Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 23 Mar 2018 (Friday) 09:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which one to buy

J ­ R ­ Mohan
275 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by J R Mohan.

Mar 23, 2018 09:41 |  #1

flip lock vs twist lock. Which one is trouble free and should be bought. I intend using it with 5 D Mark 3 body with 300mm f/2.8 lens.

Thanks
Jai.

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,522 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 23, 2018 09:50 |  #2

I don't think that there is going to be a definitive answer. There are really good flip locks and really bad ones. The same with twist locks, some good ones as well as bad ones. Your probably best off picking a few and compare.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,905 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 23, 2018 09:55 |  #3

Come down to personal preference. Personally I like the twist because you can twist multiple sections at one time. Simply said; they’re faster.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

SailingAway
339 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 23, 2018 11:17 |  #4

Waaaiiiit a minute... I thought flips were faster?

I could say the same thing as FarmerTed, but just substitute “flips”.

It is true that good flip locks will need adjustment in a few years. Some people talk about collapsing legs with flips - in three years of Manfrotto 055 flip tripods used *hard* by students, I’ve only had to adjust a couple legs in our fleet of 8 tripods. The tool is included with Manfrotto tripods, if you can keep track of it. That’s apparently hard for some.

I have both. Both work fine. Quality is more important. The cheapest asian flip-locks shouldn’t be considered, even for occasional use IMO.

From the upper left corner of the U.S.
Photos, Video & Pano r us.
College and workshop instructor in video and audio.
70D, Sigma 8mm, Tokina f2.8 11-16, Canon EF-S f2.8 17-55, Sigma f2.8 50-150 EX OS, Tamron 150-600VC. Gigapan Epic Pro, Nodal Ninja 5 & R10.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,905 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 23, 2018 13:24 |  #5

Flips require you to flip each lever on each joint on each leg. I can rotate all three twists per leg with one motion to deploy the legs quickly.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

gjl711
54,522 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 23, 2018 13:36 |  #6

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18592393 (external link)
Flips require you to flip each lever on each joint on each leg. I can rotate all three twists per leg with one motion to deploy the legs quickly.

I think that is going to depend on the tripod itself. I have two, one flip and one twist. The twist one, as soon as the first segment gets loose, the rest will just spin not loosening but on the other with flip, I can flip all tabs at once. But seriously, we are talking seconds at most.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,858 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 23, 2018 13:42 |  #7

J R Mohan wrote in post #18592262 (external link)
flip lock vs twist lock. Which one is trouble free and should be bought. I intend using it with 5 D Mark 3 body with 300mm f/2.8 lens.

Thanks
Jai.

It depends upon the brand and model!

I evaluated Gitzo decades ago, and hated their implementation of twist lock legs, and I happily used Manfrotto flip lock legs for decades.
Then I evaluated Gitzo G-lock with ALR legs, and very happily use them today, yet I still use Manfrotto flip lock for my really big tripod for large format monorail in studio.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,333 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 23, 2018 14:10 |  #8

I prefer twist locks. The next post will say flip locks. The only way to decide is to go to a camera store or try out a few from friends yourself. There is no correct answer. The only thing is no matter what you buy, buy the best you are able to afford.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

gjl711
54,522 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 23, 2018 14:44 |  #9

bpalermini wrote in post #18592425 (external link)
I prefer twist locks. The next post will say flip locks. The only way to decide is to go to a camera store or try out a few from friends yourself. There is no correct answer. The only thing is no matter what you buy, buy the best you are able to afford.

And then you have those, like me, with no preference at all. I'm more concerned with stability and other factors.

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,952 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 23, 2018 19:15 |  #10

I prefer Twist Locks for two reasons. Firstly they are much more secure (from personal experience). Secondly I prefer to put expensive gear on top quality support and the best tripods have twist locks. So it is a choice of a lesser tripod with Flip Locks or a better (but not necessarily more expensive) tripod with twist locks.

I have had tripods with Flip Locks in the past (Manfrotto 190 & 055) and they simply don't cut it - but then neither did the tripods!

Just my experiences.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

jlt23
427 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 04, 2018 21:48 |  #11

I prefer twist locks as they seem more secure and seem less likely to have the leg collapse on you if you don’t accidentally secure them.

James

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,989 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 25, 2018 15:11 |  #12

I like twist locks because they are less likely for one to reach out and grab something:oops: I have had that happen with flip locks carrying the tripod through brushy terrain...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,763 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2011

May 25, 2018 16:02 |  #13

Tripod advice is the most difficult to take. Don’t cheap out. I wasn’t able to follow that advice, and it cost me a lot of wasted money and frustration.

I now use RRS gear and couldn’t be happier. Gitzo would be another sound choice along with a few others. If you are going to be using your tripod and/or monopod frequently, you won’t regret spending the money. You’ll be so happy because you won’t even think about the gear, you’ll just take the photographs. Or, like me, you’ll smile because you’ll remember how much of a hassle it was trying to set up the tripod you purchased when you couldn’t bring yourself to spend the money for better gear.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sawsedge
767 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 26, 2018 16:28 |  #14

I've had both. A Bogen 3221 with flip locks many years ago, and now a Gitzo 3530 (g-lock) with twist locks. Both work... But, I prefer the twist locks. I needed to keep a tool handy because the flip locks would loosen periodically, and the levers caught on brush.

- John

Aronis
116 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jul 18, 2018 18:55 |  #15

I'm slowly getting back into the photo hobby. I have never had a decent tripod. The first one I got was a hand-me-down from a friend when we were in grade school! It's basic but did the job for years. But I never wanted to even LOOK at the more expensive ones because of the price! So after trying to shoot some night photography this week I said the hell with it and bought an nice one. I read here extensively and looked at this very debate. I have used the flip locks for years and they work for me. I have yet used the thing but set it up today. Love B&H. Order today, get it tomorrow!

It's a Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 Carbon with XPRO ball. Fortunately reading here helped me pick the correct head. The thing holds my camera rock steady! Now if I can just remember how to use the camera LOL.

I have no problem setting it up with the flip locks. The tool to tighten the flips comes snapped onto the tripod.

The last piece I am going to buy is the 70-200 2.8 L. I was just about to order one a few weeks ago and saw the mark III. there is ALWAYS a better lens. :).

Mike

1Dx, 10D 28-70 L 2.8, 50 1.4, 28 2.8

sponsored links

1,541 views & 7 likes for this thread
Which one to buy
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.