Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 18 Jan 2015 (Sunday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"

KT29
Goldmember
3,107 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 24, 2018 20:22 |  #616

keeperseeker wrote in post #18593334 (external link)
Got me a Big Horn Sheep 2 day,,,need to spend more time getting varied shots.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by keeperseeker in
./showthread.php?p=185​93334&i=i10645477
forum: Wildlife

Very nice photo. The habitat really adds to the visual. Well captured.:-)

Terry

sponsored links
boomer1959
Goldmember
1,751 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 25, 2018 19:13 |  #617

Hers a couple more that I spent a few cards on and time.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Nature and photography. Moments frozen a fraction of a second at a time.
Canon 1Ds MkIII and lots of other stuff.
Dave Klautt

drewhh
292 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by drewhh.

Mar 27, 2018 15:07 as a reply to  @ post 18589354 |  #618

Sorry to hear about your cousin. Such a tragedy. The incident is mentioned in Stephen Herrero's book Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance. Descriptions of the scenario describe them as doing things right. THey suspended their food approximatley 165 feet from camp but a bear broke the branch from which they had hung it. Would human predation by food conditioned black bear really be considered "unpredictable"? What are your thoughts?

If the forum has moved on from this discussion, sorry. Just got back to town and was trying to go back and get caught up.

switched to olympus

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,941 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 27, 2018 16:26 |  #619

We don't hear many stories of black bears tearing into a tent and devouring a human being,. so yes I'd call that behavior unpredicatable.

The story is also documented in the book "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson.

O.T. ish,. a really freaking WEIRD coincidence, my father who like me is a bit of a Bryson fan after books like "A Short History of Nearly Everything" was reading "A Walk in the Woods" some years ago, unaware of the inclusion of Daniels story.

At the time he read that chapter, he was in the guest room of my Aunt and Uncle's house in Quebec,. the room had formerly been Daniels... No b.s. He nearly pissed himself.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,218 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 07, 2018 00:41 |  #620

I had a few close encounters with several gators while in the Everglades last week but most of the time I was at a safe distance. I would be out of the car photographing birds and then realize I had company right beside me..... Scared the life out of me but none of the gators seemed aggressive. However, I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Sounds
135 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Apr 07, 2018 05:55 |  #621

This thread has fascinated me for a while,what kind am I. I like to shoot low get into a subjects head explore it's world.

I feel utterly uncompetent to tackle anything like a Bear ,reading Jake's story is hard/harrowing(my condolences Jake) .

Guys being brought up here in the UK,a tiny island that has had all it's apex predators exterminated by man,I'd feel ill equipped to photograph such beasts. I'm an animal nut I've a fair degree of experience with domestic livestock some large like pigs and and cows mainly birds. So I feel I have some ability to read situations/animals to some level,but I'd feel wholey inadaqute if placed in a situation with for example a bear.

Guys I feel you that if one lives with these animals grows up with them,then one is are learning about them, in a way that one is almost born with a slightly different mindset to someone like me that has no experience to draw upon. As I say i've spent a fair amount of my life working with animals,in some ways I guess that gives me an edge over many of my countrymen,I've spent the whole of my life bumbling about in our fields and woodlands,whiich also gives me an edge. But I don't feel that would really prepare me for a bear or many other big pedators at all,I'd want some serious research/supervision because,I feel I'd endanger myself.

I've seen the post by PCousins,it interests me because I live in striking distance of those boar and make attempts to catch up with them. It's both wonderful and shocking seeing a potentially dangerous wild pig ,running about in our woods,shocking see just how inept the public are how, unaware they are of any potential danger. When photographing them i've tried to show respect keep to a reasonable distance use my knowledge of domestic pigs to keep things good. But having seen a charge and the speed of an old mum pig what is safe is tricky to assimialte. The boar are feral escapees from domesticated stock they seem to be splitting into populations that are very wild and pops that are just like a domestic pigs with little to no fear,folks feed them,it's causing all manner of problems.Folks also walk up to them with dogs,also no idea of what that dog means to a boar. . I have seen a human mother take her small children right up to boar and feed then human sweets,photographers feeding withing yards of a road,folks simply have no idea . Our boar are interesting though because they actually should be here.They are a native unlike so many feal pig pupulstions Our ecosystem is adapted to them,but with no apex predators,things are becoming tense to say the least as their population explodes.

So Jeff I guess I might fall into the screaming like a girl camp with a bear, because I feel I know enough to be aware of how little I really do know. But frankly I know i'm going to get low in front of a boar and try for an image,while at the same time trying to do right by her and give her space,where the line of endangerment is drawn is hard to really say.

I see a huge difference growing up here and our wildlife photography to that of countries' that have apex predators.

So me,I tackle the really dangerous, I shoot fluffy bunnies with big ears, mind you have to watch them they go for the throat if ya give 'em a chance:lol::lol:

stu

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 07, 2018 08:52 as a reply to  @ Sounds's post |  #622

Stu if it weren't for my parents moving to this country in 1952 I think it was, I could be standing beside you shooting in what ever water hole you may be checkout. I wish I had a chance to know the UK but NO...I was born here in the land of plenty. And I'm quite glad of it now as a photographer.

I have grown into my reservations of the ethics of some shooters. I'm 4 or 5 hours from a major city like Toronto and Ottawa. I've kinda come full circle dealing with the silly mentality of crowds getting foolishly close to wildlife I use to spend my time ticked off with the fools and their zoo like approach.

