Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 24 Jan 2018 (Wednesday) 14:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

paris ,rome tripod ?

tbar
263 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined May 2008

Jan 24, 2018 14:28 |  #1

heading to paris ,rome , florence , venice
end of feb.
i have a RRS tripod that i use all the time that does pack up nice in my suitcase
but I'm wondering if i should go with a small tripod.
I've been looking the feisol TT-15 mk2
or should i go with my taller RRS tripod
thanks

sponsored links
CEITam
34 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Jan 29, 2018 01:15 |  #2

I've been to all of those cities. I would say a good travel tripod that would support your gear is a better choice than a bigger tripod. I used a Gitzo Series 1 Traveler when I went and worked well for me.

A few reasons for my suggestion.

1) The standard tourist place are crowded (though Feb should be low season) and a tripod is hard to deploy in that environment. Many indoor places prohibit tripod. Smaller the easier.

2) You don't want to carry around a big tripod traveling in an urban environment. Think about getting onto subways, buses, boat "buses" in Venice. Or eating in a small restaurant. Would be easier if the tripod folded down short and compact.

3) Conditions in big cities are not that extreme. Sure, maybe there's some wind, but you're not truly facing the elements. I think a high quality travel tripod would be enough.

Of course, I'm assuming the trip is for pleasure. If you're a pro on a work trip, then maybe you want the bigger tripod.

cappo
464 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 18, 2018 10:35 |  #3

I went on a 3wk trip to Europe last month and took a small tripod like this https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …minum_tripod_ki​t_red.html (external link)

It folds up small enough to fit in camera bag and supported my setup 5DmkIV and heavy ultra wide.

Feedback

Vintage ­ Racer
60 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jan 2018
Post edited 5 months ago by Vintage Racer.

Feb 23, 2018 11:40 |  #4

Take a monopod as well, as many venues in Rome, Venice and Florence will not allow the use of tripods in confined spaces!

Enjoy the trip, all of your your locations are fantastic.

If at first you don't succeed...............​you are not a budgerigar!
Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500, Nikon 70-200, Nikon 18-55 and Tokina 11-20

backn4th
146 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by backn4th.

Feb 23, 2018 13:53 |  #5

Am going to same and other Italian cities mid year.
Have ordered a Sirui T-025X, small enough for suitcase.

Striving for Mediocrity

jay56567
41 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Mar 20, 2018 08:18 |  #6

I am traveling to Paris in two weeks, I am still struggling if I should bring a tripod with me.

the head behind the lens drives

nordlysBW
353 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by nordlysBW.

Mar 24, 2018 12:22 |  #7

jay56567 wrote in post #18590005 (external link)
I am traveling to Paris in two weeks, I am still struggling if I should bring a tripod with me.

Sorry to write that. Right now I would get less worried about bringing a tripod than moving around with public transport in Paris in April, May, June due to massive strikes (trains + underground railway).

This strike calendar may help you plan details of the Paris visit better:
http://www.linternaute​.com …d-avril-mai-et-juin-2018/ (external link)

Specific info on the Metro can also found in English on this page of the RATP website:
https://www.ratp.fr …and-its-surrounding-areas (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
2,987 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jul 23, 2018 13:46 |  #8

Bought a MeFOTO Globetrotter CF fo a trip to Paris four years ago. Holds a Gripped 5D Mark III with a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II with no problem. Will be heading to Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen in a few weeks and I am sure it will be with me.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

sponsored links

1,675 views & 1 like for this thread
paris ,rome tripod ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.