Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 20 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 13:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Amazon, BH Photo and Adorama Shipping Comparison

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,147 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited over 1 year ago by SYS. (2 edits in all)

Mar 20, 2018 13:35 |  #1

I've ordered tons of photography and video related stuff from primarily these three places over the years. With so many incidents of porch theft happening nowadays, it's of tremendous peace of mind that I now have the option to redirect my packages to a convenient and secure local store where I can pick up the package.

Of the three, my first go-to place for spending my money is Amazon because it offers the most flexible ship redirecting experience. For one, I can even designate a local place other than my home address as a place to pick up my packages before placing the order. Even after the package has been shipped to my address, I can simply log into my UPS account and redirect the shipping to a local UPS store that's only a half mile away. The same if shipped via FedEx. If USPS, the package gets delivered to my community mailbox with a key.

With BH Photo, redirecting my packages isn't as good as Amazon, but I can redirect the UPS shipping to the central UPS location which is about 10 miles away. Not very convenient, but at least it's better than $2-3K package sitting in front of my front door for hours. I've discussed this issue with them, and basically their response is "this is the way things are done here, so just accept that fact and move on."

With Adorama, from whom I just placed an order for a Canon L lens, I just learned from online chatting with a staff that they can only redirect the packages by my contacting them EACH time I place an order because of their "contract" with the UPS (and I assume with other delivery companies, likewise).

Neither BH Photo nor Adorama seems willing to "listen" to what concerns many consumers, i.e., more secure way to receive very expensive photography or video products in today's high incidents of porch theft. Apparently, neither is interested in studying and emulating the extremely successful and profitable business model that placed Amazon as the most successful online merchant with Bezos as the richest billionaire in the world.

I will continue to shop at BH Photo and Adorama but only when the pricing or certain promotionals are significantly better than at Amazon -- which isn't all that often. Hope BH Photo and Adorama are more willing to listen and better gauge the needs of consumers out there.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,365 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Mar 20, 2018 13:40 |  #2

The other side of the coin is what if your credit card is stolen, the thief calls B&H and order himself a Sony A9 on your credit card, and --pretending to be you -- instructs them to ship to the UPS store near him?! It is for your protection, against fraudulent use of your card.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,147 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 20, 2018 13:56 |  #3

Wilt wrote in post #18590248 (external link)
The other side of the coin is what if your credit card is stolen, the thief calls B&H and order himself a Sony A9 on your credit card, and --pretending to be you -- instructs them to ship to the UPS store near him?! It is for your protection, against fraudulent use of your card.

Sure, that can and does happen, and Amazon is aware of that -- apparently with hardly any negative business repercussions. If that's what really worries BH Photo and Adorama, then I'll just continue to shop almost exclusively from Amazon.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,066 posts
Gallery: 1519 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 20, 2018 14:02 |  #4

Amazon is a total different level of business though, to be fair, to the point where Adorama/BH have listings on Amazon...

Amazon really does have an amazing processing & shipping infrastructure. It's truly massive and the speed is pretty much unrivaled. When I order something from Amazon, it will ship that day, often very close to when I place the order, as long as I'm shopping prime items. I rarely shop from a third party vendor through Amazon anyways, to avoid return policy differences and stuff.

When I order elsewhere (including Adorama & BH, I shop at both often too), my order doesn't ship right away. Sometimes it takes a day or even longer, before my order is even processed, let alone shipped. And the shipping process simply takes a lot longer. I certainly don't shop there for the speed of the processing & shipping. I do however shop there because I get the service & warranty stuff through them on the products I specifically shop there for, and that's why I continue to shop there.

You can make a secure drop box for your mail/packages by the way. They're common these days for the problems you've described. Won't stop someone from breaking in, but it's a lot harder to take the time to do that than to simply walk up, lift your box off your door step, and walk on.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,147 posts
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited over 1 year ago by SYS.

Mar 20, 2018 14:17 |  #5

I ordered a Promediagear "L" bracket for my 5DIII on March 3 from BH, a mistake. It suddenly went "backordered" on me after I pressed the order, and it's now 17 days later and it still hasn't shipped. I should have gone directly to Promediagear as they seem to have plenty in stock. Funny, isn't Promediagear the place where BH backorder from or do they go around the globe looking for a Promediagear product somewhere? The last time I ordered an item from BH, it had to be backordered, too, but at least it didn't take this long to ship out. No more doing business with them unless there's something really significant happens. The only thing that's going for me with regard to Adorama is their 4% reward system in place, which is good to take an advantage of once in awhile still.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Mar 20, 2018 15:31 |  #6

Whenever possible, I buy from a real brick and mortar camera store. They appreciate the business, I know if it’s in stock before I buy, and I take it with me, no shipping involved.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

HelenOster
That's me!
4,484 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 20, 2018 15:46 |  #7

MalVeauX wrote in post #18590271 (external link)
Amazon is a total different level of business though, to be fair, to the point where Adorama/BH have listings on Amazon...

