Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Jan 2018 (Thursday) 00:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Godox AD600Pro

Nismode
Goldmember
1,749 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 29, 2018 22:06 |  #136

Couldn't wait/didn't see anyone answer my question as yet so I did it myself :)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=IOHDySUmotU (external link)

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
6D2|6D|EOS M5|Mavic Air
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)|Rokinon 50 f/1.2 (EF-M)
Σ 12-24mm II|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM|50mm f/1.4|85mm f/1.8|70-200 f/4 L IS
Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|TT350c
Everything's for sale for the right price ;)

sponsored links
MayaTlab
99 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Mar 30, 2018 03:21 |  #137

Nismode wrote in post #18596762 (external link)

Thanks ! So at least the umbrella hole remains usable.

I'm not sure though that interaction with the AD200's flash tube will be excellent or not.

If only Godox would hurry up and release a new AD200 pro or a smaller version of the AD600 pro...

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,757 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 30, 2018 06:55 |  #138

Nismode wrote in post #18596762 (external link)

Well, it was always clear that it would fit. It's Bowens mount, after all. The question is whether the light it projects is of acceptable quality.

Nismode
Goldmember
1,749 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 30, 2018 18:27 |  #139

I should have added a voiceover - it will mount, but doesn't lock :( I explained in the description.

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
6D2|6D|EOS M5|Mavic Air
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)|Rokinon 50 f/1.2 (EF-M)
Σ 12-24mm II|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM|50mm f/1.4|85mm f/1.8|70-200 f/4 L IS
Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|TT350c
Everything's for sale for the right price ;)

RDKirk
12,757 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 30, 2018 19:38 |  #140

Here is a comparison of the AD600Pro "slim" reflector (top image) and the conventional 7-inch reflector (bottom image) on an AD600.

The throw pattern is somewhat wider as we could expect, inasmuch as the tube extends farther out of the shallower AD600Pro reflector. It's also significantly softer and smoother. You can see that the center of the light from the AD600Pro reflector is less concentrated than that of the 7-inch reflector.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

The AD600Pro reflector fits quite tightly on the AD600 light--at first I thought it wouldn't. It took a hefty twist. This is a matter of really close lug tolerance. There is zero play when it locks.

The AD600Pro reflector does not fit the AD-B2 bracket. The problem is the set of strengthening spines projecting from the front of the bracket face just past the lug slots. The raised spines interfere with the rear end of the slick-looking shroud of the reflector.

fotopaul
479 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Mar 31, 2018 00:10 |  #141

The AD600 is very direct and creates a hotspot regardless if you use a reflector or not..;-)a

Instagram (external link)
Blog (external link)

RDKirk
12,757 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 31, 2018 07:40 |  #142

fotopaul wrote in post #18597427 (external link)
The AD600 is very direct and creates a hotspot regardless if you use a reflector or not..;-)a

Well, of course there's going to be a hotspot to some extent. It's a direct reflector--it's what it does. You'd have to obstruct the tube in some way to prevent a hotspot.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,863 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by bobbyz.

Mar 31, 2018 08:12 |  #143

The Elinchroms tubes don't do it.:) Sorry couldn't resist.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

RDKirk
12,757 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 31, 2018 08:55 |  #144

bobbyz wrote in post #18597536 (external link)

Unless the tube has a diffuser in front of it, they do.

It's a hard physics characteristic of a near-point source illuminating a flat surface.

Inverse square law rules.

fotopaul
479 posts
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by fotopaul.

Mar 31, 2018 11:02 |  #145

RDKirk wrote in post #18597523 (external link)
Well, of course, there's going to be a hotspot to some extent. It's a direct reflector--it's what it does. You'd have to obstruct the tube in some way to prevent a hotspot.

Think you misunderstood, I was referring to the different flash tube designs of the AD600 and the AD600 Pro

The new horseshoe design of the AD600 PRO flash tube behaves just like most studio flashes does, giving you a quite even spread even with a reflector. The more forward and the narrower beam of the old does not. Shoot them side by side with or without a reflector and you will see this.

bobbyz wrote in post #18597536 (external link)

Correct, if you actually bothered to do the test your self this would not come as a surprise to you...;-)a

IMAGE: http://paullindqvist.se/images/godox_elb_bare.png
IMAGE: http://paullindqvist.se/images/godox_elb_ref.png
IMAGE: http://paullindqvist.se/images/godox_elb_sb1.png
IMAGE: http://paullindqvist.se/images/godox_elb_lm.png

Blog (external link)

RDKirk
12,757 posts
Joined May 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by RDKirk. (3 edits in all)

Mar 31, 2018 11:23 |  #146

fotopaul wrote in post #18597631 (external link)
Think you misunderstood, I was referring to the different flash tube designs of the AD600 and the AD600 Pro

The new horseshoe design of the AD600 PRO flash tube behaves just like most studio flashes does, giving you a quite even spread even with a reflector. The more forward and the narrower beam of the old does not. Shoot them side by side with or without a reflector and you will see this.

Correct, if you actually bothered to do the test your self this would not come as a surprise to you...;-)a

I see a hot spot in every one of those images, and a light meter would prove it. Moreover, the difference those images show is not significantly different from the images of my post--using the same tube in different reflectors.

Is the size and intensity of the hot spot affected by the shape of the tube--well, yes, to the extent that the tube is more or less a point source compared to its distance from the illuminated object (pull that tube farther from the wall).

But the reflector makes a bigger difference.

Physics is not proven wrong. There is no near-point source flash that has no hot spot when projected upon a flat surface.

fotopaul
479 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Mar 31, 2018 11:39 |  #147

RDKirk wrote in post #18597643 (external link)
I see a hot spot in every one of those images, and a light meter would prove it. Moreover, the difference those images show is not significantly different from the images of my post--using the same tube in different reflectors.

Yes, I do have both an L-858D and a C700 at my disposal and you can be assured they both were used when I tested the AD600E... carry on. :-P

Blog (external link)

simonbarker
189 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 31, 2018 21:57 |  #148

One has a small reflector behind the tube.
One has a frosted dome.
One doesn't have either and a different shaped tube.

Amazingly these produce different results, not really sure why that means you need to snap at one another over it.

fotopaul
479 posts
Joined Jul 2015

Apr 01, 2018 00:45 |  #149

simonbarker wrote in post #18597953 (external link)
One has a small reflector behind the tube.
One has a frosted dome.
One doesn't have either and a different shaped tube.

Amazingly these produce different results, not really sure why that means you need to snap at one another over it.

Not entirely correct, the AD600E which I tested and is used in the comparison have a small reflector behind the tube as well. ;-)a

Blog (external link)

MayaTlab
99 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Apr 01, 2018 04:08 as a reply to  @ fotopaul's post |  #150

Could there be a difference between the AD600E and the AD600B ? With the E it feels as if Godox tried to replicate Elinchrom's built in reflector, without maybe understanding how the flash tube design difference could possibly make that a bad idea.

sponsored links

21,995 views & 72 likes for this thread
New Godox AD600Pro
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.