Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Mar 2018 (Thursday) 10:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fee for teaching a class?

KLR-VA0501
149 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 15, 2018 10:31 |  #1

I haven’t been able to find anything about this so here goes. I’ve been asked to give some classes at a local library about photography. There will be 3 different sessions from beginner to advanced and will deal with general guidelines and techniques. Each class would be 1.5-2 hours long.

I’ve been asked what my fee would be for something like this and really don’t have any idea how to respond. I was originally going to do it for free or for an amount to cover my mileage and minor expenses. I don’t mind charging but don’t want to ask for anything outrageous.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ken
6D | EF 16-35 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 15, 2018 10:56 |  #2

KLR-VA0501 wrote in post #18586164 (external link)
I haven’t been able to find anything about this so here goes. I’ve been asked to give some classes at a local library about photography. There will be 3 different sessions from beginner to advanced and will deal with general guidelines and techniques. Each class would be 1.5-2 hours long.
I’ve been asked what my fee would be for something like this and really don’t have any idea how to respond. I was originally going to do it for free or for an amount to cover my mileage and minor expenses. I don’t mind charging but don’t want to ask for anything outrageous.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

I taught an after school photography program at my local high school. . They paid $16 an hour. . The class was an hour and a half long, and they paid me for 1/2 hour prep time for each class. . So each time I taught the 1 1/2 hour class I got $32.

This is about on par with what the full time teachers get paid, if you broke their annual salary down into hourly increments.

These numbers may be on the low side, because I live in a very impoverished area. . If you live in a more affluent area the 'going rate' may be higher.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,222 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 15, 2018 11:36 |  #3

$500.00 USD

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
782 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 15, 2018 12:52 |  #4

Is the library charging their patrons who take the course? If so, you have a captive audience who is willing to pay for photography instruction. As part of the course you could mention that you are available for 1-on1 instruction. Just something to consider.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,325 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt.

Mar 15, 2018 13:07 |  #5

What would Parks and Recreation Departments in your area charge for a class with similar number of sessions? One might say that the Public Library is another arm of local government and that programs should be of similar cost thru any civic organization.

Someone proposed $16 per hour...where are they that poorly paid, $30000 a year? The mean is about $45k in the poorest paying state in the US (WVirginia); Washington state range is $56-60!

OK teachers may 'only work 9 months', but no one bothers to realize that they are compelled to take courses throughout a year to maintain their credentials, so they are NOT 'only working 9 months'. And most fail to consider that most teachers have homework to grade in the evening. And teachers have a credential that they understand the principles of educating people, unlike the typical enthusiast photographer.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 15, 2018 18:20 |  #6

What are the attendees paying to take the class and how many are they allowing to attend? Do you make a living shooting? Will you bring anything besides your own camera kit or will you bring lighting? We need details in order to suggestions.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

J ­ Michael
948 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 17, 2018 09:32 |  #7

All other constraints aside it is a matter of supply and demand. In your market what would people expect to pay to take a class?

archfotos
108 posts
Joined May 2016

Mar 25, 2018 08:06 |  #8

There is a lot of unforeseen preparation that goes into giving a talk or teaching a class. Even a simple presentation can take hours of research collecting material and putting it together in a flowing presentation. Growing up in a home of a teacher I can assure you teaching is a 16 hour day with an incredible amount of behind the scenes prep and post work and summers are not all that free. There is no doubt they don't get paid their worth.

A class with multiple dates means you could end up being your students google-bot to answer their questions the following week. I've given a couple of talks for free and was offered $1,500 to teach a class however that was a longer course and not on the shoestring budget that a public library is living on.

Once you set your price with the library you will have a hard time increasing it. And if you offer to do it for free you probably won't be able to charge the next go around. Whatever amount of time you think this is going to require multiply that by three.

How do you plan on collecting materials for your presentation? Will you only use your work or will you take other's and not license the educational usage?

DC Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

870 views & 3 likes for this thread
Fee for teaching a class?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.