Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 10:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting on 2 Cards on my Canon 5d Mk4 "surprise"?

lukasgunar
292 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 13, 2018 10:52 |  #1

Hello Fora,
I have been shooting on my Canon 5d Mk4 utilizing both slots - Compact Flash and SD for couple of months now but did not have time to process my pictures so haven't really removed any of the cards from the camera until this morning.
I needed to download couple of pics for one project I have been working on so I removed my CF card, downloaded roughly 15 pics and placed it back to the camera (so no formatting, no deleting, nothing).
Today I continued with my project, took roughly 20 pics and when reviewing them I have noticed that I can see only those 20 pics, while the rest was not there (couple hundred pics).
So I removed CF card and checked what is on SD card and realized there are only those 20 pics from today.
Then I placed back CF card and removed SD card and noticed there are all remaining pics (those couple hundred) but those 20 from SD card are not there.
When checking the setup of my camera, my primary card to which the camera is supposed to write is CF card and I was hoping to have a back-up on SD card.
This does not seem to be the case which is absolutely weird.
So my 2 questions:
1. How is it possible that today the camera started to record today's pics to SD card if my primary card for recording is CF card?
2. How is it possible that SD card is not just a copy of CF?

Any hints?
Thank you

Canon EOS 5D MkIV, Canon EOS 30D

Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,183 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Archibald.

Mar 13, 2018 10:57 |  #2

lukasgunar wrote in post #18584490 (external link)
Hello Fora,
I have been shooting on my Canon 5d Mk4 utilizing both slots - Compact Flash and SD for couple of months now but did not have time to process my pictures so haven't really removed any of the cards from the camera until this morning.
I needed to download couple of pics for one project I have been working on so I removed my CF card, downloaded roughly 15 pics and placed it back to the camera (so no formatting, no deleting, nothing).
Today I continued with my project, took roughly 20 pics and when reviewing them I have noticed that I can see only those 20 pics, while the rest was not there (couple hundred pics).
So I removed CF card and checked what is on SD card and realized there are only those 20 pics from today.
Then I placed back CF card and removed SD card and noticed there are all remaining pics (those couple hundred) but those 20 from SD card are not there.
When checking the setup of my camera, my primary card to which the camera is supposed to write is CF card and I was hoping to have a back-up on SD card.
This does not seem to be the case which is absolutely weird.
So my 2 questions:
1. How is it possible that today the camera started to record today's pics to SD card if my primary card for recording is CF card?
2. How is it possible that SD card is not just a copy of CF?

Any hints?
Thank you

If there is only one card in the camera, the camera will switch to that card. Did you turn the camera on when one card had been removed?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 13, 2018 11:01 |  #3

Archibald wrote in post #18584496 (external link)
If there is only one card in the camera, the camera will switch to that card. Did you turn the camera on when one card had been removed?

^This.

I also have been having difficulty with two cards in the camera. I have learned that you need to watch the indicator (I use the Q button display) to know what's going on and to switch which card is being used when necessary.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

lukasgunar
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 13, 2018 11:01 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #4

Hello mate,
I removed CF just for downloading of mentioned 15 pics and then returned it back, so there was absolutely no shooting involved while CF card was off.
Also while removing the card the camera was switched off.

Btw.
I have the answer for my 2nd question, the fault was on my side because once inserting 2 cards there is one more setting to be enabled on Mk4 camera which I had to miss, precisely
- on the wrench tab
- on the first page, setting called "Record func+card/folder sel."
- "Record func." setting needs to be set up to "Rec. to multiple"

this was not the case

However I still don't understand how come the camera started to record today's pics to SD card if the recording to CF card was the primary setup.

Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,183 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 13, 2018 11:06 |  #5

lukasgunar wrote in post #18584506 (external link)
Hello mate,
I removed CF just for downloading of mentioned 15 pics and then returned it back, so there was absolutely no shooting involved while CF card was off.

Btw.
I have the answer for my 2nd question, the fault was on my side because once inserting 2 cards there is one more setting to be enabled on Mk4 camera which I had to miss, precisely
- on the wrench tab

this was not the case

However I still don't understand how come the camera started to record today's pics to SD card if the recording to CF card was the primary setup.

