Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,120 posts
Gallery: 619 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 27, 2018 14:10 |  #14371

navydoc wrote in post #18595104 (external link)
A couple of items were delivered today for splash photography. My trigger and valve should be here Thursday.

I got two 'super clamps' with studs for attaching a flash so I can use them on a light stand or tabletop stand and I also got a 'smart arm' with clamp which I attached to a tabletop tripod to hold the valve and cylinder.

looking forward to this Gene. The super clamps look pretty handy

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,488 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 27, 2018 14:44 |  #14372

kekane wrote in post #18595105 (external link)
Which trigger and valve did you go with?

I decided on the Pluto trigger and valve. I chose it as it seems to do more than just splash photography and at a decent price compared to the others out there. We shall see how well it works soon.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,488 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 27, 2018 14:47 |  #14373

xpfloyd wrote in post #18595106 (external link)
looking forward to this Gene. The super clamps look pretty handy

Thanks. I hope everything falls together with the way I envision things but I know how that has worked out for me in the past so...:rolleyes:

Here's one more shot of the young bald eagle. I had moved forward some to get closer but alas, the shots I did get were backlit.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/790/39247786880_c95a61d19a_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22Nc​aEG  (external link) Regal eagle (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Gallery: 488 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 27, 2018 15:13 |  #14374

navydoc wrote in post #18595129 (external link)
Thanks. I hope everything falls together with the way I envision things but I know how that has worked out for me in the past so...:rolleyes:

Here's one more shot of the young bald eagle. I had moved forward some to get closer but alas, the shots I did get were backlit.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/22Nc​aEG  (external link) Regal eagle (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

by the looks of that rock...not the first time that bird has perched there...so you can likely try to get him again...

That was my biggest frustration at Brazos Bend...the birds didn't fly in such a manner that they were properly lit...they were not listening when I told them to fly the direction I wanted them to!

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,454 posts
Gallery: 1868 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 27, 2018 15:33 |  #14375

navydoc wrote in post #18595129 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Just outstanding Gene!! And by the looks of the whitewash a favorite perch or him/her or someone else....def. a place to return/blind for some BIF action.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,033 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 27, 2018 15:37 |  #14376

last one from the series.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

MedicineMan4040
19,454 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 27, 2018 15:40 |  #14377

I'm going to post a non-sony and a how-to for the new bierders/BIF'ers (Gene/Travis) here.
It is really really helpful to have you and someone else working together.
We spotted this Black Chested Eagle down the road.
I get Poof to drop me off.
She drives past the eagle. If we stop near him he flies and no shot usually and if so its a butt shot.
After getting well past him she stops the car and begins walking toward him, and in essence to me who is
crouched down in the weeds by a fenceline 180 away from her.
Soon as she crosses his 'barrier' he flies.
Often they will fly opposite the one walking to them, so I try to get opposite where she is.
It has worked time and time again for us.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7589/16847010587_f4ec2cccc8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rEHk​iM  (external link) What a birder lives for I suppose (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
19,454 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 27, 2018 15:42 |  #14378

Now back to the normal stuff-

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/800/40340430864_51ea9e4ff6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/24sK​fE5  (external link) For the young (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 27, 2018 16:07 |  #14379

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18595162 (external link)
I'm going to post a non-sony and a how-to for the new bierders/BIF'ers (Gene/Travis) here.
She drives past the eagle. If we stop near him he flies and no shot usually and if so its a butt shot.
After getting well past him she stops the car and begins walking toward him, and in essence to me who is
Often they will fly opposite the one walking to them, so I try to get opposite where she is.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rEHk​iM  (external link) What a birder lives for I suppose (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

I wondered if you could do that...and I wondered if they would fly away from the moving one...I have a lot to learn about the BIF part...those were more misses than hits, but I managed to snag a few. I will keep that in mind next time...these water birds were in the shallows right next to the trail...anything came near they took flight.

This Egret did battle with his dinner for a while...so long so, that I got bored and kept walking, this snake put up a hell of a fight...I liked the defense mechanism of wrapping himself around the beak of the Egret. It worked for a while, but the bird finally just started thrashing its head all over, I am guessing just to wear the snake out.

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,488 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 27, 2018 16:26 |  #14380

Here's an egret shot from this morning. No snakes though. :-(

HOSTED PHOTO

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 27, 2018 16:28 |  #14381

navydoc wrote in post #18595187 (external link)
Here's an egret shot from this morning. No snakes though. :-(

nice, cool to see the textures and color variation in that plummage on the back...is that a Snowy Egret?

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,488 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by navydoc. (2 edits in all)

Mar 27, 2018 16:38 |  #14382

TRhoads wrote in post #18595189 (external link)
nice, cool to see the textures and color variation in that plummage on the back...is that a Snowy Egret?

That's called a Cattle Egret. Here's a snowy egret I also shot this morning. They were in a group.

HOSTED PHOTO

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
7,550 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 27, 2018 16:51 |  #14383

navydoc wrote in post #18595191 (external link)
That's called a Cattle Egret. Here's a snowy egret I also shot this morning. They were in a group.

Thanks for the clarification...I am Still learning.

I shot a couple Snowy Egrets at Brazos as well, in the water and In flight.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,488 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 27, 2018 16:54 |  #14384

TRhoads wrote in post #18595197 (external link)
Thanks for the clarification...I am Still learning.

I shot a couple Snowy Egrets at Brazos as well, in the water and In flight.

I have a long way to go in learning even just the birds local to me.

Oh, the bird you posted above may be a white heron instead of an egret. I'm going by the length of the neck.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
13,488 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 27, 2018 16:55 |  #14385

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18595162 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Thanks for the great tips. Now I just need to find someone willing to be my bird flusher outer. :lol:

sponsored links

4,410,314 views & 77,359 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.