Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 25 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 03:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a7R III

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,458 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by David Arbogast.

Mar 14, 2018 20:01 |  #241

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18585766 (external link)
No, according to this site, and the guy does his homework, also using DXO numbers, they are closer than 1 stop for all ISOs except 100 and a 1/3 stop after that. I like to look at the DR across a wider range than just a single ISO value. DXO just reports the largest gap they find and that could be just one ISO value amidst all the other available ones.

http://www.photonstoph​otos.net …%20Mark%20IV,So​ny%20ILCE- (external link)

Also with the discovery of how the dual pixel mode works with the 5D4 and the new tool that can take the 2 raw images out of the raw fiile in dual pixel mode, it actually gains that nearly 1 stop back.

I’ll reiterate my previous statement...DR is excellent in the 5D IV. I think you are correct to disregard it as a camera-choice factor.

It’s also absolutely fine for you to say you look at the average DR across all ISO values and that overall average is what you value most.

It’s not accurate, though, to claim that the two cameras have the “same basic DR at low ISOs”. We don’t get to just throw out the disparity at ISO 100 just because it doesn’t suit the narrative.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links
mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,107 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by mystik610.

Mar 14, 2018 20:04 |  #242

Really the DR measurements for these newer cameras are so close its immaterial.

What sets the a7rIII apart from the likes of the 5DIV are things like IBIS, eye-AF, no need for microfocus, etc etc etc. Depending on what you shoot, these are much more than nice to have features, and are rather significant.

I'm in the middle of Disney right now...its stupid busy and its a lot of run n gun shooting. Eye-AF and IBIS are going a very long way right now

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,458 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 14, 2018 20:17 |  #243

mystik610 wrote in post #18585795 (external link)
Really the DR measurements for these newer cameras are so close its immaterial.

What sets the a7rIII apart from the likes of the 5DIV are things like IBIS, eye-AF, no need for microfocus, etc etc etc. Depending on what you shoot, these are much more than nice to have features, and are rather significant.

I'm in the middle of Disney right now...its stupid busy and its a lot of run n gun shooting. Eye-AF and IBIS are going a very long way right now

We definitely don’t need a stupid DR argument...that is so 2012/2013. ;)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,116 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 14, 2018 20:46 |  #244

I checked DP review to double check what happens when the rubber hits the road

https://www.dpreview.c​om …32&y=-0.17195056421278895 (external link)

Both R2 and R3 look considerably better than the 5Div, if you pull that much. If you dont, then it's probably a wash.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,120 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 14, 2018 22:07 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #245

At ISO 200, they are dead even. So yes if you shoot ISO 100 and pull up shadows quite a bit, there is a difference. In every other situation, it is the other features that make a bigger difference, not shadow pulling. However shoot dual pixel with the 5d4 at 100, and you get that difference back. Therefore DR simply isn't a consideration between these two, it is eye AF, Ibis, and a handful of other features that could make the difference.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Dlee13
Goldmember
4,236 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 14, 2018 22:26 |  #246

As someone who is looking at getting either an A7R III or just the 7 III, DR is not even one of the reasons I want an 7X body.

AF across the whole frame, Eye AF and IBIS are the main things that appeal to me. Weight wise there isn't much of a saving so I don't really consider that a plus. Size definitely is though.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 14, 2018 22:28 |  #247

Be sure to update all lens firmware. Huge difference.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,088 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 15, 2018 18:14 |  #248

Talley wrote in post #18582997 (external link)
Sorry for being short before I was out and about on my phone.

I'm a HUGE ball of mess right now about it. Today is day 6 owning the R3... all I have is the 50 1.8 native. JUST traded my 200L so by the end of the week will have a 85G and 70-200 2.8 G. That will tell me a ton more about the performance of the system. I'm not exactly "going all out" with the canon stuff yet. Just being very selective. The 200L can be replaced if need be but if I decide to stick with Canon it'd the 24-70/70-200II combos so I'm not too worried about selling it.

I'm loving the AF features... face detect, eye detect. Love the IBIS. Weight and size are about the same... my pinky don't grip it so it's alot smaller. Menu setup is awesome. Some of the added features like highlight exposure priority is nice. Silent shutter is good.. .matches the wifes Fuji. So I'm happy about those things. 100Mbps 4K video is a huge plus for me... I can video alot more and not worry about file sizes. Having aps-c crop mode available for video is awesome and will help me alot. The fact I can video through the viewfinder will allow me to get some very high quality videos at my kids dance recital. I'm happy about that. Battery life seems ok. Got a few more coming. The flip out screen during video is awesome because I shoot it like my 60D hold it in my palm with my hand lower helps stabilize it a lot.

the 50 1.8 is actually a good performer for it's price. It's no Art nor L but it's a worthy component and will be a travel top pick for me. The 10fps is awesome. I love how much you can customize the camera buttons.

