Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
15,496 posts
Gallery: 1475 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 03, 2018 01:57 |  #14716

First bug of 2018.
Living specimen=no stacking :(

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/810/27328861298_21b4c32519_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HCXy​kL  (external link) First bug 2018 (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,216 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by navydoc.

Apr 03, 2018 05:25 |  #14717

As a reminder, this weeks theme is "METALIC" for the 52 week challenge. Be creative using color, gloss, texture, anything that conveys something that is or looks metalic.

At first, I announced a theme I had already used before and have now changed it to this one. My apologies for any confusion.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

kekane
83 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2015

Apr 03, 2018 07:04 |  #14718

navydoc wrote in post #18598730 (external link)
I purchased mine using PayPal and the receipt says I made the purchase on March 20th (my birthday ;) ). It was delivered via USPS on March 29th. You should be able to track your package through DHL. I got the tracking number by following the 'view order' button on the update emails I received.

As a side note, I changed a few things from this setup photo (background, water container, and light positions), and I wasn't able to sync the flash with the drop again. I get frustrated easily so I left things alone for awhile. I've had other things to do and haven't tried again since then so I don't know what I'm still doing wrong yet. I know I did bump the magic arm supporting the valve and that it moved a little during the change of setup but I should be able to break things down and set back up again relatively quickly I would think.

I've also purchased from their website via PayPal on March 28th. I just checked the status and it just says, "Your order is confirmed"...and it's said that since last week....with no additional updates/info. Although, I did receive a "Thank you" email which also asked if I had any questions. So yesterday I asked about the status of my order with no reply just yet.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,216 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2018 07:30 |  #14719

kekane wrote in post #18599349 (external link)
I've also purchased from their website via PayPal on March 28th. I just checked the status and it just says, "Your order is confirmed"...and it's said that since last week....with no additional updates/info. Although, I did receive a "Thank you" email which also asked if I had any questions. So yesterday I asked about the status of my order with no reply just yet.

Very strange. I hope you get your Pluto soon or at least a reply from them explaining what your order status is. A couple of days after I ordered, I hadn't seen any notice of shipping so I contacted customer service too on Friday the 23rd. I got a reply 2 days later, on Sunday the 25th that read:

"Hi Gene,

Thanks for reaching out to us. You can receive DHL shipment on 30th-Mar.

Best regards,

Fiona"

I also ordered their Magic Arm on the same day I ordered the trigger and received a 2nd purchase confirmation. That order was never updated or tracking number provided. Fortunately, it was included in the package containing the trigger and valve. I just checked and that order still hasn't been updated to show it was ever shipped.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,752 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2018 09:11 |  #14720

Charlie wrote in post #18599241 (external link)
I shoot by the ocean...... OFTEN.

What I can say is that it's best NOT to retract your tripod while shooting. Try holding off all the way till you can at least rinse it. Tripod disassembly and relube is a total PITA. If you have to retract due to a hike, best bring some water with you to wash off excess sand (your drinking water). Finding cool compositions can be challenging but it's a lot of fun at the beach, especially tide pools.....

Thanks Charlie. Good advice.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,949 posts
Gallery: 541 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 03, 2018 11:46 |  #14721

Any of you guys ever use a monopod? I’m wondering if it could be a substitute to a tripod on an overseas trip. Was thinking that I could brace the monopod against things (walls, poles, fences etc) to achieve the same outcome without the bulk of a tripod. Has anyone done this?

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
RX1R II | α7R III | Voigtlander 15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | Batis 85

BJ_Nguyen
381 posts
Gallery: 132 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 03, 2018 12:04 |  #14722

Cathedral Basilica St Louis MO
Pixel Shift

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

MedicineMan4040
15,496 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 03, 2018 12:05 |  #14723

xpfloyd wrote in post #18599458 (external link)
Any of you guys ever use a monopod? I’m wondering if it could be a substitute to a tripod on an overseas trip. Was thinking that I could brace the monopod against things (walls, poles, fences etc) to achieve the same outcome without the bulk of a tripod. Has anyone done this?

Eddie they make a mono with a 'foot'.
Might really help with lightweight mirrorless but depending on conditions I don't think I'd let go, maybe a tether to the wrist?
I think mine is Sirui but there are several choices. This pic is a Manfrotto model.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,949 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 03, 2018 12:09 |  #14724

BJ_Nguyen wrote in post #18599466 (external link)
Cathedral Basilica St Louis MO
Pixel Shift
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by BJ_Nguyen in
./showthread.php?p=185​99466&i=i236664523
forum: Sony Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by BJ_Nguyen in
./showthread.php?p=185​99466&i=i41352453

Very cool

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,949 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 03, 2018 12:12 |  #14725

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18599467 (external link)
Eddie they make a mono with a 'foot'.
Might really help with lightweight mirrorless but depending on conditions I don't think I'd let go, maybe a tether to the wrist?
I think mine is Sirui but there are several choices. This pic is a Manfrotto model.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MedicineMan4040 in
./showthread.php?p=185​99467&i=i157607564

Thanks Robert, I saw these but wasn’t sure if it was just a gimmick. If I’m keeping hold of the top I couldn’t see what the benefit of the little tripod bit at the bottom would give verses just the monopod touching the ground. I certainly wouldn’t be chancing letting go on one of those!

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,087 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 03, 2018 12:15 |  #14726

xpfloyd wrote in post #18599458 (external link)

I use a video monopod....... for video ;-)a

It has feet, which keep it very stable. Not sure it can do LE though, that's a bit of a tall order.

I've seen very small footprint tripods like the mefoto backpacker air. I have a monopod that sets up like that (velbon, mefoto likely copied that idea), extremely fast, but at the cost of some stability.

super small and compact velbon monopod, is what I have, and use it as a hiking stick, if it had feet, it might have a chance at some LE, but without the feet leaning on anything it would just twist up.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,752 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 03, 2018 12:19 |  #14727

Lightroom is getting an update to include new color profiles. Looks very interesting and should hopefully be closer to what you get from Capture1.

MedicineMan4040
15,496 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 03, 2018 12:23 |  #14728

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/878/41168524582_7e556c3328_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/25HV​s4Y  (external link) Pandion 2018 (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,949 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 03, 2018 12:25 |  #14729

Thanks Charlie, just to be clear I don’t want something that will free stand but more wondering if I could brace a monopod against something solid. I suppose that limits me to shooting from solid item locations.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,216 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 03, 2018 12:34 |  #14730

xpfloyd wrote in post #18599474 (external link)
Thanks Robert, I saw these but wasn’t sure if it was just a gimmick. If I’m keeping hold of the top I couldn’t see what the benefit of the little tripod bit at the bottom would give verses just the monopod touching the ground. I certainly wouldn’t be chancing letting go on one of those!

For my monopod, I splurged and bought a Kirk tilting Arca-Swiss monopod head similar to this one since all my other supports are Arca-Swiss compatible. Originally, I bought my monopod to help support my EF 300L f2.8 lens.

https://www.kirkphoto.​com/kirk-mpa-2-monopod-head.html (external link)

sponsored links

1,101,694 views & 42,611 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.