Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 10:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I’m about sick to my stomach! Graphic photos ahead...

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,863 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 13, 2018 22:31 |  #46

While we are all telling the OP what he should do, why not provide a complete package?

Who should he vote for?
What religion if any should he follow?
What kind of car should he buy?
What should his diet be?

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/
5D4, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

sponsored links
Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
6,499 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 14, 2018 00:50 |  #47

Choderboy wrote in post #18585059 (external link)
While we are all telling the OP what he should do, why not provide a complete package?

Who should he vote for?
What religion if any should he follow?
What kind of car should he buy?
What should his diet be?

MODS! MODS!!

Choderboy brought religion into the forum!!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,863 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 14, 2018 02:20 |  #48

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18585119 (external link)
MODS! MODS!!

Choderboy brought religion into the forum!!

Don't forget politics!

Dave
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,863 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 14, 2018 02:36 |  #49

Damned if you do, damned if you don't on here anyway.
I was called a fool on these forums for fixing my 100-400 myself ('I SHOULD' have sent it to Canon...)

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5672/23112752353_c8cc627a27_o.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/765/23112752113_80e7ce7940_o.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5732/23151984493_f567b7f048_o.jpg

Dave
Image editing OK

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,404 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 14, 2018 04:35 |  #50

Choderboy wrote in post #18585160 (external link)
Damned if you do, damned if you don't on here anyway.
I was called a fool on these forums for fixing my 100-400 myself ('I SHOULD' have sent it to Canon...)

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice! now if you want real DIY, you can't go much past me putting a new shutter into a 1D2... :lol:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,863 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 14, 2018 05:59 |  #51

joeseph wrote in post #18585197 (external link)
Nice! now if you want real DIY, you can't go much past me putting a new shutter into a 1D2... :lol:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by joeseph in
./showthread.php?p=185​85197&i=i47641560
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Yeah, years ago I would have tried that, lost my nerve.

Dave
Image editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2018 17:14 |  #52

Choderboy wrote in post #18585056 (external link)
So what should the OP do in the case of the video Tom linked:
(one of the scews had material on the threads, ie whatever the screw screws into)
Should the OP just be happy with 3 screws instead of 4?
See how easy it is:https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=k5E3SqtdMeA (external link)

This response doesn't make sense to me, because the OP doesn't have a broken screw. . I just used that video because it was the only one I could find quickly that showed a Canon mount being removed.

I wanted to show the OP how utterly simple it is to take a mount off and put one back on. . If you ignore the broken screw (which isn't an issue for the OP) the video shows that anyone could do this in just a minute or two with nothing more than an eyeglass screwdriver ..... which is the point I was trying to make.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
780 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 14, 2018 18:14 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #53

The problem is nothing you have said so far is actually relevant to my situation. If my mount was the only thing on the lens that broke because I tried to mount it wrong or something then it would be one thing. The fact is the camera AND lens FELL. F. E. L. L. While mounted together and broke one mount while bending another making the camera inoperable with any other lens I own. My fear was that it would not focus correctly if I tried to fix it myself and that was NOT a chance I was willing to take. Removing and replacing a simple mount on a lens is absolutely a simple process. This was not all that needed to be done to mine unfortunately.

6D | 5D4 | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 14, 2018 18:44 as a reply to  @ shaunmcfd's post |  #54

My 1D4 and 17-40 got thrown across a tarmac road - wasn't dropped, didn't fall - it was launched! I was lucky and everything was fine. Just because your gear has had a bump does not necessarily mean that there is any critical damage.

I was merely suggesting that the lens mount is a very simple fix to do yourself. Then you can see is all is OK with the lens without paying a small fortune on the off chance. If there are still problems then the labour (and much of the parts) costs of a new mount have been avoided - downside?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by Tom Reichner. (4 edits in all)

Mar 14, 2018 18:44 |  #55

shaunmcfd wrote in post #18585715 (external link)
The problem is nothing you have said so far is actually relevant to my situation. If my mount was the only thing on the lens that broke because I tried to mount it wrong or something then it would be one thing. The fact is the camera AND lens FELL. F. E. L. L. While mounted together and broke one mount while bending another making the camera inoperable with any other lens I own. My fear was that it would not focus correctly if I tried to fix it myself and that was NOT a chance I was willing to take. Removing and replacing a simple mount on a lens is absolutely a simple process. This was not all that needed to be done to mine unfortunately.

But I believe that the lens mount is the only thing that is truly broken, to the point of needing to be replaced, and that the other parts that Canon wants to replace would actually continue to perform ok. . Just because something is not completely up to specifications does not mean that replacing it is essential.

