Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 18 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"

Tc202
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Gallery: 436 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 17, 2018 14:48 |  #571

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18587975 (external link)

That is great! . I guess that means that you get to photograph "real" moose, instead of these little Shiras Moose that we have down here in the lower 48.

What is it that you guide for? . Do you get to spend much time photographing when you're up there, or does guiding take almost all of your time?

What other critters do you get opportunities with up there during the autumn?

I guide specifically for the Moose during the rut. The location I guide in allows me to get 10 feet from a bull without them caring, but when I guide clients I shoot less because I need to focus on their behavior. If you watch their behavior you will never get charged (I have never been charged). I camp for the whole duration of the rut where I guide, which allows me to know where they all hang out. During non- guiding days I am taking photos :). As for other animals there are snowshoe hares, coyotes, fox. Another big animal there are Grizzly and Black Bears. They are extremely predatory towards humans seeing us as a food source and killing a couple people per year. Not even the Black Bears are nice :(

Alotech Camera Bags (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,986 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 17, 2018 15:13 |  #572

Tc202 wrote in post #18587991 (external link)
I guide specifically for the Moose during the rut. The location I guide in allows me to get 10 feet from a bull without them caring, but when I guide clients I shoot less because I need to focus on their behavior.

When I first read your post about being a guide, I assumed that you guide hunters, not photographers. . Is this assumption correct?

I will be going to Alaska (for the first time in my life) this June, to photograph birds.

The moose and the other critters you mention make me wonder if going back in the autumn would be worthwhile as a photographic pursuit. . What are your thoughts on this?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 17, 2018 17:17 |  #573

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18587953 (external link)

So you're a moose guy, but located in Florida ..... that's gotta be tough.

ITs called a moose guy with money Tom.. I just want to follow him around .

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

KT29
Goldmember
3,115 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 17, 2018 18:18 |  #574

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18587975 (external link)

That is great! . I guess that means that you get to photograph "real" moose, instead of these little Shiras Moose that we have down here in the lower 48.

What is it that you guide for? . Do you get to spend much time photographing when you're up there, or does guiding take almost all of your time?

What other critters do you get opportunities with up there during the autumn?

Hey Tom, our little Shiras deserve some love too.ߘ

Terry

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,245 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 18, 2018 02:48 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #575

Tom, about time you got to Alaska. We were just talking about making our 6th trip there for a week in July......

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,986 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 18, 2018 11:21 |  #576

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18588323 (external link)
Tom, about time you got to Alaska.

I know - you're right.

Several of my friends go to Alaska on a regular basis. Specifically, they go to Denali and spend a week or three there each September. . They keep telling me how much I would love it and how it is so perfect for the kind of photography I like to do and how I really need to go with them the next time that they go. . But money, of course, is the main problem ....... September is still fire season, and I would miss out on the major source of my yearly income if I took time off during fire season.

I'm sure that a September Denali trip will happen for me sometime before I die, but for the foreseeable future it probably isn't going to work out. . Hence, Barrow in June for birds will need to suffice for the present.

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18588323 (external link)
We were just talking about making our 6th trip there for a week in July......

That's great! . Can't wait to hear about it! . You'll have to share the best pics with us after the trip.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 18, 2018 11:48 |  #577

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18588522 (external link)
I know - you're right.

Several of my friends go to Alaska on a regular basis. Specifically, they go to Denali and spend a week or three there each September. . They keep telling me how much I would love it and how it is so perfect for the kind of photography I like to do and how I really need to go with them the next time that they go. . But money, of course, is the main problem ....... September is still fire season, and I would miss out on the major source of my yearly income if I took time off during fire season.

I'm sure that a September Denali trip will happen for me sometime before I die, but for the foreseeable future it probably isn't going to work out. . Hence, Barrow in June for birds will need to suffice for the present.

I've been to Denali a couple times, once in August and once in June. What's better in September? The colors?

My pics:
www.pbase.com/rikwrite​r (external link)

i-G12
Wat?
1,835 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 18, 2018 13:32 |  #578

Want to see some awesome bald eagles? Kodak! ;-)a

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
8,179 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 18, 2018 14:54 |  #579

i-G12 wrote in post #18588631 (external link)
Want to see some awesome bald eagles? Kodak! ;-)a

Kodak?? Or Kodiak? ;-)a

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 18, 2018 15:55 |  #580

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18588662 (external link)
Kodak?? Or Kodiak? ;-)a

Maybe he went to Kodiak with a Kodak?

My pics:

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,986 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 18, 2018 16:16 |  #581

RikWriter wrote in post #18588540 (external link)
I've been to Denali a couple times, once in August and once in June. What's better in September? The colors?

Antlers! . And of course rut / pre-rut behavior.

If the primary reason for going to Denali is to photograph trophy-caliber Moose, Caribou, and Dall Rams, then autumn is the time to go.

These big game species rut in the autumn, and the antlered species finally come into "hard antler" in September after the velvet has shed. . The big game images that my friends and peers get in Denali in the autumn are ones that couldn't possibly be taken at any other time of year. . These are the images that everybody (publishers, stock agencies, etc) wants, and the ones that are the most commercially viable.

I've found that most serious wildlife photography is extremely time-of-year specific.

My upcoming trip to Barrow will be in the third week of June, and that timing is crucial - go one week earlier and there won't be as many Eiders and shorebirds because they will not have all arrived on the breeding grounds yet. . Arrive one week later and many of the male Eiders will have already bred, flown out to sea, and molted. . This is why all of the photo tours for Barrow's eiders are scheduled for mid-June.

boomer1959
Goldmember
1,751 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 18, 2018 17:37 |  #582

This is a grizzly chasing a mother black bear that was trying to save her cub.
The cub didn’t make it. The grizzly killed and ate it. I couldn’t get a good shot of that as there was to many trees in the way and I wasn’t about to get any closer.
I spent about 3 1/2 hours photographing this seen.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nature and photography. Moments frozen a fraction of a second at a time.
Canon 1Ds MkIII and lots of other stuff.
Dave Klautt

RikWriter
Goldmember
3,939 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 18, 2018 18:24 |  #583

boomer1959 wrote in post #18588786 (external link)
This is a grizzly chasing a mother black bear that was trying to save her cub.
The cub didn’t make it. The grizzly killed and ate it. I couldn’t get a good shot of that as there was to many trees in the way and I wasn’t about to get any closer.
I spent about 3 1/2 hours photographing this seen.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by boomer1959 in
./showthread.php?p=185​88786&i=i187982438
forum: Wildlife

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by boomer1959 in
./showthread.php?p=185​88786&i=i199793449
forum: Wildlife

Wow, that's intense.

My pics:

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 18, 2018 18:52 |  #584

I think the grizzly and brown's are the two biggest threats to us photographers in terms of danger. The liberty's we take with the blacks would be out the window.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,454 posts
Gallery: 1868 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 18, 2018 19:43 |  #585

Pondrader wrote in post #18588821 (external link)
I think the grizzly and brown's are the two biggest threats to us photographers in terms of danger. The liberty's we take with the blacks would be out the window.

I hear ya Pondrader but I'd still bet exposure is ultimately a bigger danger for those that actually get away from the car.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

247,197 views & 2,159 likes for this thread
What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.