Most likely there was a moment when the camera was on and there was only the SD card present.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

coopernut
20 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 13, 2018 20:23 |  #6

lukasgunar wrote in post #18584506 (external link)
Hello mate,

Btw.
- on the wrench tab

this was not the case

Did you close the card door while you were downloading the files? My 7D2 will do what you are talking about but only if I close the door while the card is out. If I do not close the door with the card out of the camera it will not change to the other card after I put the card back and close the door.

pbrimages
322 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 13, 2018 21:11 |  #7

Archibald wrote in post #18584513 (external link)
Most likely there was a moment when the camera was on and there was only the SD card present.

My thoughts exactly. One thing I have learned with my 1Dx is that the newer cameras are never really "off", unless you pull the battery. E.g.: if I turn off the camera and then pull the card, the status light will flash when the door is closed (on both removal and reinsertion, if I remember correctly). I assume this implies a card check and that the door is closed. This is probably similar on the 5d IV

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,277 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 13, 2018 21:51 |  #8

Closing the door, regardless of the on/off status of the camera, tells it to reevaluate what cards are there, and it will switch to the card that is in the slot. This is why as you switched cards and closed the door, you were inadvertantly swapping between cards. It has to do this, however annoying.

I usually never close the door when I pull out cards, because I write JPG to the SD and raw to the CF, and don't want the camera to completely switch everything to the CF. Therefore the door stays open as I pull images off the SD, then I insert the SD back and close the door. No issues.

My issue has always been that when I record raw to one card and jpg to another, when I cull images on the camera, it only culls the file on the playback card and leaves ALL files on the backup card. This causes issues when I take over 500 shots per game, but only end up with 200-230 after the game. One card has over 500 raws, and the SD has the 200-230 JPGs. I have to manually delete or pull the respective raws now. :(

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

lukasgunar
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by lukasgunar. (2 edits in all)

Mar 14, 2018 03:15 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #9

Hello folks!
First of all many thanks for your invaluable feedback!
I have just tested all the scenarios you have advised on and here is the summary:

1. once there are 2 cards in the camera while you don't set up your camera to back-up photos from primary card to secondary card, then no matter which card is set as primary for recording, if you remove the primary card and close the card-slot doors, the camera automatically switches recording to the other card making it primary one (and as mentioned by you guys, it does not matter that the camera was all the time switched off) --> obviously it is meant here that the card which was removed is placed back so you have again 2 cards in your camera!
2. this is not the case if you set up the camera to back-up pics to the 2nd card as upon placing the removed card back to the camera it will record to both cards HOWEVER the Playback order will change. In other words if you set up your camera in a way that Playback should happen from your faster card, e.g. CF card, once you remove CF card from the camera and shut the camera slot doors this will change the source for Playback on your camera and suddenly your SD card will become the one from which the Playback will run
[Playback can be located here:
- Wrench tab
- Page 1
- Record func+card/folder sel. menu
- Playback

so in this scenario, you will have to manually change the sequence if you prefer Playback to take place from your faster card

3. none of these 2 scenarios will occur if you just remove the card, DON'T SHUT card-slot doors and place the card back

Again guys, big THANKS for your invaluable feedback!
Have a great day!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,277 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 14, 2018 06:13 |  #10

Canon really needs to make an option for the user. I should be able to decide whether my dual card settings are "sticky" or not so that I can indeed pull cards, do things, and put cards back, and not have the settings changed around on me.

I can see why they are doing what they are automatically because there are other situations where that is indeed the desired behavior (when you are writing to one card and have it fall automatically to the other as the first fills up, for example), but not when I have file types split between them.

It has been this way since the dual slotted 1D and they haven't made improved this mode any in all the years of 2 slots.

lukasgunar
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 14, 2018 06:49 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #11

Yes I understand your frustration in your mentioned scenario.

Couple of questions as the only option for you is to find some good workaround.

1. what are those JPEGs for?
2. Are you using them at all?
3. Do you create JPEGs just for reviewing purposes so it loads faster while reviewing and culling in your camera?

