Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 19 Mar 2018 (Monday) 23:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Article about Godox strobes

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,087 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 19, 2018 23:48 |  #1

Found these about someone famous using cheap Godox strobes.

https://www.fujirumors​.com …tations-fujifilm-gfx-50s/ (external link)
https://www.fujirumors​.com …ect-litemotiv-octa-190cm/ (external link)

Not sure if linking is ok or not. I can remove them.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
Eric ­ Gill
30 posts
Joined Nov 2016

Mar 20, 2018 18:46 |  #2

I like the pair of AD600s hanging from his belt.

bobbyz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,087 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 20, 2018 20:45 |  #3

Eric Gill wrote in post #18590449 (external link)
I like the pair of AD600s hanging from his belt.

Yup. Surprising was when he says new Elinchrom not good and Godox Pro is better and this is someone who shooting with those Broncolor paras so money is not an issue. I liked that.

fotopaul
495 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Mar 21, 2018 03:11 |  #4

bobbyz wrote in post #18590526 (external link)
Yup. Surprising was when he says new Elinchrom not good and Godox Pro is better and this is someone who shooting with those Broncolor paras so money is not an issue. I liked that.

But, the ELB 500 is very pretty to look at and cute to handle, so it may appeal to a similar audience that buys Leica cameras: affluent amateurs, with brand name appetite, such as dentists and lawyers, who may enjoy this new flash.

Anyone can spew out stupid remarks, he obviously is no different.

If you could actually present any material as the basis for his opinion then it might be worth a listen, but for ignorant statements as the above its pretty much useless.

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
400 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Mar 21, 2018 05:51 |  #5

fotopaul wrote in post #18590686 (external link)
Anyone can spew out stupid remarks, he obviously is no different.

If you could actually present any material as the basis for his opinion then it might be worth a listen, but for ignorant statements as the above its pretty much useless.

I wish that Elinchrom’s new Phottix joint-venture, portable battery flash was as successful as the select modifiers discussed above.

I tested a pre-production version of the ELB 500 TTL today, and it failed to impress, when compared it to the state of the art Flashpoint XPLOR 600 Pro.

It not only lacks the power and speed of the Flashpoint, but comes in at double the Pro’s price.

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,534 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 8 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 21, 2018 07:39 |  #6

Given the experience shown in both photographic results and history of equipment needs of that author, I wouldn't simply disregard the statements just because I thought them frivolous. Also others demeaning the article probably have their own preconceived notions for or against the products mentioned and we all have to take their comments with a grain of salt as well, correct? ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sporadic
559 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2008

Mar 21, 2018 08:59 |  #7

I just want some leather pants and two 600ws strobe bodies tied to my waste.

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
7D | 300/4 L IS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,534 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 21, 2018 10:42 |  #8

sporadic wrote in post #18590820 (external link)
I just want some leather pants and two 600ws strobe bodies tied to my waste.

If those things were found in my waste, I would have other problems to deal with. :D

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

jlafferty
226 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Mar 21, 2018 11:08 |  #9

C'mon, don't be absurd Paul. The "material basis" for his opinion is equal parts a successful and widely embraced career with a handful of iconic images in his wake; and the substance of the articles.

I, too, laugh at his leather pants and eccentric fashion sense; I, too, can make withering remarks about the dated nature of his work, his TV show, etc. But it's undeniable that he's accomplished a lot and much more than - to date - any of us here have (as far as I know).

The images he shares are good, and the premises behind much of his work and approach are sound, even if the results are not to your/my tastes. Plenty of solid info shared throughout, as well, re: low profile adapters, custom frosted glass dome for the AD600, fresnel/spots, and strip boxes.

It's a good time to be lighting things :D And especially good if you're using Godox battery powered strobes.

fotopaul wrote in post #18590686 (external link)

Current Portfolio (external link)

bobbyz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,087 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 21, 2018 14:27 |  #10

^^ Agree. And if person can ask Mola to make a custom adapter for him and uses those Paras, money is not an issue.

jlafferty
226 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Mar 21, 2018 14:57 |  #11

Well... we can safely say cost isn't the *deciding factor* in the gear they choose. So when you see the average, working generalist photographer say they pick Godox, that's one thing. It's another thing entirely to see someone say "I can afford any light system but I choose the AD600/AD600Pro for features and workflow."

