Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 18 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 14:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any opinions on the Wescott 24" foldable beauty dish?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 18, 2018 14:47 |  #1

I'm considering getting 1-2 of these beauty dishes for on location work. I would be getting Bowens mount to use with my speedlight adapters and AD200s. Anyone own these or have experience with them? The only thing turning me off about them is the $300 price tag. That seems like a lot. I don't mind paying for quality, but that's twice the price of the rapid box. Anyone have an alternate that they use? (Foldable beauty dish only please, I already have two 31" softboxes).

Was also looking for a monopod type pole that can be used for an assistant to hold a strobe on. Bonus points if you include suggestions for that. Thanks.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
Gumby1220
297 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 18, 2018 16:04 |  #2

Also interested in this. But also interested to see how it compares to the Paul c Buff high output white beauty dish as I'd be using this on an alienbees

6D | T3/1100D | EF 85mm f1.8 USM | EF 50mm f1.8 mkII | EF-S 10-18mm IS STM | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | 600EX-RT | YN-E3-RT | PCB B800 |
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Osa713
Goldmember
1,132 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Osa713.

Jan 18, 2018 23:29 |  #3

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18543894 (external link)
I'm considering getting 1-2 of these beauty dishes for on location work. I would be getting Bowens mount to use with my speedlight adapters and AD200s. Anyone own these or have experience with them? The only thing turning me off about them is the $300 price tag. That seems like a lot. I don't mind paying for quality, but that's twice the price of the rapid box. Anyone have an alternate that they use? (Foldable beauty dish only please, I already have two 31" softboxes).

Was also looking for a monopod type pole that can be used for an assistant to hold a strobe on. Bonus points if you include suggestions for that. Thanks.

If you are talking about the "Joel Grimes" version I considered buying one for headshots/on location work but I ended up buying a standard beauty dish(Glow) and a 28in parapop both with a grids for the same price of the wescott version. I know its two modifiers but I use the beauty dish indoors for beauty work and the parapop on location and indoors.

If I did headshots twice a week I would be all over the wescott version, the build quality is stellar as I owned the speed light version. Im not sure what type shoots you have in mind but paired with the ad200 it will work. You might be better suited with the rapid box version to maximize your light output with the silver lining, plus its cheaper. The white lining of the Joel Grimes version is catered towards beauty work/headshots with the white lining.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Osa713
Goldmember
1,132 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 18, 2018 23:34 |  #4

Here is a link for a monopod that might work out.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …3GEAQYASABEgICc​_D_BwE&m=Y (external link)

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 19, 2018 00:18 |  #5

Osa713 wrote in post #18544196 (external link)
If you are talking about the "Joel Grimes" version I considered buying one for headshots/on location work but I ended up buying a standard beauty dish(Glow) and a 28in parapop both with a grids for the same price of the wescott version. I know its two modifiers but I use the beauty dish indoors for beauty work and the parapop on location and indoors.

If I did headshots twice a week I would be all over the wescott version, the build quality is stellar as I owned the speed light version. Im not sure what type shoots you have in mind but paired with the ad200 it will work. You might be better suited with the rapid box version to maximize your light output with the silver lining, plus its cheaper. The white lining of the Joel Grimes version is catered towards beauty work/headshots with the white lining.

Yep, that's the one. I was looking at that and also the 35" Westcott Zeppelin. Although the Zeppelin is much larger, and does not appear as if it can be easily collapsed like the beauty dish. But would be nicer for softer portraits. Not to mention it's $100 more. I'm looking for an "on location" modifier, so the zeppelin probably is not the best choice. That's why I was leaning toward the beauty dish.

How is the build quality of the Parapop softbox? I have two glow softboxes already, but they are complete crap quality.

Thank you for the link on the light pole.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

OceanRipple*
817 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by OceanRipple*. (3 edits in all)

Jan 19, 2018 13:43 |  #6

I'm pleased, so far with the BD mentioned here & clones elsewhere;
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=nffUpaWlD-k (external link)

.. mine, in the EU, was called '80cm White Folding Beauty Dish / Softbox' from Lencarta UK. The US version in inches (30in) is measured correctly across the flats, whereas the (rather optimistic) 80cm is measured point to point. There is a 24in version - white or silver in each size.

The construction mechanism is based on an Elinchrom design & IMO is fine (16 rods) when you get used to it. The metal 16 rods give it some strength and ductility. I swapped the insert (Bowens S in my case) for a shallower design (35mm) to achieve improved positioning of the 'bulb' within the modifier.

Otherwise identical to this, but this is "32in", nominally:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=F_MLZKEmSCU (external link)

Like nearly all BDs except Hensel, when using just the primary reflector, there is a circumferential projection of unmodified light, but this can be perfect for an appropriately placed 'Eyelighter' reflector or similar.

Worth your consideration, IMO. Cheers

F2Bthere
894 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 07, 2018 01:21 |  #7

There was a pretty good set of comparison images of the Westcott against a Mola beauty dish done within the last couple years where the photographer set them up the same way and took pictures of his wife in the same basic place. I found it revealing. The results were published in a few fora (dpreview, here, etc) and might be worth tracking down if you are very interested/critical about light quality. To my eye, there was a significant difference.