Let us know as I have some hints in my head but firstly need to understand your process.

Thank you

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,277 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Mar 14, 2018 07:42 |  #12

lukasgunar wrote in post #18585240 (external link)
Yes I understand your frustration in your mentioned scenario.

Couple of questions as the only option for you is to find some good workaround.

1. what are those JPEGs for?
2. Are you using them at all?
3. Do you create JPEGs just for reviewing purposes so it loads faster while reviewing and culling in your camera?

Let us know as I have some hints in my head but firstly need to understand your process.

Thank you

I know that the raw files have the embedded JPGs, and presume that is where you are headed. :)

I am taking hundreds of shots at a game, and want the in-camera JPGs as I have my camera set up perfectly for that use. I could add a step in my workflow to extract the JPG from the raws, then move on with the workflow I already have, but this takes time as it, and I won't get paid for adding more post processing time. I only keep the raw in case of missed exposures, or other errors on a good shot. I also need the fastest burst speed I can muster, so this means raw goes to a really fast CF card, and jpegs go to the SD card (smaller, easier to transfer SD to laptop).

These days, when I get back to processing the JPGs for a game, I simply open the door, pop the SD, transfer the files off, and put the SD back in, then close the door. It has become a habit. However the other complication exists, for which again Canon hasn't given users an option, and that is when playing back off one card, and you have files going to both cards, if I delete an image, all related files on both cards should be deleted (User Option is fine in the menu even).

So Canon could add 2 options to the Play menu somewhere to control these 2 aspects of dual card shooting.

lukasgunar
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 14, 2018 08:25 |  #13

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18585289 (external link)
I know that the raw files have the embedded JPGs, and presume that is where you are headed. :)

I am taking hundreds of shots at a game, and want the in-camera JPGs as I have my camera set up perfectly for that use. I could add a step in my workflow to extract the JPG from the raws, then move on with the workflow I already have, but this takes time as it, and I won't get paid for adding more post processing time. I only keep the raw in case of missed exposures, or other errors on a good shot. I also need the fastest burst speed I can muster, so this means raw goes to a really fast CF card, and jpegs go to the SD card (smaller, easier to transfer SD to laptop).

These days, when I get back to processing the JPGs for a game, I simply open the door, pop the SD, transfer the files off, and put the SD back in, then close the door. It has become a habit. However the other complication exists, for which again Canon hasn't given users an option, and that is when playing back off one card, and you have files going to both cards, if I delete an image, all related files on both cards should be deleted (User Option is fine in the menu even).

So Canon could add 2 options to the Play menu somewhere to control these 2 aspects of dual card shooting.

Thank you for your explanation, I understand now your workflow.
Unfortunately, it seems that apart from sorting the images from 2 cards on your computer there is no other way for your flow.
I agree that Canon should have done it differently. If back-up image creation is allowed which in your case is jpeg, then it should work also the other way around, once erasing one format the other one should get deleted as well (or at least it should give an option for different tastes). Someone might like keeping one format while other users like you not.

Sorry I was not able to help -?

chuckmiller
620 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Mar 16, 2018 14:57 |  #14

I just recently changed my strategy on recording. Formerly I sent the RAW to the CF and the JPG to the SD. Now I let both cards receive RAW and JPG for backup reasons just incase one card fails. I know this means I'll fill a card faster but like everyone I have numerous spare cards at hand so now I prefer to know I have a backup. Both cards are 64GB and when the CF fills with fat RAWs I change out both cards so they match. I feel more secure this way.

Retiring from Fire/Rescue after 37 years on 6/30/2020 and counting the days

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,943 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by John from PA.

Mar 16, 2018 15:27 |  #15

Just a thought, I suspect this strange behavior does not occur if you do a direct camera to computer transfer using a cable as opposed to yanking the card. I don't own a 5DIV to test, but quoting from the manual (page 466)...

You can connect the camera to a computer and operate the camera to transfer images on the card to the computer. This is called direct image transfer.

sponsored links

6,046 views & 4 likes for this thread
Shooting on 2 Cards on my Canon 5d Mk4 "surprise"?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.