Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Mar 2018 (Thursday) 12:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D Suddenly Underexposes shots

Frodge
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 09, 2018 07:02 |  #16

I am talking about Toms camera.

sponsored links
trajectory ­ fish
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 09, 2018 07:54 |  #17

Thanks for the feedback, all!

I will take a good look at the Aperture and Lens combo. Before this issue, I did notice that underexposure happens when the 50mm 1.4 is wide open. Stopping it down to 1.8 or 2.8 is much better. Perhaps my 17-40 is doing it at tighter aperture... Further investigation on the way.

It would be nice to be able to just trot through the new city on Program AE without the shoddy screw-ups.

I'll try the factory reset and see how that goes. I will also try getting back over to Milan to get those shots again, but it might be a little while before I can do that.

http://bscarchdesphot.​com (external link)
Architecture | Product Design | Photography

trajectory ­ fish
THREAD ­ STARTER
116 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 09, 2018 08:56 |  #18

....Here's a quick screenshot of a post-processing stage:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

http://bscarchdesphot.​com (external link)
Architecture | Product Design | Photography

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,201 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 09, 2018 09:05 |  #19

You might also want to update the firmware or reinstall the firmware, as FW corruption can happen.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 09, 2018 09:06 |  #20

apersson850 wrote in post #18580879 (external link)
Does this apply also with different lenses used on the camera?

apersson850 wrote in post #18580893 (external link)
But returning the camera if the fault is in the lens doesn't help you very much.

I has happened with all three lenses I have used it with, so it's obviously not a lens problem.

In fact, I don't see how something like this could possibly have anything to do with a lens or a lens-to-body reporting issue.

Frodge wrote in post #18580883 (external link)
That’s an absurd quirk. I’d return it.

Return it? . Ha! . I bought it used.

Plus, it doesn't bother me. . I like the camera quite a bit and this doesn't affect my ability to produce keepers. . I don't consider this to be a problem; its just a quirk.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,201 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 09, 2018 09:15 |  #21

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18581035 (external link)
I has happened with all three lenses I have used it with, so it's obviously not a lens problem.

In fact, I don't see how something like this could possibly have anything to do with a lens or a lens-to-body reporting issue.

Return it? . Ha! . I bought it used.

Plus, it doesn't bother me. . I like the camera quite a bit and this doesn't affect my ability to produce keepers. . I don't consider this to be a problem; its just a quirk.

Whose camera are we talking about?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

RhodyPhotos
661 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by RhodyPhotos.

Mar 09, 2018 09:27 |  #22

trajectory fish wrote in post #18580996 (external link)
It would be nice to be able to just trot through the new city on Program AE without the shoddy screw-ups.

TBH, I would not trust the Program AE to give me the right exposure. And even if it did, you don't have control on the shutter speed or aperture or ISO.

Can you reproduce the issue in Av or Tv modes?

CC always welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 09, 2018 09:30 |  #23

Archibald wrote in post #18581039 (external link)
Whose camera are we talking about?

Seriously?

It is extremely obvious that I am talking about my camera.

Read my post again. . I use the word, "I" over and over and over again. . How could I possibly be talking about anybody's camera other than my own?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,803 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 11, 2018 09:39 |  #24

Well, it could be the lens, if the aperture inside the lens doesn't do what the camera asks it to do. Or if the command isn't transferred properly between camera and lens.
But in that case it would normally happen with one specific lens only, so it's void here.

Anders

chuckmiller
623 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 12, 2018 07:52 |  #25

Used body inspection check list:

1. is the battery door solid
2. is the memory door solid
49. does it wake up as slowly as I do??
;-)a

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18580785 (external link)
I just got a 6D for the first time about a month ago.

Sometimes, when I first use it, it will drastically underexpose shots. . It does this for a minute or two - anywhere from 2 to 10 frames. . Then it just kinda settles down and starts exposing properly.

It will also drastically over-expose shots. . When this happens, it is the same as when it underexposes - happens when I first pick up the camera, does it for a minute or two, and stops after several frames.

So I just make sure that if I haven't used the camera for a few hours, and pick it up to use it, to rip off a few test frames just to let it get this erratic exposure stuff out of its system.

Retiring from Fire/Rescue after 37 years on 6/30/2020 and counting the days

Jon_Doh
861 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 13, 2018 08:10 |  #26

I've had that happen when using a teleconverter and also dialing in exposure compensation and forgetting about it. Check and make sure you haven't accidentally dialed in an underexposure.

I use a Kodak Brownie

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,249 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by amfoto1.

Mar 13, 2018 11:45 |  #27

You also might try using Evaluative Metering instead of Center Weighted.

Evaluative puts extra emphasis on your point of focus and is fairly "smart".

Center Weighted is "old school" type of metering. Can work fine, but you have to take into account that it's putting emphasis on the central portion of the image and dial in Exposure Compensation accordingly. How large the extra emphasis area of the image is and how much extra emphasis is given to it, versus the remainder of the images area, varies a bit from camera model to model, brand to brand. You might find more info in advanced documentation for the camera... or just learn through experience. You should learn how the camera handles all it's metering modes: Evaluative, Center Weighted, Partial and Spot.