It's exciting but I know me... I haven't messed w/ the 5D4 in awhile.. the fuji system spoiled me and got my "i wants" going. I shot the Xe3 over thanksgiving and it left me much to be desired. Sony has a super fast response. Joystick is a dream. Takes awhile for the buffer to clear. Gotta get some flashes to try the flash system out.

Lots of things going in my head right now.

lol no worries

thanks for your thoughts and write up. i'm still new to face and eye detect, always used single select point. i need to play around with the eye focus for when the time comes i will know how to use it.

most of us got rid of our dslr due to lack of usage. i will admit I enjoy shooting with the dslr more but don't miss it. in reality the mirrorless suits my needs and is a keeper.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 17, 2018 18:32 |  #249

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18585235 (external link)
I guess I would like more insight into that comment. It beats the 5D4 on all counts? The two cameras are both FF, both have the same basic DR so at low ISOs, they can both be pushed almost equally. I can see IBIS, eye AF and 30% more resolution being nice additional features, but regarding color and DR and basic IQ, I guess I don't quite see how they can be all that different, on paper anyways?

There is nothing in those two photos that shows the Sony to be superior from what I can see, your 5D4 could nail exactly the same results.

I am just trying to separate the emotion and "newness" of a new tool from factual observations, and it is being difficult.

The a7r3 has better DR and sharper images due to higher res and no AA.

Other improvements.

EVF for shooting in dark studios as i turn all lights off in mine and just have a modelling light on and you cant see much on a OVF vs EVF.

lighter smaller camera that can fit in your pocket with the right lens.

IBIS.

more AF speed and coverage.

Eye AF.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jay25
188 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 17, 2018 21:04 as a reply to  @ post 18582997 |  #250

Man I'm awaiting your review. I'm on the fence for a a7iii or a7r iii. I love the a7iii the fact that it has 699 focusing points thats awesome but only 24mps. That's my only gripe.

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Justinsmnz. (4 edits in all)

Mar 20, 2018 21:08 |  #251

Well I think today solidified my opinion on the A7r III. I was really hoping that it could provide an all-around replacement for both my 5Ds and 1DxII (a tall order, I know!) To make a long story short, it looks like it might be my new golden ticket!

I've had the body for a week or so now, and have used it for a handful of random things. Initially, I used it to shoot around with some birds using my Canon 400mm DO adapted with Sigma MC-11. I wasn't happy with the results (I guess that's to be expected.) I ordered a 100-400 GM, knowing that a native mount lens would perform much better, and good lord does it! Both the focusing and image quality are nearly identical to my previous Canon 100-400II and the camera was easily 80% as fast and accurate following focus when compared to my 1DxII. I also absolutely love using the EVF for high frame-rate shooting. It's so much easier to see whether each shot is remaining in focus with the internal split-second preview when I compare it to what I'm used to with the optical finder.

After shooting today with the 100-400 GM, I'm pretty much sold on it as a replacement for the 1DxII (which was certainly too much camera for me anyways.) In addition to the body's performance itself, the cropability of the RAW files is absolutely killer compared to my 1Dx files. I'm heading down to Washington DC next week for a photo trip to flex the body as a cityscape/landscape/tr​avel replacement for my 5Ds. However, I'm expecting that to be a much easier challenge for it, so it's looking pretty good right now to take over as my primary body.

One thing that was holding me back from switching over to Sony was the terrible battery life of their older bodies. I was super happy to find that the new battery in this body is downright solid. It's not 1Dx territory, but it's easily as good as any 5D series battery I've used.

For the time being, I'm definitely planning to simply keep my Canon glass other than selling the 400mm DO to fund the 100-400 GM. I may replace lenses here and there with Sony or new E-Mount art lenses, but my 16-35IS and 50L have been my favorite lenses for many many years and seem to perform pretty well with the MC-11, so I don't see any reason to swap them out just yet.

We were under thick cloud cover all afternoon, so this outcome was even more impressive to me!

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4777/40888232692_356fc53175_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25i9​T4b  (external link) Red-Tailed Hawk; Middleton, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/803/40221544294_d292a37344_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/24he​VPC  (external link) Red-Tailed Hawk; Middleton, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4776/40888232552_2bbc1418db_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25i9​T1L  (external link) Short-Eared Owl; Middleton, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

Edit: I really can't emphasize enough how impressed I was today with the focus following in this thing. This was nearly the 20th shot in a series AFTER the owl flew behind the grass. It literally looks like it's Photoshopped in, because there's no reasonable explanation for how it's still in such clean focus through so much grass. Not only that, but almost every one of the shots that follows is also somehow in focus even when he nearly leaves the frame entirely (screenshot below). I'm baffled!
IMAGE: https://imgur.com/TWfrWQQh.jpg

IMAGE: https://imgur.com/ro7bRvJl.jpg

flickr (external link)

kekane
86 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2015

Mar 21, 2018 06:50 |  #252

Justinsmnz wrote in post #18590550 (external link)
Well I think today solidified my opinion on the A7r III. I was really hoping that it could provide an all-around replacement for both my 5Ds and 1DxII (a tall order, I know!) To make a long story short, it looks like it might be my new golden ticket!

