Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 07:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who uses a light meter or uses camera

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 01, 2018 07:01 |  #1

Was out on a shoot and the pro was using a light meter. He took readings in the light and shade, did some maths, and worked out the best exposure settings. He then showed how to do this a from a gray card.

I have done, thought not always, taken several readings with my camera and worked out a “best” exposure rather than just reviewing the histogram and making an appropriate change. You of course can do this with digital but not with film.

So who is using a light meter, their camera for multiple readings or just setting using the setting the camera says to?

Illegitimi non carborundum --- as they said in Roman times ---

sponsored links
Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,153 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined May 2007

Apr 01, 2018 07:26 |  #2

I grew up using a light meter and gray card with my film cameras so today these remain in my bag and I still pull them out periodically. Sometimes the results can be very different from what the camera's reflective meter states.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

PhotosGuy
75,346 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 01, 2018 08:49 |  #3

My incident meter has gathered dust since I went digital.
Why Shoot RAW? (external link) takes the worry out of some of the miStaKEs I've made, and 99.99% of the time this method eliminates the need for a external meter for incident readings: Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 01, 2018 09:01 |  #4

I've been using SLRs with light meters in them for 42 years. Not once have I felt the need for a separate light meter. Though I do bracket some film shots, just to be sure.

Tom

arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by arthurbikemad.

Apr 01, 2018 09:10 |  #5

Ahhhh, where's me popcorn.... :p

I use a meter, L478 and L858.

Always for studio stuff, not always for run of the mill, however I do like to "see" light and gain an understanding of my exposure before I take my shot, as I say not always, camera meter is great but.... I swear by my meter, colour chart and grey card for product shots.

No camera reads flash or incident light, it's a handy device to have in the bag, if things go weird I could grab my meter.

Bassat
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 01, 2018 09:19 |  #6

Educate me, please. What 'goes weird', and how can a meter help where the camera can't?

Tom

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,208 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2018 09:31 |  #7

Naturalist wrote in post #18598104 (external link)
I grew up using a light meter and gray card with my film cameras so today these remain in my bag ....

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18598147 (external link)
My incident meter has gathered dust since I went digital. ...

Me as well. I still have my light meter though it's always in my camera drawer these days. I much prefer using a test shot and histogram. So much quicker and more accurate. A light meter will tell you general exposure to use to get a correct exposure but tells you nothing about the separate color channels. I like to know if any of the channels are over/under exposed based on the scene I am shooting. A light meter just can't do that.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by arthurbikemad.

Apr 01, 2018 09:42 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18598170 (external link)
Educate me, please. What 'goes weird', and how can a meter help where the camera can't?

Ok, it's a flippant comment but, in short, if I failed to get the correct exposure (studio) with multiple lights I can grab the meter, set and measure the output and pop.

Educated me, how do you set up multiple lights without a meter? For example? :)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,863 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 01, 2018 09:46 |  #9

When using strobes which I do mostly (inside and outside) I always use my meter. Someday cameras will let select the face and show only the histogram for that area. Till them histogram does nothing for me. Same when using multiple strobes. Now after using the external meter for a while, and knowing your strobes, modifiers, you can get to ball park even without using the meter.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Bassat
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 01, 2018 09:58 |  #10

arthurbikemad wrote in post #18598185 (external link)
Ok, it's a flippant comment but, in short, if I failed to get the correct exposure (studio) with multiple lights I can grab the meter, set and measure the output and pop.

Educated me, how do you set up multiple lights without a meter? For example? :)

Maybe it is just how I work, but the only time I use multiple lights/umbrellas/boxes is for 'product' shots. Nothing is moving, nobody is getting impatient, so I have lots of time to get it right. Trial, error, adjust, repeat until I've got it right. Since I am usually moving things around at the same time, I'm pretty sure a meter wouldn't help. Always willing to learn, though.

My step-dad used light meters all the time. He was a painter, not a photographer. I think it helped him understand what he was trying to capture, though. Pretty much what we're all doing.