I'm only clarifying this because I think it's a typical internet fallacy to associate gross revenue with expertise, taste, sophistication, nuance, etc. Some very successful photographers create bad or boring work, but that's not Markus. As I said, his tastes and mine are very different, but you can't argue the underlying techniques, the premises behind his approach, and for sure his career output. Obviously he drops the occasional biting remark here and there to help drive traffic to these articles, but taken as a whole they're more than just that.

bobbyz wrote in post #18591044 (external link)
^^ Agree. And if person can ask Mola to make a custom adapter for him and uses those Paras, money is not an issue.

fotopaul
495 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited 8 months ago by fotopaul. (2 edits in all)

Mar 21, 2018 15:26 |  #12

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18590773 (external link)
Given the experience shown in both photographic results and history of equipment needs of that author, I wouldn't simply disregard the statements just because I thought them frivolous. Also others demeaning the article probably have their own preconceived notions for or against the products mentioned and we all have to take their comments with a grain of salt as well, correct? ;)

I would, and I will.

I know one the most famous glamour photographers in Sweden and well-known worldwide as well in his field, partying with Hugh Hefner etc. His work has been published countless times nationally and globally.

Now he is clueless when it comes to gear, he works/ed with very expensive gear and very expensive modifiers, still, he doesn't really know much. He knows basic lighting sure, but his talent is in connecting with his subject and bringing out the emotion.

Most of the time he had assistants setting up the light and cameras.

These days he loves to represent brands with his name (fading fame) but he really has no clue about the differences in techniques/gear let alone the target groups.

So just because you work/ed with expensive gear and been published worldwide doesn't really mean anything in terms of your knowledge and ability to review and assess gear.

As for the Litemotiv "review" yea..im not gonna applaud that, doesn't matter how published you are.

H1200 head on camera with two ad600 dangling at the waist... mmm okay.. so good luck with that..

Now if he could come up with something more substantial than slightly different power output in one modifier then I might be prone to actually take him seriously. For instance, why not compare them in HSS ? Or talk about the different form factor, two asymmetrical outputs vs one output etc.

As for you little wink.. I have actually tested Godox AD600e for my own amusement, very few of the Godox internet fans can say the same for Elinchrom and Profoto gear. In time I will make sure to try the AD600Pro with C700 and see how efficient it really is in HSS.

Now it seems some of you, (Jim really no surprise there) are fine with his ignorant remarks, I'm not and I'm not overly impressed by his "reviews" regardless of his conclusions.

Blog (external link)

jlafferty
226 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 8 months ago by jlafferty. (4 edits in all)

Mar 21, 2018 19:06 |  #13

Spare yourself the time, the HSS test has already been done: https://youtu.be/zk5px​xAckBg?t=3m42s (external link)

Thanks for the shoutout ;)

fotopaul wrote in post #18591089 (external link)
...In time I will make sure to try the AD600Pro with C700 and see how efficient it really is in HSS.

Now it seems some of you, (Jim really no surprise there) are fine with his ignorant remarks, I'm not and I'm not overly impressed by his "reviews" regardless of his conclusions.

bobbyz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
19,087 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by bobbyz.

Mar 21, 2018 21:45 |  #14

I shoot Elinchroms at work (not photography work related, my work place has a photo studio for fun). Don't find them any special. I only have BRXi500 though. My Godox are better in every regard.

fotopaul
495 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Mar 22, 2018 00:05 |  #15

jlafferty wrote in post #18591216 (external link)
Spare yourself the time, the HSS test has already been done: https://youtu.be/zk5px​xAckBg?t=3m42s (external link)

Thanks for the shoutout ;)

Yeah, not sure if I would call that a test, where is the chart with different shutters speeds and C700 measurements at different power levels in HSS?

And no comparison to the ELB 500 TTL either.. so i think ill do one my self.

Anytime!

Blog (external link)

sponsored links

8,746 views & 52 likes for this thread
Article about Godox strobes
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.