When I order elsewhere (including Adorama & BH, I shop at both often too), my order doesn't ship right away. Sometimes it takes a day or even longer, before my order is even processed, let alone shipped. And the shipping process simply takes a lot longer. I certainly don't shop there for the speed of the processing & shipping. I do however shop there because I get the service & warranty stuff through them on the products I specifically shop there for, and that's why I continue to shop there.

If you order a new, in stock item from Adorama before 6:00 pm ET - and there are no ID verification issues - your order should ship the same day.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

MalVeauX
13,066 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 20, 2018 16:06 |  #8

HelenOster wrote in post #18590343 (external link)
your order should ship the same day.

Sure, it should. But it didn't. Several times. With in-stock items. I bought $1000 worth of lenses on my last order just a few months ago from Adorama. I don't regret it at all, because that's where the sale on my items were and I like Adorama's customer service. But, the processing is not as fast as other retailers (if you order on Friday, I find, from shopping at Adorama for years, it's very possible to have your order processed on the following Monday unless you're lucky). Then from there, waiting about 3 days for shipping on average when I order. So in my experience, I can order on a Friday, wait two more days, then it ships, then wait 3 more days for it to arrive.

Now, again, I'm not saying this is bad. It's just not as prompt as others.

And I'm still quite satisfied with my shopping at Adorama. Again, for me, it's about the service & warranty handling on items.

Very best,

Wilt
41,365 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 20, 2018 16:26 |  #9

MalVeauX wrote in post #18590356 (external link)
But, the processing is not as fast as other retailers (if you order on Friday, I find, from shopping at Adorama for years, it's very possible to have your order processed on the following Monday unless you're lucky). Then from there, waiting about 3 days for shipping on average when I order. So in my experience, I can order on a Friday, wait two more days, then it ships, then wait 3 more days for it to arrive.,

have you consider that the Jewish observance of their Sabbath begins about sunset Friday?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Furlan
729 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 20, 2018 16:26 |  #10

I do believe Items in the 2 to 3 K range will not be left on your doorstep signature will be required.

MalVeauX
13,066 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 20, 2018 16:50 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18590368 (external link)
have you consider that the Jewish observance of their Sabbath begins about sunset Friday?

That sort of stuff is the last thing I think of, nor care about, when shopping for camera gear.

And that doesn't stop other retailers.

Why even bring this into it?

Besides, isn't it BH that has Jewish holiday stuff that effects commerce? Not Adorama?

Very best,

Wilt
41,365 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 20, 2018 17:03 |  #12

MalVeauX wrote in post #18590378 (external link)
That sort of stuff is the last thing I think of, nor care about, when shopping for camera gear.

Besides, isn't it BH that has Jewish holiday stuff that effects commerce? Not Adorama?

Very best,

Helen Oster posted on another forum:

"Adorama's owner is an observant orthodox Jewish gentleman, whose beliefs prohibit him - his family and his business - from operating on the Sabbath and on many of the religious holidays (which all begin an hour prior to sunset the evening before the day of the holiday, which is why we close early on Fridays).

We can't employ non-Jews here during those days, because to do so would involve the company conducting business - which is forbidden in Jewish Law."

So if you order too late on Friday, the order is not processed until their employess come back to work. THAT is why i posted the question if you had considered their work week.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,826 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 20, 2018 17:06 |  #13

MalVeauX wrote in post #18590378 (external link)

Very best,

They both do as do other business as well. Try shopping Hobby Lobby on a Sunday.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MalVeauX
13,066 posts
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.

Mar 20, 2018 17:16 |  #14

Fair enough. Thanks.

:rolleyes:

Regardless, it clearly changes processing and shipping, more so than others, and slows it down. Amazon obviously doesn't do this.

Very best,

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,147 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 20, 2018 17:19 |  #15

Furlan wrote in post #18590369 (external link)
I do believe Items in the 2 to 3 K range will not be left on your doorstep signature will be required.

Not if they come in separate packages amounting to...

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

3,885 views & 34 likes for this thread
Amazon, BH Photo and Adorama Shipping Comparison
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.