morning told me it was being evaluated and another this afternoon told me it was received and that’s as far as it has gone. As of 4:30 this afternoon I had received no email. Hopefully Monday.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 10, 2018 07:57 as a reply to  @ shaunmcfd's post |  #33

In my experience they take a few days after receiving the product. You should hear from them soon.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Tamron 150-600

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
780 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by shaunmcfd.

Mar 12, 2018 11:39 |  #34

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18577751 (external link)
It looks like all you need are new mounts. . Am I missing something?

New mounts are not a big deal at all. . In fact, I think the last time I replaced a mount it was only like fifty bucks, and the time before that Canon did it for free when I sent a body and a lens in for a free check & clean (via CPS).

The lens mount can be replaced in about 5 minutes with one of those tiny screwdriver kits that you can get at the dollar store. . And it helps to use some LocTite (the non-permanent kind, of course) or some silicone on the threads so that the screws don't keep working loose.

I'm just not seeing how this is a big deal. . These mounts can be replaced easily, even if you have no experience and no skill. . It's just 4 screws that you take out and then put back in. . Nothing more to it than that.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18577780 (external link)
Yeah, I believe so. . They used to call it "check and clean" service, but I think I recall hearing that they changed the name for some unknown reason.

In any event, I don't think you need anything like that for your issue. . Just ordering a pair of mounts and getting the one dollar eyeglass screwdriver kit and a little tube of silicone is all you need ..... well, that and 10 minutes.

It's nothing to get "sick to your stomach" over, or to be calling insurance companies about. . Its just busted mounts.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18577825 (external link)
What part of what I said do you disagree with?

Do you really believe that a 10 minute repair, costing less than $100 in parts, is something to make an insurance claim about? . Why sully your insurance track record and risk increased premiums over something so minor?

Or is it that do you not believe me about it costing so little? . Or is it that you don't believe me about it taking only 10 minutes to replace both mounts?

I'm not really clear what it is that you disagree with me about.

Perhaps it seems like a big deal to you if you are not familiar with performing such repairs on your own. . Things often seem more complex when one is unfamiliar with them. . But, whether you are familiar with this kind of thing or not, does not change the facts - it is a very inexpensive, very easy, and very quickly done repair.

Just because something seems like a big deal, or feels like a big deal, doesn't mean that it is. . Feelings are often misguiding and we have to disregard them because of this.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18577839 (external link)
You will find that it actually does just pop into place. . I did it on my 50D and my 1D4, and it was so darn easy and no risk of any collateral damage at all.

See how easy it is:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=k5E3SqtdMeA (external link)

Just FYI, your "nothing to worry about and 10 minute job involving less than $100 in parts" involves a top plate and mirror box.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
6,499 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 12, 2018 23:04 |  #35

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18583642 (external link)
Just FYI, your "nothing to worry about and 10 minute job involving less than $100 in parts" involves a top plate and mirror box.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by shaunmcfd in
./showthread.php?p=185​83642&i=i72010633
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Wow....

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 13, 2018 01:01 |  #36

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18583642 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by shaunmcfd in
./showthread.php?p=185​83642&i=i72010633
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Canon service has been known to exaggerate problems.

I have had them repeatedly tell me that a lens needed a new focusing chassis, and I declined every time .... never had any problems with that lens focusing.

They tried to tell me I needed a new front element because mine was scratched ....... of course I declined and the lens works perfectly.

Was told I needed to have the mirror assembly replaced in my 5D, I declined, and it continued to work perfectly for years and years.

There are other things like this that they have said needed to be done, but I can't remember them all right now.

Just because Canon says something needs to be fixed or replaced doesn't mean that it really does. . But if it makes you "feel better", then by all means let 'em do it. . But it is unnecessary.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
780 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 13, 2018 06:33 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #37

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Frodge
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Frodge.