Tom

arthurbikemad
91 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Apr 01, 2018 10:05 |  #11

Bassat wrote in post #18598194 (external link)
Maybe it is just how I work, but the only time I use multiple lights/umbrellas/boxes is for 'product' shots. Nothing is moving, nobody is getting impatient, so I have lots of time to get it right. Trial, error, adjust, repeat until I've got it right. Since I am usually moving things around at the same time, I'm pretty sure a meter wouldn't help. Always willing to learn, though.

My step-dad used light meters all the time. He was a painter, not a photographer. I think it helped him understand what he was trying to capture, though. Pretty much what we're all doing.

I think you have a good point, I find with models/people moving around and meters things can get very confusing, however for a base setting and an idea of what ratio you have with lights the meter can be useful, I don't like to faff around and feel the meter helps with setup times.

Also I have used the memory and spot meter to average out a scene, another feature I find useful in a meter, the 1DX2 also has this ability, I.e you can add several meter points to memory and take an average, perhaps the tech geek in my enjoys the tech and know how, I like to hear how people work, facinates me how photographers and artists work.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,295 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by kf095.

Apr 01, 2018 10:24 |  #12

TheLaird wrote in post #18598092 (external link)
...You of course can do this with digital but not with film.

So who is using a light meter, their camera for multiple readings or just setting using the setting the camera says to?

I use film cameras with TTL meter, just as digital. Pointing it two the sky, middle and ground and using middle settings for even exposure.
If light is difficult, I use light meter for film and taking control picture with digital.

But sometimes I just use S16 if I need something particular in the picture to be well exposed. :-)

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4511/23930345828_1c38c8860e_o.jpg

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,238 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Apr 01, 2018 11:24 |  #13

EVERY meter has some limitation or other, so by understanding the meter you will be able to select the best one to use for a given circumstance.
If one understands what one meter vs. another tell you, you will comprehend the limitations of each meter type in a specific situation! Then you will understand which meter works best for that specific situation.

Most times I use a spotmeter, yet other times I understand that Evaluative gives me the smallest range of error in rapidly changing shooting situations.
Sometimes I use a reflected light meter, yet other times I will depend upon an incident light meter.
Sometimes I start with an incident light meter for overall exposure, but then use a spotmeter to measure the shadow and highlight areas for the range of brightness in my scene.
Sometimes, in the studio, I use incident flash meter, but for some other circumstances I use a reflected light spot meter for flash.
The Canon eTTL meter does NOTHING for metering studio flash (unless you are using one of the nTTL capable flash units that came out in recent years...but then there is not guaranteed shot to shot consistency that you get with manually controlled flash)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,610 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 26, 2018 21:36 |  #14

in my earlier film days i bought a Gossen Luna-Pro. my boss got the Luna-Pro F (flash capable)...

i carried that thing around with me until the mercury battery shells (they were dead) were the last remaining "looking like" mercury cell left in the universe...

i generally just used the meter in my AE-1 and F-1n since it was able to measure the light through whichever lens i planned on shooting with. the meter on the other hand measured a much larger area and often gave conflicting data...

i suppose if i had a flash meter, i would maybe use it more than i did with the Luna-Pro but, after very little playing around with my OCF, (simple speedlites in umbrellas) ive got the basic exposures all figured out...

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 27, 2018 16:38 |  #15

I am using a light meter very little these days.

For one, I shoot in the redwoods, and what I'm shooting toward is often in different exposure than where I'm actually standing. And, the light can change ever 5 seconds literally. From adapting to that using the camera, I found I can do similar for portraits.

Also, I have good light meter, or did. A Sekonic. It quit functioning after a year and I found it near impossible to get a reply from the company whether it could be fixed. Considering it's expense, I'm trying to avoid giving more money for a product that comes nowhere close the mileage I've got from lenses.

For camera functions, I found the blinking for clipped highlight areas shown on screen to be rather reliable.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links

1,199 views & 1 like for this thread
Who uses a light meter or uses camera
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.