Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Mar 2018 (Thursday) 06:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Local city wants one of my images for their yearly calendar

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,482 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 22, 2018 06:26 |  #1

A local city wants to use an image in there yearly calendar.

Have no idea how I respond regarding pricing or freebie's goes.

I just am a hobbyist

Any thoughts ?
Thx

My Gear flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Jethr0
968 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Jethr0.

Mar 22, 2018 06:37 |  #2

The calendar is likely free? If they are giving image credit with your name and applicable URL I’d say give it to them. As long as they’re not offering the images for sale.

Edit: as a hobbyist that’s what I’d do.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 22, 2018 06:48 |  #3

If they're not selling it, I'd give it to them for on-calendar credit. If they are selling (unlikely) it, that complicates the matter.

Tom

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,329 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 22, 2018 07:05 |  #4

I've had a few of my pictures published on calendars just for the on picture credit. It's fun to give copies to friends.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

HammerCope
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 4 months ago by HammerCope. (2 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2018 08:15 |  #5

If they are selling it or giving it away charge them. Photo credit does not pay the bills. I have asked and asked but the bank will not apply photo credit to my bills. ;-)a

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 22, 2018 08:37 |  #6

HammerCope wrote in post #18591529 (external link)
If they are selling it or giving it away charge them. Photo credit does not pay the bills. I have asked and asked but the back will not apply photo credit to my bills. ;-)a

What makes you think that the OP is interested in paying bills with photography-generated income?

Bianchi wrote in post #18591485 (external link)
I just am a hobbyist

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,535 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 22, 2018 08:43 |  #7

I’ve given many of my images to the city for their yearly calendars that they give away. My exposure with them led to some commissioned work they used for promoting the city in travel brochures and magazines.

Sometimes if you play your cards right, everyone comes out a winner. Sometimes when you put your pride ahead of business sense...you end up sitting on the sidelines watching others get jobs that “put bread on your table”.

My feelings on this is the more exposure you get within the place you live, the more opportunities will result. Go ahead give them the image and show them more if they are interested...the city uses images every year and you have a great opportunity to show what you can provide.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,825 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 22, 2018 08:59 |  #8

Bianchi wrote in post #18591485 (external link)
A local city wants to use an image in there yearly calendar.

Have no idea how I respond regarding pricing or freebie's goes.

I just am a hobbyist

Any thoughts ?
Thx

Choose a picture of yourself. Something modest and tasteful.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

driving35mm
220 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 22, 2018 13:12 |  #9

I would think about blowing up the image and using it in marketing myself. If it's close to your residence, you could gain many clients.
You could also choose to remain a hobbiest and thank them for choosing your image to use.

If you could see your life through my eyes. http://www.instagram.c​om/sicfotos (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 4 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 22, 2018 14:42 |  #10

Our city does a calendar for the recycling schedule made up mostly of local scenic shots, but sometimes wildlife as well. No is paid for it, and no one pays for it either.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bianchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,482 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 22, 2018 21:51 |  #11

I am going to have to continue correspondence with the city marketing dept that contacted me, and see exactly what there intent of the image is, exclusive one time use for calendar, or other city promoting advertisements as well. I think that will determine which direction to approach the opportunity.

I have no intent to become a Pro shooter, but if the opportunity to gain a little revenue to pay for some of the equipment and software that would be a plus.

I think Holgoff's point of view makes a lot of sense. Sometimes you give a little to gain a lot.

Want to thank everyone one for there input.

My Gear flickr (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,222 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 23, 2018 00:37 |  #12

Your work has value. That's why you've been contacted. Compensation can come in different forms. It's all about determing how much value each type has and if it's an appropriate amount. How much value does free exposure associated with this client represent to you?

sponsored links

853 views & 6 likes for this thread
Local city wants one of my images for their yearly calendar
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.