If you like the Mola Setti (28") look, the Elinchrom 70cm (27") deep Octa produces a similar look with the right configuration. The dimensions are somewhat similar. The Deep Octa also has the advantage of being more portable and capable of more configuration options.

This was taken with the 70cm Deep Octa handheld (it was at a Halloween event) with a single diffuser.

https://www.instagram.​com …en-by=storyinpictures_com (external link)

Almost all the images in my IG were taken with a deep Octa, some single and others are in a double diffused configuration. Some are with the 70cm and some with the 150cm.

Used with the diffusion disks would probably give the most beauty light look, but I haven't any examples that way. But, to my eye, the single diffusion setup aimed like a beauty dish gives results very much like the Mola Setti already.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Bilymac2320
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 14, 2018 03:31 |  #8

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18543894 (external link)

Will the Rapidbox work with the AD 200's?

Osa713
Goldmember
1,132 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 14, 2018 08:17 |  #9

Bilymac2320 wrote in post #18585175 (external link)
Will the Rapidbox work with the AD 200's?

You will need a Bowen’s S mount adapter to make it work.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,767 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 14, 2018 08:24 |  #10

I went with the 48" RapidBox Octa w/ a beauty dish for my AD200's (single and double Bowens mounts) and am very happy with the results.
Glad I went larger and it's so easy to break down.

https://www.adorama.co​m/werb48xls.html (external link)

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 14, 2018 15:59 |  #11

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. I actually did end up going with the Westcott 24" beauty dish. I did look into some of the other suggestions here, but I went with the Westcott one for a few main reasons:

1. Build Quality: I picked it over a normal Rapid Box mainly because of the build quality

2. Shape: I like that it's perfectly round for round catchlights

3. Size: This was a big factor. I will mainly be using it outside, and may not always have an assistant at my disposal. The 24" inch form factor will help cut through the wind more than a 28" size would. I have 31" softboxes and the wind picks them up like parachutes

So far I'm very happy with my purchase. Sure it was expensive, but what isn't these days in photography? Thanks again for the suggestions.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Ah-keong
546 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Mar 14, 2018 21:29 |  #12

may I ask what is the difference(s) between the Westcott 24" beauty dish and the 32" Rapid Box Duo or the 26" Rapid Box Octa?

I am thinking of getting either a 32" or a smaller (24" or 26") modifier....
:rolleyes:

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,337 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 14, 2018 22:56 |  #13

Ah-keong wrote in post #18585853 (external link)
may I ask what is the difference(s) between the Westcott 24" beauty dish and the 32" Rapid Box Duo or the 26" Rapid Box Octa?

I am thinking of getting either a 32" or a smaller (24" or 26") modifier....
:rolleyes:

As far as I know these are the differences:

1. Beauty Dish has 16 rods to make it perfectly round, while the rapid boxes have 8 rods making them true octa boxes.

2. Build quality if far superior on the beautydish compared to the rapid boxes.

3. The beauty dish comes with a strobe mount (you can get it in Bowens, profoto, Paul c. Buff, or elinchrom). Rapid box is made for speedlights so it comes with a speedlight hookup.

4. Cost is about twice as much for the beauty dish over the smaller rapid boxes, but I would say build quality is almost twice as good too.

5. You can setup the beauty dish faster. It literally sets up in 5 seconds (putting diffusers and grids on takes a bit longer). People may dispute this point but I think the beauty dish is much faster than the original rapid boxes

6. You can buy grids for the beautydish. Not sure if you can buy them for the rapid boxes.

These are all the differences I can think of.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Ah-keong
546 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Mar 15, 2018 21:49 |  #14

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18585898 (external link)

1. Beauty Dish has 16 rods to make it perfectly round, while the rapid boxes have 8 rods making them true octa boxes.

3. The beauty dish comes with a strobe mount (you can get it in Bowens, profoto, Paul c. Buff, or elinchrom). Rapid box is made for speedlights so it comes with a speedlight hookup.

4. Cost is about twice as much for the beauty dish over the smaller rapid boxes, but I would say build quality is almost twice as good too.

5. You can setup the beauty dish faster. It literally sets up in 5 seconds (putting diffusers and grids on takes a bit longer). People may dispute this point but I think the beauty dish is much faster than the original rapid boxes

6. You can buy grids for the beautydish. Not sure if you can buy them for the rapid boxes.

Thanks!
I shall consider whether to get the beauty dish or Rapid Box.

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Grumpy_one
579 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Grumpy_one.

Mar 16, 2018 11:16 |  #15

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18585898 (external link)

Were you able to do hands on before you purchased? If so where?
That's my biggest issue is not being able to do hands on around here, Portland OR.
Did you consider any of the Cheetah products before looking at the Westcott stuff?

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,903 views & 3 likes for this thread
Any opinions on the Wescott 24" foldable beauty dish?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.