Thats what started this thread. But it has morphed into something else with great story's and tales. This morning started like most of my days here with big game wishing for me to come out and see whats going on. As I was reading your post I turned and did a little phone video of the kitchen door and my front deck.

Its true I do get closer than most when I'm shooting alone, but I refuse to run in a pack of wild humans with cameras. It does cost me some good opportunities but it is what it is.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
33,218 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 07, 2018 18:42 |  #623

But all that snow, Jeff....... no thanks. Give me whales & dolphins in the tropical waters of Hawaii, please. :-)

5DMK4
7DMK2

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 07, 2018 19:27 |  #624

Maureen Souza wrote in post #18602109 (external link)
But all that snow, Jeff....... no thanks. Give me whales & dolphins in the tropical waters of Hawaii, please. :-)

Maureen I think your really missing out. Some of the worlds greatest creatures live and love the cold.. including Me

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
33,218 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 07, 2018 21:35 as a reply to  @ Pondrader's post |  #625

My 5 days in Yellowstone in February are enough to last me awhile. And I agree with you which is why I pile on the merino wool undergarments, gortex shirts & goose down coat. I am already reserved again for next year

5DMK4
7DMK2

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,903 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 07, 2018 23:16 |  #626

Pondrader wrote in post #18602114 (external link)
Maureen I think your really missing out. Some of the worlds greatest creatures live and love the cold.. including Me

That's a great point, Jeff. . And I think that the cold brings much-needed beauty to our habitats, in the form of snow, ice, and frost. . So many scenes in nature can be really beautiful, but for sheer beauty, nothing rivals snow, ice, and frost. . Nothing.

I always get kinda sad around this time of year, because almost all of the snow and ice at low elevations is now gone. So I will have to wait another whole year before I can once again capture the images that I like most - wildlife and birds in snowy, icy, frost-clad surroundings.

I feel like it can never get cold enough to satisfy me; when it's 20 degrees, I wish it was 10 degrees ..... when it is 0 degrees, I wish it was 10 or 20 below zero (Fahrenheit, of course). . The colder it is, the more frost there will be on the vegetation, and I think that photos look best when there is frost or snow on every blade of grass, every twig, etc.

All I really care about in life is how my photos will look, so things like comfort and whatnot, I pretty much just couldn't care less about them. . Everything is all about the photos, all the time, and super-cold weather makes for nicer looking pictures, in my opinion. . So bring on the cold and damn the spring thaw and damn those comfortable balmy days!

HOSTED PHOTO

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,859 posts
Gallery: 1848 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 08, 2018 01:30 |  #627

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18602203 (external link)
That's a great point, Jeff. . And I think that the cold brings much-needed beauty to our habitats, in the form of snow, ice, and frost. . So many scenes in nature can be really beautiful, but for sheer beauty, nothing rivals snow, ice, and frost. . Nothing.

I always get kinda sad around this time of year, because almost all of the snow and ice at low elevations is now gone. So I will have to wait another whole year before I can once again capture the images that I like most - wildlife and birds in snowy, icy, frost-clad surroundings.

I feel like it can never get cold enough to satisfy me; when it's 20 degrees, I wish it was 10 degrees ..... when it is 0 degrees, I wish it was 10 or 20 below zero (Fahrenheit, of course). . The colder it is, the more frost there will be on the vegetation, and I think that photos look best when there is frost or snow on every blade of grass, every twig, etc.

All I really care about in life is how my photos will look, so things like comfort and whatnot, I pretty much just couldn't care less about them. . Everything is all about the photos, all the time, and super-cold weather makes for nicer looking pictures, in my opinion. . So bring on the cold and damn the spring thaw and damn those comfortable balmy days!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tom Reichner in
./showthread.php?p=186​02203&i=i82498232

I'm not sad yet, here in the low elevation of 4000 feet it was snowing so hard last night that the high-beams reflecting back were blinding.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.

Apr 08, 2018 05:32 |  #628

I agree with you Tom, The super cold can produce some very sharp as well as pristine images. .....If you dress correctly throwing fashion to the wind..... lol

We had the system go through here as well MedicineMan. It was snowing so hard you could not see but a few feet in front of you.

I believe this should be my new logo if only I knew how to do it.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,966 posts
Gallery: 87 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 08, 2018 06:24 |  #629

Pondrader wrote in post #18602291 (external link)
I agree with you Tom, The super cold can produce some very sharp as well as pristine images. .....If you dress correctly throwing fashion to the wind..... lol

We had the system go through here as well MedicineMan. It was snowing so hard you could not see but a few feet in front of you.

I believe this should be my new logo if only I knew how to do it.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=186​02291&i=i34176891

Kool!! Is this a picture of YOU Jeff?? Were you aware the fox was that close to you???

Who took this photo, if that is you in the picture?!?!

Charles
Canon EOS 90D * Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Pondrader
THREAD ­ STARTER
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader. (2 edits in all)

Apr 08, 2018 06:46 |  #630

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18602301 (external link)
Kool!! Is this a picture of YOU Jeff?? Were you aware the fox was that close to you???

Who took this photo, if that is you in the picture?!?!

lol Yes it is me Charles. I did this shot on purpose to make it look like I was shooting way over there when the fox was right in front of me. My shooting partner took the Image.
I remember she came up to me so I motioned to my buddy to take the shot.

Your question and reactions are just what I was looking for from this shot lol. Kind of like the sly fox getting close without my knowing

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

233,448 views & 2,054 likes for this thread
What kind of Wildlife Photographer Are "YOU"
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.