I've had the body for a week or so now, and have used it for a handful of random things. Initially, I used it to shoot around with some birds using my Canon 400mm DO adapted with Sigma MC-11. I wasn't happy with the results (I guess that's to be expected.) I ordered a 100-400 GM, knowing that a native mount lens would perform much better, and good lord does it! Both the focusing and image quality are nearly identical to my previous Canon 100-400II and the camera was easily 80% as fast and accurate following focus when compared to my 1DxII. I also absolutely love using the EVF for high frame-rate shooting. It's so much easier to see whether each shot is remaining in focus with the internal split-second preview when I compare it to what I'm used to with the optical finder.

After shooting today with the 100-400 GM, I'm pretty much sold on it as a replacement for the 1DxII (which was certainly too much camera for me anyways.) In addition to the body's performance itself, the cropability of the RAW files is absolutely killer compared to my 1Dx files. I'm heading down to Washington DC next week for a photo trip to flex the body as a cityscape/landscape/tr​avel replacement for my 5Ds. However, I'm expecting that to be a much easier challenge for it, so it's looking pretty good right now to take over as my primary body.

One thing that was holding me back from switching over to Sony was the terrible battery life of their older bodies. I was super happy to find that the new battery in this body is downright solid. It's not 1Dx territory, but it's easily as good as any 5D series battery I've used.

For the time being, I'm definitely planning to simply keep my Canon glass other than selling the 400mm DO to fund the 100-400 GM. I may replace lenses here and there with Sony or new E-Mount art lenses, but my 16-35IS and 50L have been my favorite lenses for many many years and seem to perform pretty well with the MC-11, so I don't see any reason to swap them out just yet.

We were under thick cloud cover all afternoon, so this outcome was even more impressive to me!

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25i9​T4b  (external link) Red-Tailed Hawk; Middleton, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/24he​VPC  (external link) Red-Tailed Hawk; Middleton, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25i9​T1L  (external link) Short-Eared Owl; Middleton, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

Edit: I really can't emphasize enough how impressed I was today with the focus following in this thing. This was nearly the 20th shot in a series AFTER the owl flew behind the grass. It literally looks like it's Photoshopped in, because there's no reasonable explanation for how it's still in such clean focus through so much grass. Not only that, but almost every one of the shots that follows is also somehow in focus even when he nearly leaves the frame entirely (screenshot below). I'm baffled!
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FGD8​WT  (external link) Focused through the grass; Short-Eared Owl; Middleton, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

I, too, found a replacement for my 1DXII. But I replaced it with the A9. For my 2nd body, I'm still debating between the A7III and A7rIII. I've been following Sony forums for a while and seeing photos like yours and many others...and reading their positive experiences helped in making my decision to switch over from Canon. No regrets!

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 21, 2018 07:43 |  #253

kekane wrote in post #18590750 (external link)
I, too, found a replacement for my 1DXII. But I replaced it with the A9. For my 2nd body, I'm still debating between the A7III and A7rIII. I've been following Sony forums for a while and seeing photos like yours and many others...and reading their positive experiences helped in making my decision to switch over from Canon. No regrets!

Had I only wanted to replace the 1DxII, I wouldn't have hesitated to pick up the A9. However, because I was hoping to replace both the 1DxII and 5Ds with one body – the best of both worlds, essentially – I decided to try the A7rIII first and I'm feeling now like I made the right call for my uses.

flickr (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,087 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 21, 2018 08:06 |  #254

I feel the same really but in the 5D4 comparison.

For some reason I want that 100-400 even though I'm not a heavy over F4 type of guy. I still feel that lens would offer some good in my photography.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Justinsmnz.

Mar 22, 2018 13:46 |  #255

Took it out in some snow flurries this morning and it handled it like a champ. The only issue I ran into was getting a few snowflakes on the viewfinder sensor, which activated the EVF. Because the sensor is set so far back in the eye cup, it was impossible to clear off without removing the eye cup itself (which I wasn't able to do at all with gloves on) so the back screen would become useless for a few minutes at a time. That said, in-viewfinder image review is brand new to me, and I love it!

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/786/39148740400_50e5aabb5d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22Dr​wAL  (external link) Snowy; Middletown, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4783/26086016767_a6176a3b40_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/FK8D​XM  (external link) Last taste of winter; Middletwon, RI (external link) by Justin Simmons (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

51,934 views & 417 likes for this thread
Sony a7R III
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.