Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Mar 2018 (Friday) 08:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox SB-UE 31.5 inch softbox

Patbil10
352 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 09, 2018 08:34 |  #1

Hi guys and gals. I'm looking to buy a softbox. The one I wanted originally was the Gloe Parapop 38", however the price is just too high. Anyone here using the Godox SB-UE 31.5 " ? If so, can you provide feedback on how it is to use it ? Light quality ?

I'll be using it with a bowens mount, AD-B2 bracket and 2 AD200 flashes.

Thanks for all the feedback. :-)

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

sponsored links
Grumpy_one
578 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Grumpy_one. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2018 10:31 |  #2

Here's my thoughts, even though I don't own either of the ones mentioned: The Glow 38" will be better constructed, has a baffle and will work well and last you years. The Godox will be a bit harsher, will be a lower build quality, may not last as long, but YMMV depending on what kind of shooting you'll be doing and how often you'll be pulling it out.
I've been researching new softboxes to replace the relics I have now. And those were/are two that I've been looking at. Been watching a few youtube vids on comparison's and been getting a 'feeling' of what these softboxes are about. In my opinion, you get what you pay for, somewhat, some of these softboxes might be a bit overpriced for what you can get somewhere else to do the same job. Westcott makes a rapid beauty dish for 299.99 (Joel Grimes endorsed). Gets good reviews and I'm sure it works well, but you're paying for a name. They can be had for around 199.99 used on Ebay.
As far as the Godox you're looking at, you cant go wrong for 60.00. The Godox product line is front runner for me for a new softbox. I'm looking for something that sets up and breaks down easily in the field. The Godox line seems to do that well. And for the kind of shooting Im doing and the clientele I cater to, noone is really going to notice if the shadows are a bit harsher than a mola beauty dish at 600.00 a pop. Good luck

edit: and for the record, what kind of shooting is this for? Indoor studio, outdoor, seniors, team sports? Professional, hobbyist?

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

Patbil10
THREAD ­ STARTER
352 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 09, 2018 11:06 |  #3

Grumpy_one wrote in post #18581105 (external link)
edit: and for the record, what kind of shooting is this for? Indoor studio, outdoor, seniors, team sports? Professional, hobbyist?

Thanks for answer and recommendation ! :-) My plan is to use the softbox for both indoor/outdoor portrait shoots. Some group shots as well and I have a shoot through umbrella I can use along with the softbox. That's why I opted for the AD200's....I can split them up when I don't need the full 400W.

This is mostly a hobby with a few paid gigs here and there.

Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon EOS M5, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II,Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 35mm Art, Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8, EF-M 22mm f/2, Canon ef-m 15-45, Rokinon 14mm f2.8 and other stuff...

sporadic
559 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 09, 2018 12:25 |  #4

I have the 48" version. Very quick to setup after you initially put it together. The Bowens fit feels sloppy, but could be my S-bracket as I don't have any other Bowens gear to compare it with. Happy with the purchase though, price was right. Here's a shot with it setup - https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18566593

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
7D | 300/4 L IS

Grumpy_one
578 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 09, 2018 13:22 |  #5

If it's for hobby and you don't have a business to write off your equipment, go for the 60.00 box. You'll be happy

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,837 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz. (3 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2018 22:30 |  #6

My pet peeve why folks have all the top cameras, lenses and then want to cheap out on lighting gear. That out of the way, Cheetahstand has some nice modifiers. Personally I own Photoflex. They are not foldable types but have worked well over the years. Paul buff stuff is also nice, you just need to change the speedring insert to use with bowen strobes. Some folks here give good marks to Fotodiox but I can't imagine their grids to be good at the prices they charge.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Grumpy_one
578 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 10, 2018 10:56 |  #7

As far as cheap gear, I think it comes down to amount of use. I used to buy Snap On tools because it's what I make my living at. But for home, you'll see harbor freight tools in my box in the garage. Some...but not all. My tools are slowing migrating from work to home the older I get. That's another story. The point is, there's a place for cheap gear as long as you know where that place is. My photography business picks up more and more every year and I'm replacing my previous cheap gear for more professional gear. I started with a used 20D years ago, I now have several body's, the latest being a BNIB 1DXii. As time goes on, you'll just figure out needs and wants. But until it's figured it, no reason not to go cheap, especially if it's a hobby and you cant write off your equipment. My business pays for all the gear now, has been for years, nothing comes out of my personal accounts, so no reason to go cheap. If it's personal pleasure vs pleasing paying customers, leave the guesswork out of the equation with good/professional gear, nobody to blame except the operator.

There are sooo many choices out there for equipment, from camera's which is the main workhorse of equipment, to stands, modifiers, triggers, and the thing that sucks, is that camera stores are disappearing. It's not like you can go the the local camera store and look at this stuff hands on anymore. Nowadays the only stores left here in Portland are pretty limited to brand names they carry, which is good stuff, don't get me wrong, but the choices are limited. The smaller stores that were in the neighborhoods are gone which makes selection tuff. There's nothing worse than buying something online and then opening the box and setting it up and it was nothing like you thought it was going to be like via the online description. For that reason, cheap can work. I like to have something in my hands before I make a decision. But that limits my purchases. So now I depend on the good people here and youtube vids like this one https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=fMsHgfPb0s (external link)
It's not hands on but its the next best thing. Good luck

I shoot Canon's

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
815 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Mar 10, 2018 17:49 |  #8

Softlighter

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Patbil10
THREAD ­ STARTER
352 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 11, 2018 18:06 |  #9

bobbyz wrote in post #18581461 (external link)
My pet peeve why folks have all the top cameras, lenses and then want to cheap out on lighting gear.

The cameras and lenses are always used....softboxes, strobes and triggers, not as much. The softbox I really want is the 38" Parapop from Glow....however paying $220 US is a bit much....

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,837 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz.

Mar 12, 2018 00:27 |  #10

Patbil10 wrote in post #18583058 (external link)
The cameras and lenses are always used....softboxes, strobes and triggers, not as much. The softbox I really want is the 38" Parapop from Glow....however paying $220 US is a bit much....

I have this SP Systems 37" octa which is like Elinchrom deep octa. I think I paid < $150 7-8 if not more yrs ago. Using outdoors mostly and really like what it does. It is not available anymore.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …EZ_Softbox_Octa​gonal.html (external link)

AB has this 47" octa
https://www.paulcbuff.​com/47-foldable-octabox.html (external link)

Cheetahstand has this:
http://www.cheetahstan​d.com/product-p/rb-90t.htm (external link)

For AD200 I just use a Photoflex medium SB. I think I bought that 10+ yrs ago.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Grumpy_one
578 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 13, 2018 10:06 |  #11

Don't be afraid to go on CL either. I bought my first set of softboxes, stands, booms, from this guy getting out of the business for a real good price, considering what it would cost new. I paid around 400.00 for all these softboxes, stands, booms, 2 super clamps, and some accessories. I don't use the big long one, maybe twice. They don't have grids, not sure how I would even get grids for these they're so old. Something I'll have to look into.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I shoot Canon's

sponsored links

4,366 views & 4 likes for this thread
Godox SB-UE 31.5 inch softbox
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.