But with either type of metering, the sunlit exterior of the cathedral and relatively clear sky above it are likely to cause under-exposure, very much like what you saw. That's what Exposure Compensation is for!

Any time you get a new camera, there's a learning curve getting accustomed to it. Doesn't sound to me like there's a "problem"... just new-user error and failure to make necessary adjustments.

Use the histogram to check your shots.... should have warned you that exterior shot was under-exposed so you could make adjustments and re-shoot.

Another way to achieve better exposures is use a separate, hand held "incident" light meter. The meter in your camera measures light being REFLECTED OFF your subject, but the camera has no idea what it's being pointed at, so it wants to make everything "average gray". When a subject is a bit lighter than average (such as the sunlit walls of that cathedral and the bright sky above it), it will want to underexpose the image. If you were photographing a black bear in a coal mine it would want to overexpose. That's just the nature of reflective metering that all cameras use and why most cameras have means of doing Exposure Compensation, so you can override the metering system when needed.

However, when used properly an incident meter measures the light FALLING ONTO the subject, rather than what's being reflected off of it. As a result, the meter isn't influenced by the tonality of the subject and Exposure Compensation generally isn't needed. (You still may want to skew exposure a little one way or another for special effect, but that's different.) An incident meter can be used to check the auto exposure settings the camera is trying to use... or it can be used to set accurate manual exposures.

Actually you can learn to judge a lot of common situations by eye and set exposure that way.

In the end, I don't think there's anything wrong with the camera.... at least not judging from the sample images shown. Those look much like I'd expect them to, if shot using highly automated modes with little effort by the user to correct for some of the nuances of subject lighting. I think it's mostly just that you are still pretty early in the learning curve with a new camera', will with time get more accustomed to how it works and what input it needs from you.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,201 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 13, 2018 11:48 |  #28

amfoto1 wrote in post #18584543 (external link)
You also might try using Evaluative Metering instead of Center Weighted.

Evaluative puts extra emphasis on your point of focus and is fairly "smart".

Center Weighted is "old school" type of metering. Can work fine, but you have to take into account that it's putting emphasis on the central portion of the image and dial in Exposure Compensation accordingly.

But with either type of metering, the sunlit exterior of the cathedral and relatively clear sky above it are likely to cause under-exposure, very much like what you saw. That's what Exposure Compensation is for!

Any time you get a new camera, there's a learning curve getting accustomed to it. Doesn't sound to me like there's a "problem"... just new-user error and failure to make necessary adjustments.

Use the histogram to check your shots.... should have warned you that exterior shot was under-exposed so you could make adjustments and re-shoot.

Another way to achieve better exposures is use a separate, hand held "incident" light meter. The meter in your camera measures light being REFLECTED OFF your subject, but the camera has no idea what it's being pointed at, so it wants to make everything "average gray". When a subject is a bit lighter than average (such as the sunlit walls of that cathedral and the bright sky above it), it will want to underexpose the image. If you were photographing a black bear in a coal mine it would want to overexpose. That's just the nature of reflective metering that all cameras use and why most cameras have means of doing Exposure Compensation, so you can override the metering system when needed.

However, when used properly an incident meter measures the light FALLING ONTO the subject, rather than what's being reflected off of it. As a result, the meter isn't influenced by the tonality of the subject and Exposure Compensation generally isn't needed. (You still may want to skew exposure a little one way or another for special effect, but that's different.) An incident meter can be used to check the auto exposure settings the camera is trying to use... or it can be used to set accurate manual exposures.

Actually you can learn to judge a lot of common situations by eye and set exposure that way.

In the end, I don't think there's anything wrong with the camera.... at least not judging from the sample images shown. Those look much like I'd expect them to, if shot using highly automated modes with little effort by the user to correct for some of the nuances of subject lighting. I think it's mostly just that you are still pretty early in the learning curve with a new camera', will with time get more accustomed to how it works and what input it needs from you.

??

What gives you the idea that it is a new camera?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,249 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 13, 2018 15:29 |  #29

Archibald wrote in post #18584550 (external link)
??

What gives you the idea that it is a new camera?

You're correct. Re-reading the original post, I see the user has had the camera for a few years. Still, it sounds as if they are using it pretty much on auto-pilot and may have room to learn some more about it, to get better results.

My main point was that the sample images are actually very much what I'd expect if relying upon the camera's internal, reflective metering system set to Center Weighted and an auto exposure mode. There are several ways user input could have made for a more accurate exposure.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

normware
44 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 14, 2018 09:56 |  #30

More questions

1) what mode? aperture shutter program or manual
2) what was the white balance setting?

Canon 6D II - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art - Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C - Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art - Tamron 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di VC PZD | Coming soon Rokinon 85MM with chip
Canon M5 - EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM - EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM
Luminar 2018 , Aurora HDR 2018, Creative Kit 2018

sponsored links

12,657 views & 11 likes for this thread
6D Suddenly Underexposes shots
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.