Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Mar 2018 (Sunday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

the bigger picture?

activeshooter
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 25, 2018 14:26 |  #1

Hi, i'm an amateur photo guy with some really great travel destinations this summer. It would be near impossible to not come out with some amazing shots. So in my mind i've already justified the need for a decent wide angle lens. Been looking into it, but it's sometimes hard to tell if reviews are genuine or trying to sell. Honestly my knowledge about the subject gets foggy from here. The most i could tell you is they're expensive. Looking at nikkor 14-24 2.8 or cannon 16-35iii 2.8. I don't really need top of the line, just something nice. Maybe other options i'm not aware of. Anyone with knowledge of the subject please feel free to weigh in...
I mostly shoot landscape, nature, night landscape, and have been playing with timelapse a lot lately. Canon 7d mark2. Thanks.

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,662 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 25, 2018 14:39 |  #2

Welcome.

I take it by your last line that you have a Canon 7D II. Why then would you be looking at Nikon glass?

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/147975282@N06 (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by JeffreyG.

Mar 25, 2018 14:42 |  #3

I don't think I'd spend huge money on a top end lens that was designed to be an ultra-wide angle zoom for a 35mm sensor, and then use it as a modest wide-angle zoom on a 7D size sensor. That's paying a lot of money for UWA corner performance that you are not even going to see.

If you really want an UWA zoom lens, there are several designed for your sensor size that all start around 10-12mm on the wide end. That's a lot more flexible and useful than getting a 14-24 or 16-35. There are the Canon 10-22, Canon 10-18 (quite affordable), Sigma 10-20, Tamron 11-16 (fast f/2.8 for stars).

Similarly, if you just want a standard wide-angle zoom lens, again, some of the purpose designed 1.6X format lenses can deliver very good performance in a lighter, smaller, cheaper package over those 35mm format UWA zooms. There's the Canon 17-55 which is fast enough for astro work and known to be very sharp. Sigma and Tamron both offer 17-50s, and then there is Sigma with their intriguing 18-35 f/1.8. That fast 1.8 aperture in a zoom lens could be nice for astro work.

All of the lenses I mention are below $1000, some below $500.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,262 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by John from PA.

Mar 25, 2018 14:47 |  #4

Your profile doesn't indicate your location. It might matter; no sense recommending a Canon refurb for instance if you live in the UK or even Canada.

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,238 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 25, 2018 14:50 |  #5

activeshooter wrote in post #18593820 (external link)
.......Looking at nikkor 14-24 2.8 or cannon 16-35iii 2.8. I don't really need top of the line, just something nice. Maybe other options i'm not aware of. Anyone with knowledge of the subject please feel free to weigh in...
I mostly shoot landscape, nature, night landscape, and have been playing with timelapse a lot lately. Canon 7d mark2. Thanks.

Those 2 lenses you mentioned are designed for Full Frame cameras and won’t be very wide on your 7D Mk II.

You need something that starts wider like the Canon EF-S 10-18 STM or 10-22 USM.

If you need a f/2.8 lens you could get the Tokina 11-16 or 11-20.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

activeshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 25, 2018 15:08 |  #6

Thank you. Sometimes i forgot how little i know about all this stuff and i'm glad to talk to people who do know...
I've got a good direction to go in from here, well worth the time to register on here & ask. Thanks a lot.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 25, 2018 16:54 |  #7

I've come to do a lot of 'wide', and I shoot mostly an aps-c Canon 80D (similar to your 7D2, uses same lenses).

In no particular order:
Canon efs 10-18mm. Good glass. Cheap. Too slow (aperture) to be useful at night, or indoors without a flash.
Canon efs 10-22mm. Better than 10-18, optically, slightly. 2/3 stop faster, and more useful zoom range.
Sigma 12-24 II. Excellent lens, but slow (aperture). Works on full frame, too. Not quite wide enough on aps-c cameras.
Sigma 8-16. IMHO, the best UWA zoom you can get. Optically excellent, but again slow. I use it primarily at f/5.6-f/11, so I don't care.
Tokina 11-20. Excellent lens, and it is f/2.8 fixed. Excellent optics, and f/2.8 sold me.

My current wide lens is two lenses:
Sigma 8-16 which is primarily for landscape types work for me. The main selling point to me is "widest non-fishey lens" available.
Tokina 11-20 which is my main 'indoor' family gathering type lens. Primary selling points are f/2.8 and good, useful zoom range.

Some folks have commented that I have a lot of overlap in these two lenses. I don't see it. The Tokina can't do 8mm (and even that isn't always wide enough). The Sigma can't do f/2.8. To me, they are two different lenses for two entirely different purposes.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,262 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by John from PA.

Mar 26, 2018 09:08 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18593919 (external link)
Tokina 11-20. Excellent lens, and it is f/2.8 fixed. Excellent optics, and f/2.8 sold me.

Tokina 11-20 which is my main 'indoor' family gathering type lens. Primary selling points are f/2.8 and good, useful zoom range.

The lens mentioned is normally $499 but as refurbished it is available for $350 direct from Tokina at https://tokinausa.com …shed-11-20mm-f2-8-pro-dx/ (external link). Unfortunately it is currently shown as out of stock but should you have an interest, check back at that link every few days. The 12-28MM F/4 PRO DX is in stock and refurbished it is $240. It is obviously slower and I'm not sure how it stands up to the 11-20. See https://tokinausa.com …bished-12-28mm-f4-pro-dx/ (external link).

And again, I ask where you live as refurbished is generally only available to those that live in the US.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,574 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by MakisM1.

Mar 26, 2018 10:44 |  #9

Bassat mentioned the Sigma 8-16. I own it too. If you keep the axis of the lens hotizontal, all the verticals are preserved (because it is a rectilinear lens). The results are spectacular! Below is an example of 8 mm Uncorrected for rotation, but cropped)

Williams Tower in Houston:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Another favorite of mine, the church of Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, shot from across the street:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 26, 2018 12:39 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18593919 (external link)
Some folks have commented that I have a lot of overlap in these two lenses. I don't see it. The Tokina can't do 8mm (and even that isn't always wide enough). The Sigma can't do f/2.8. To me, they are two different lenses for two entirely different purposes.

That is a ridiculous complaint.

Overlap is very good to have - the more the better.

Why? . Because it means that one doesn't have to change lenses so often while afield shooting. . Less time changing lenses means fewer missed shots.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

activeshooter
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Mar 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by activeshooter.

Jun 01, 2018 14:50 |  #11

Perfect! I love it. B&H is moving that tokina 11-20 towards me. And the price was right on, I hate getting anything too expensive because I'll probably break it. Thanks

sponsored links

2,150 views & 8 likes for this thread
the bigger picture?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.