Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Instangram??? What?

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 13, 2018 15:47 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

This is bugging me. I have people asking me if I have an IG account. Apparently, they want to tag my photos to my IG account. Do I need one? I use FB extensively to upload photos and to update race shots..I mainly shoot cycling races in NYC. What am I supposed to do with an IG account since I don't use my phone to shoot photos? Besides shooting races, I don't really upload much photos.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 13, 2018 16:42 |  #2

TooManyShots wrote in post #18584779 (external link)
This is bugging me. I have people asking me if I have an IG account. Apparently, they want to tag my photos to my IG account. Do I need one? I use FB extensively to upload photos and to update race shots..I mainly shoot cycling races in NYC. What am I supposed to do with an IG account since I don't use my phone to shoot photos? Besides shooting races, I don't really upload much photos.

If you have people that want to promote you on IG, it would seem to me that having an IG account would be worthwhile. Post your absolute best shots there, and let others tag you in your images that they share on their pages.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,182 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 13, 2018 16:52 |  #3

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18584821 (external link)
If you have people that want to promote you on IG, it would seem to me that having an IG account would be worthwhile. Post your absolute best shots there, and let others tag you in your images that they share on their pages.

There's a kernel to the OP's question that I also share. How does a non-phone photographer interact with and/or put photos ON Insta when their entire ecosystem is built around mobile photography?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by Scatterbrained.

Mar 13, 2018 16:54 |  #4

Snydremark wrote in post #18584829 (external link)
There's a kernel to the OP's question that I also share. How does a non-phone photographer interact with and/or put photos ON Insta when their entire ecosystem is built around mobile photography?

I download images from my flickr page to my phone and then load them to IG. I only load 1024px images to flickr so it works out that they are large enough for any mobile device, but not large enough for anyone to print.

edit: a side benefit to this is that I have the images on my phone, so if I'm out somewhere and I'm talking to someone I can show them the images without having to open up an app, or check that I have service.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by jcothron.

Mar 13, 2018 16:57 |  #5

There is an instagram plugin. Lrinstagram I believe it is called. I used it for a while but got rid of it when I got rid of instagram.

Sorry, it is for Lightroom....if you are using Lightroom

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,182 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 13, 2018 16:59 |  #6

jcothron wrote in post #18584832 (external link)
There is an instagram plugin. Lrinstagram I believe it is called. I used it for a while but got rid of it when I got rid of instagram.

Sorry, it is for Lightroom....if you are using Lightroom

interesting info; thanks for the clarification

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,335 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 13, 2018 18:32 |  #7

If you're wanting to post on Instagram from your pc it's easy. For Chrome and Firefox browsers you can install the add on "user agent switcher". This allows you to access Instagram as an android or Apple iPhone and add images from your pc.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,765 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 13, 2018 18:41 |  #8

Every working photographer should have an IG account IMO.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 13, 2018 22:49 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18584890 (external link)
Every working photographer should have an IG account IMO.

I will think about it but I still think it isn't for me. I just checked few Instagram accounts and....they are largely collections of Meh photos....:) I can shoot in square format.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,938 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 13, 2018 23:27 |  #10

TooManyShots wrote in post #18585066 (external link)
I will think about it but I still think it isn't for me. I just checked few Instagram accounts and....they are largely collections of Meh photos....:) I can shoot in square format.

As the famous 16th Century social critic Erasmus once said "In the land of the meh photograph, the half way good snapper is king".

If you are better than half way good then you will clearly stand out as better, which will surely help with promotion. Also IG accepts non-square shots now.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 14, 2018 00:09 |  #11

TooManyShots wrote in post #18585066 (external link)

There are a ton of top notch photographers on IG, you just have to know how to find them. I initially set up my account as a way to follow commercial/still life shooters who don't share their work anywhere else.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,529 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 14, 2018 11:34 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #12

You can post photos directly to IG from your desktop or laptop computer through the Google Chrome browser. That said, I enjoy IG at a personal level and generally share my photos there for friends and family as opposed to FB. It's just another tool to reach out to people with photos.

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 14, 2018 14:05 |  #13

Screw square format. I received a lecture early on from a fellow photographer that I wasn't framing and cropping my photos correctly for instagram. Ain't gonna happen. I shoot based on what I want to see, I'm not about to change to fit the medium. Your thoughts may vary of course. </soapbox>  :p

LRInstagram plugin is the way to go if your workflow includes Lightroom. It's the only way I would go through the effort, although I do agree with the comment above that all photographers should have an instagram account.

You are seeing meh photos because you're looking at meh photos. There's tremendous talent out there. Focus early on hashtags related to your interests and genre, this is how you find people to follow.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2018 14:33 |  #14

What I have done (not for Instagram, but in other scenarios) is to bring up the photo full screen on my 5K monitor, and then take a picture of my computer screen with my phone's camera. . Then you have the pic on your phone.

A problem can arise if you have reflections off the screen, but I keep my house very dark inside and keep all of my shades drawn all of the time, so that keeps this from ever being an issue.

I tried to figure out how to do it other ways but could never get anything to work for me because Instagram seemed to keep re-doing their programming to disallow the ways we could circumvent their 'rules'. . Plus I just generally suck at technology and wouldn't be able to figure it out anyway.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,650 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by 05Xrunner.

Mar 14, 2018 17:39 |  #15

you dont have to post in square format. I just started using IG not long ago and you can post in the normal 3:2 format or widescreen. Also nobody uploads photos they have taken and edited to their phone? I have hundreds of my photos uploaded in my phone and I use those to post on IG. I have never really take a photo with my phone other than just sharing something with a family member.
https://www.instagram.​com/jon_infocus/?hl=en (external link)

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

sponsored links

3,338 views & 17 likes for this thread
Instangram??? What?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.