It's like when you take your car into the shop and they say that there are these things that are broken that need to be replaced, and you say, "no thanks", and never do the repairs, ever, and yet the car continues to run for tens of thousands of miles with no problems, despite the "broken" parts that it has. . Like my check engine light being on for over 100,000 miles and I never bother to have it checked out. . Or that horrible grinding sound in my one Corolla that persisted for years and I never did anything about. . Or the time they said that I needed new spark plug wires. . Or the time they said I needed a new pair of ignition coils. . Or the time they said I desperately needed 2 new struts ..... so I drove on the old ones for another 150,000 miles!

Or another example would be the miniscus tear in my left knee that the doctor wants me to have surgery on, and the torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. . Yeah, these parts aren't just right, but I can still hike up a hill and carry a heavy camera around all day and paint the house and build stone walls and get dead people up onto a gurney even when they're over 200 pounds. . I will not have the repairs done, and yet I still function and do the things that I need to do.

Do I believe that my rotator cuff really is torn? . Of course I do - no doubt about it. . Do I think my miniscus has a tear? . Yes, absolutely. . But do they need to be fixed? . Heck no, because I can still do my jobs despite their condition.

In all of the aforementioned instances, just because an expert says that something needs to be replaced doesn't necessarily mean that it really does.

And so it is with your camera.

I bet if you just left those broken parts inside it would still take perfect pictures and it would still autofocus perfectly and would do everything just like it did before the drop.

Some people have some need for everything to be "just right", while others only care if it works or not. . I couldn't care less about "peace of mind", because to me that's just B.S. . All that matters is if the tool can still do the job or not. . If peace of mind is something that is important to you, then we will never see eye to eye on this camera repair issue.

As you said earlier, we'll just have to agree to disagree ..... if that's agreeable to you ;-)a

In an earlier post, you said that my posts genuinely confuse you. . I hope that the explanations and comparisons that I have written here help to alleviate some of that confusion. . I think that you and I have totally different value systems and priorities, and that is probably why we see this camera repair from two very different perspectives.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 14, 2018 18:46 |  #56

Choderboy wrote in post #18585056 (external link)
So what should the OP do in the case of the video Tom linked:
(one of the scews had material on the threads, ie whatever the screw screws into)
Should the OP just be happy with 3 screws instead of 4?
See how easy it is:https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=k5E3SqtdMeA (external link)

Please read the first line of my post. "I can't comment about the camera repairs as I simply have never done any!"

Perhaps you may wish to modify/delete your post?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,282 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Mar 14, 2018 22:15 |  #57

Pretty silly discussion from my perspective... If someone isn't comfortable replacing or fixing something, and wants to pay someone else to do it correctly, who cares? Each of us have different skills than others, some of us may be mechanical, some are artistic, etc. It is one thing to simply point out how to do a repair, it is another to constantly argue against one's discomfort of doing that work. It is what it is. Perhaps Canon can use the added revenue in better features the next model announcement. :)

I guess we could now start this over on FM with a member there?

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/15353​02 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2018 23:04 |  #58

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18585878 (external link)
I guess we could now start this over on FM with a member there?

http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/15353​02 (external link)

Hey, that person's username is JTaylor996.

I wonder if that could be THE Joy Taylor! . Wouldn't that be so cool if it was her?!

Anyway, sounds like their camera just needs a little quick fix with the mount switcharoo.

But the lens - they say the zoom ring is completely stuck. . That sounds like something that you need some kind of skills or experience to fix, and of course it is something that would need to be fixed if one wants to use it as a zoom lens and not just use it at whatever focal length it is stuck at now. . If I were them I would try to force it loose with pliers or a pipe wrench, with padding over the jaws, of course. . And of course you'd need it mounted securely in a vice in order to properly use the pliers/wrench. . But if that failed to dislodge the ring, or made it worse, then I'd either send it in to Canon or have a guy at a local camera repair shop give it a go.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,863 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 15, 2018 01:02 |  #59

johnf3f wrote in post #18585743 (external link)
Please read the first line of my post. "I can't comment about the camera repairs as I simply have never done any!"

Perhaps you may wish to modify/delete your post?

Then you said :
"I was merely suggesting that the lens mount is a very simple fix to do yourself."

So can you comment about repairs or not? I'm getting mixed messages.

Dave
Image editing OK

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,866 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 15, 2018 17:28 |  #60

Choderboy wrote in post #18585937 (external link)
Then you said :
"I was merely suggesting that the lens mount is a very simple fix to do yourself."

So can you comment about repairs or not? I'm getting mixed messages.

I said the lens mount is a very simple repair because I have replaced one, I have never yet replaced parts/repaired a camera.
Hope that is clearer.

It looks, however, like the mount on the camera body is even easier to replace - though I have yet to do one.

sponsored links

13,683 views & 49 likes for this thread
I’m about sick to my stomach! Graphic photos ahead...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.