Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Mar 2018 (Monday) 08:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Not sure what to call what I am asking.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,610 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2018 08:31 |  #1

I am trying to find out if Canon flashes (550EX, 580EX II) can be set up to fire in response to another flash going off. Example: Shooting a Yashica FX-D w/Yashica CS-220 flash in Auto mode. Can I set up my Canon's for fill/BG and have them auto-fire when the the camera-mounted 220 fires? I'm thinking not.

Do other units do this?

Tom

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2018 09:24 |  #2

You want them to act as slave units. They don't do this by themselves but you can buy a slave attachedment for them to slave in manual mode. http://flashzebra.com/​products/0118/index.sh​tml (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,343 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 12, 2018 09:45 |  #3

Also keep in mind that a built in canon flash is always in ttl mode and fires a preflash. If you don't use flash exposure lock, your optical slave flashes probably won't behave as expected.

Obviously this goes for OCF TTL triggers too.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

OceanRipple*
817 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by OceanRipple*. (5 edits in all)

Mar 12, 2018 10:49 |  #4

The CS 220 itself did not require a pre-flash - so that's easy.

All Canon Ex Speedlites require a subset of add-on slave units to drive them (Edit: Not a 'Slave' in 'CanonSpeak'). So as Gonzo implied, they must be 'Canon EX Compatible'. These tend to be about 1 stop less sensitive than generic slave units so be prepared to optimise the light path, whether direct or bounced, from the driving unit to the slave. A corded slave can sometimes help with this - might as well have a threaded pc lock.

Built-in flash units on the 7D and higher/later can have their flash Mode set to M - and - 'Wireless' disabled - which loses any pre-flashes.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2018 12:03 |  #5

Also consider the investment. I don't know what sourcing these slave units would cost in the UK, but you are nearly halfway to the cost of some cheap flashes built in slaves like the yn560.

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,610 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2018 16:38 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18583532 (external link)
Also keep in mind that a built in canon flash is always in ttl mode and fires a preflash. If you don't use flash exposure lock, your optical slave flashes probably won't behave as expected.

Obviously this goes for OCF TTL triggers too.

Simply not true. All EX units have a manual mode, my 80D built-in has a manual mode, the CS-220 doesn't do TTL, so no pre-flash there, either.

I am talking about controlling CANON EX flash, from an old-style AUTO-Flash, no pre-flash anywhere here.

Tom

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,610 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2018 16:39 |  #7

gonzogolf wrote in post #18583514 (external link)
You want them to act as slave units. They don't do this by themselves but you can buy a slave attachedment for them to slave in manual mode. http://flashzebra.com/​products/0118/index.sh​tml (external link)

Interesting. Thanks.

Tom

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,610 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 12, 2018 16:43 |  #8

I think there may be some confusion here, though it may be on my part. I interpret slave as a unit controlled by another unit. Such as on-camera and remote EX units. That is not what I'm looking for. What I want is a something to FORCE an EX unit to fire when my FX-D fires the on-camera CS-220 which has no pre-flash, and no way to control the remotes units: a pure "I flashed because you flashed REACTION."

I think gonzo in post #2 has what I need. Will research more, in a bit.

Tom

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 12, 2018 19:15 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18583895 (external link)
Simply not true. All EX units have a manual mode, my 80D built-in has a manual mode, the CS-220 doesn't do TTL, so no pre-flash there, either.

I am talking about controlling CANON EX flash, from an old-style AUTO-Flash, no pre-flash anywhere here.

Not all built in flashes on canon cameras allow you a mode without a preflash.thats only available on the newest models.

ra40
386 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by ra40.

Mar 12, 2018 19:19 |  #10

AFAIK the Canon units do not have a dumb optical trigger option. I have been using the 600EX RTII in optical mode to trigger the 580EX set to "slave" mode. The 600 will adjust the output of the 580EX in the ratio section so I use the 580 as a group B flash. C is also available.

With a non-Canon unit you can use a variety of aftermarket radio triggers and set each flash manually for the output desired.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,726 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 12, 2018 19:20 |  #11

I use these optical triggers. They do the job.

https://www.amazon.com …ket-JSYK-3A/dp/B00S3Z8ODY (external link)

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,610 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 13, 2018 00:29 |  #12

gonzogolf wrote in post #18584031 (external link)
Not all built in flashes on canon cameras allow you a mode without a preflash.thats only available on the newest models.

True, but irrelevant. I am controlling flash with a 30 year old manual film camera,. Not a Canon dslr.

Tom

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
7,610 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 13, 2018 00:31 |  #13

Chet wrote in post #18584036 (external link)
I use these optical triggers. They do the job.

https://www.amazon.com …ket-JSYK-3A/dp/B00S3Z8ODY (external link)

Thanks, Chet. Cheaper than the other ones

Tom

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 13, 2018 01:38 |  #14

Bassat wrote in post #18584223 (external link)
True, but irrelevant. I am controlling flash with a 30 year old manual film camera,. Not a Canon dslr.

Not entirely irrelevant give your rather curt answer above to left handed brisket.

ra40
386 posts
Gallery: 159 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 13, 2018 14:05 |  #15

Went to read up a bit on the 550, the 580EXII will control the 550EX in optical mode. This is the same as I am doing with the 600 and 580 allowing three groups, A,B,C. If you want to future ready this system a radio trigger system. That way there won't be line of sight issues from camera to remote flash. The dumb mode optical triggers will be the least expensive.

sponsored links

4,970 views & 0 likes for this thread
Not sure what to call what I am asking.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.