Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 10 Mar 2018 (Saturday) 14:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma Mount Conversion (Canon to Sony)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 17, 2018 20:19 |  #16

Talley wrote in post #18588147 (external link)
I don’t think they are different.

Think or know. Two totally different concepts.

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 17, 2018 20:21 |  #17

Hogloff wrote in post #18588137 (external link)
Yes...it will be 100% native functional...but will it be as good ( AF wise ) as the newly released native mount Sigma lenses. Like I said, I heard there is more to these lenses than just the mount...they have improved on the focus motors. I don't believe you'll get these improved focus motors if you convert from a Canon mount Sigma lens.

I'd verify this before spending the cash on the conversion.

There is more than just the mount but all components involved in making the lens 100% compatible are replaced.

From Sigma conversion FAQ:

With this service, can I exchange my lens for a new lens?
No, we will only replace the mount and related components on your lens, which will allow you to use the lens on your new camera.

Are there limitations on the function of the lens after the mount conversion?
No, the lens will function the same as any lens released by Sigma with the corresponding mount.

Is there any risk of performance degradation after the mount conversion?
No, your lens will be put through the same stringent quality-control testing as all of Sigma’s new lenses to ensure the highest level of performance.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 17, 2018 21:05 |  #18

nqjudo wrote in post #18588171 (external link)
There is more than just the mount but all components involved in making the lens 100% compatible are replaced.

From Sigma conversion FAQ:

With this service, can I exchange my lens for a new lens?
No, we will only replace the mount and related components on your lens, which will allow you to use the lens on your new camera.

Are there limitations on the function of the lens after the mount conversion?
No, the lens will function the same as any lens released by Sigma with the corresponding mount.

Is there any risk of performance degradation after the mount conversion?
No, your lens will be put through the same stringent quality-control testing as all of Sigma’s new lenses to ensure the highest level of performance.

I just checked the Sigma site. Says e-mount conversion service details to follow. Above applies to mounts that Sigma had to "reverse engineer" the AF interfaces...they will be using native Sony AF interfaces...so maybe things will be different. No one knows yet...Sigma ain't saying for sure how the converted lenses will differ from a native made lens, if at all. I've heard there will be changes to the innards of the lens as well as the details of the mount. Will these changes to the innards of the lens be made when converting the mount...who knows.

Best to wait until we know for sure...that's all I'm saying. If it was a simple mount change...why have the Sigma zooms not been announced as well for the Sony cameras?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,515 views & 4 likes for this thread
Sigma Mount Conversion (Canon to Sony)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.