Mar 13, 2018 06:40 as a reply to  @ shaunmcfd's post |  #38

I agree with Reichner. They’re like car dealerships. Always the worst case scenario. I work on my own cars 85% of the time. I’ve had guys tell me I need $1500 suspension rebuild because of a bad belt on a single tire. Whatever makes you feel better. People usually feel progressively better and better the more and more they pay for something.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,223 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 13, 2018 07:08 |  #39

Frodge wrote in post #18584331 (external link)
I agree with Reichner. They’re like car dealerships. Always the worst case scenario. I work on my own cars 85% of the time. I’ve had guys tell me I need $1500 suspension rebuild because of a bad belt on a single tire. Whatever makes you feel better. People usually feel progressively better and better the more and more they pay for something.

Where in the world did you get that one!!

That's priceless......:rolleyes:

Good grief.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (6 edits in all)

Mar 13, 2018 07:23 |  #40

The oldest trick in the book to make someone complain less about spending money is to always give a scenario or quote that costs very high, then come back down to the realistic level, the person's resistance then drops significantly. Doesn't work for all folks, but it is an interesting psychological study. Not only works when we are taking about monetary situations, but also in general societal conditions. A person's sense of relief is inversely proportional to their resistance to something. :)

We should have all stated that this was going to be a $1000 repair bill, and when it was received for $661, think how much "better" that looks. :(

That would make me sick too, but with the value of the 5D4 being so high still, there isn't much else to be done except to fix it. You would likely lose more in a sale in its current state.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
780 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 13, 2018 08:00 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #41

So I should have replied to Canon and told them I didn't believe them and to send my stuff back because I am going to fix it myself? I have had this body for less than 5 months. I am not about to attempt to fix something when I don't know what the exact problem is because someone on an internet forum told me having the factory fix it was unnecessary. Because you saw one picture that I took of a small part of the exterior of the camera you can determine that it was a simple fix and I was concerned over nothing? Your comments genuinely confuse me.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 13, 2018 08:26 |  #42

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18584364 (external link)
So I should have replied to Canon and told them I didn't believe them and to send my stuff back because I am going to fix it myself?

Yes!

I mean, there's no need to tell them that you don't believe them - that's unnecessary.

But what you could tell them is that you are deciding not to have them go ahead with the repairs, and to please send the camera back to you. . Then you order a couple of mounts off of eBay and unscrew the busted mounts and screw the new ones into place. . Then the camera will work just fine and take pictures just like it did before you dropped it (without having to do the other stuff they said they need to fix).

Basically, you treat the camera the same way you would treat a car - do all of the repairs yourself that you possibly can and only succumb to paying for repairs when it literally won't go forward anymore. . Otherwise, you run the risk of paying for something that maybe didn't absolutely have to be done.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 13, 2018 19:57 |  #43

I can't comment about the camera repairs as I simply have never done any!

However the broken lens mount is hardly a biggie. I replaced the mount on a friend's lens because it looked a little tatty, cost £20 for the part and took 20 mins to do. Naturally that would have been a lot quicker if I hadn't wasted time making Tea and if I knew what I was doing! Having a couple of small (cheap) JIS screwdrivers is handy too.

Hope you can find a way to reduce the bill.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,863 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 13, 2018 22:25 |  #44

To the OP. I don't even know why you wasted your money buying the 5D4. You should have just made one yourself in your shed. It can't be that hard.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,863 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 13, 2018 22:28 |  #45

johnf3f wrote in post #18584964 (external link)
I can't comment about the camera repairs as I simply have never done any!

However the broken lens mount is hardly a biggie. I replaced the mount on a friend's lens because it looked a little tatty, cost £20 for the part and took 20 mins to do. Naturally that would have been a lot quicker if I hadn't wasted time making Tea and if I knew what I was doing! Having a couple of small (cheap) JIS screwdrivers is handy too.

Hope you can find a way to reduce the bill.

So what should the OP do in the case of the video Tom linked:
(one of the scews had material on the threads, ie whatever the screw screws into)
Should the OP just be happy with 3 screws instead of 4?
See how easy it is:https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=k5E3SqtdMeA (external link)

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

sponsored links

13,681 views & 49 likes for this thread
I’m about sick to my stomach! Graphic photos ahead...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.