Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 13:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best bang for the buck backdrops?

Aressem
Goldmember
4,355 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 13, 2018 13:30 |  #1

I currently have a couple 9’ seamless paper backdrops. White and grey. The cloth muslin backdrops are really starting to grow on me, though they’re quite expensive! Anyone know of any decent wrinkle free cloth backdrops that won’t break the bank? Links greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Strobo
100 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 13, 2018 14:31 |  #2

What sizes do you need? You'll find quite reasonable prices on 10x12 muslin backdrops, usually under $100. I bought a 10x12 last summer for a one time use - iirc it was under $20 at Amazon.

Spats139
411 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by Spats139.

Mar 13, 2018 18:05 |  #3

I have bought a few of these hand painted, muslin backdrops. I haven't used them a lot yet, but I have found that if you have a good subject-backdrop distance, and an appropriate aperture, they do the job quite nicely. For $26CDN for 6x9 to $60CDN for 10x20 the price seems good. The company ships from a Canadian location as well as one in the USA. They caution about washing, but I put mine in a short, cold wash and then a gentle dryer cycle to get out the wrinkles from being folded for shipping, and there was no noticeable change in appearance. I did think that there were a lot of small wrinkles left in them, until upon a closer look I realized they were lines from the painting; none of which can be seen in a final image. I also just stuff them into pillow cases for storage, so there are no straight wrinkles from folding when I use them.

PS. I also cut my 10x20 into two 10x10s so that they are easier to handle. If I lay one on the floor and just drape the backdrop on it you can't tell that they're not one piece.

http://www.cowboystudi​o.ca …=5&cat=159&show​=32&page=1 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dale

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by RDKirk.

Mar 13, 2018 18:29 |  #4

The hard thing to find in an inexpensive backdrop is a subtle pattern. That's the primary feature of the expensive hand-painted ones--subtlety.

So far, the best combination of subtlety and low cost I've found so far are a couple of the Backdrop Alley backgrounds that I've gotten from Amazon. The Sandstone and the Gray Mist (if I let it go fairly dark) are subtle enough for my taste.

These also come with bags of the same fabric with handles--which turns out to be very handy.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best bang for the buck backdrops?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.