Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 16 Mar 2018 (Friday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I've switched to Sony twice. Hated it. Now I'm thinking about doing it a third time.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 04, 2018 13:43 |  #91

Ikehrara wrote in post #18598225 (external link)
how is the sony camera and sony adapter with canon lens 600mm quality?

imageswest wrote in post #18600118 (external link)
It will be just like on a Canon camera, except sharper and with more dynamic range... ;-)a

I would be very surprised if this is the case.

If the Canon 600mm can focus just as rapidly on things like birds in flight and wide receivers running at 20 miles per hour, then kudos to the adapter. . But that just doesn't sound at all realistic, and goes contrary to what most bird-in-flight and fast action sports photographers have reported with adapted supertelephoto glass.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,116 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 04, 2018 13:52 |  #92

Yeah super telephoto focal lengths don't adapt well.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 04, 2018 17:19 |  #93

bobbyz wrote in post #18600178 (external link)
Has anyone tested this? Just asking as I heard that Canon superteles have issues on Fuji cameras due to not enough current drive provided by the camera.

Here's someone shooting football with the Sony A9 and the old first-version Canon EF 600mm f4L IS - I would expect you would get a little better performance with the version II of the lens.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=aaBhBhSQBVI (external link)

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

2loose
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Gallery: 192 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 04, 2018 17:57 |  #94

imageswest wrote in post #18600312 (external link)
Here's someone shooting football with the Sony A9 and the old first-version Canon EF 600mm f4L IS - I would expect you would get a little better performance with the version II of the lens.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=aaBhBhSQBVI (external link)

I used to have Canon 600mm V1 multiple times and none of them are sharp. Canon 600mm v1 is known not a sharp lens, so when you said it's sharper by using sony body and adapter, IMO it's kinda hard to believe. I was using 5d3 and 1d4 at that time.

Now since you showed a video about sony a9 and 600mm V1, I'd assume it will be fair to compare it to 1dx2.

Again, I highly doubt sony a9 + adapter with 600mm will perform better than 1dx2 + 600mm

Body:Canon EOS-5D Mark IV, Fuji X-T2
Lenses: Canon EF 85mm f1.2L II, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L II, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L II, Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II, Canon TC 1.4X III, Fuji XF 23mm f1.4 R, Fuji XF 35mm f1.4 R

flickr (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,116 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 04, 2018 21:45 |  #95

2loose wrote in post #18600328 (external link)
I used to have Canon 600mm V1 multiple times and none of them are sharp. Canon 600mm v1 is known not a sharp lens, so when you said it's sharper by using sony body and adapter, IMO it's kinda hard to believe. I was using 5d3 and 1d4 at that time.

Now since you showed a video about sony a9 and 600mm V1, I'd assume it will be fair to compare it to 1dx2.

Again, I highly doubt sony a9 + adapter with 600mm will perform better than 1dx2 + 600mm

There are some Canon lenses that have greater apparent sharpness when adapted to Sony bodies than they are on native Canon bodies. It's a matter of seeing lenses on higher resolution sensors and the fact that the AF system of mirrorless bodies is critically more accurate than DSLR's, so images simply look sharper. i.e. the 50L is an effing problem child of a lens with DSLR AF systems and people are used to this lens looking mushy, but its capable of consistently producing sharp images when mounted to a7 bodies in my experience.

But yes the initial focus acquisition when you adapt super telephoto lenses takes a big hit when you adapt them. Lenses <135mm adapt well, but when you go beyond that the AF reliability starts to suffer pretty badly.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

2loose
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 04, 2018 22:40 as a reply to  @ mystik610's post |  #96

Yeah I was talking specifically about 600mm since he/she was asking about that particular lens.

I'm pretty sure for shorter lenses it will work very nicely with sony + adapter.

And I also pointed out that, to be a fair comparison, sony a9 should be compared to 1dx or 1dx2. Now, I will be very surprised if sony a9 will perform better than 1dx/2 with 600mm.

Lenses: Canon EF 85mm f1.2L II, Canon 24mm TS-E f3.5L II, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L II, Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II, Canon TC 1.4X III, Fuji XF 23mm f1.4 R, Fuji XF 35mm f1.4 R

flickr (external link)

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,168 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 04, 2018 23:46 |  #97

I used to have GAS :lol: But over the last 4 years have calmed down on the exchanging camera situation. The only time Ive thought of it lately has been to consider selling my 5DIII and 7DII and replace with a 1DX (mark 1, no way I could afford mark2) Then I ask myself why Id have to do this. For the most part my cameras do a great job. I cant imagine giving up either as they both have their good points. I have absolutely no intention of switching brands, never have liked the ergonomics of Nikon, dont know Sony. I love Fuji but cant see myself selling my X100 because I love that too. Although I sell some images I am not making a living from photography and think its not justified to keep changing cameras in search of what I think is perfection. There are however a few lenses I lust after :-D

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

pbrimages
353 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 05, 2018 21:38 |  #98

aladyforty wrote in post #18600496 (external link)
I used to have GAS :lol: <snip> Although I sell some images I am not making a living from photography and think its not justified to keep changing cameras in search of what I think is perfection. There are however a few lenses I lust after :-D

And that's the magic of GAS. Contrary to popular belief, there is no need to ditch one thing just because you bought something else. My philosophy is just like we used to say way back in the day "I WANT IT ALL!" :lol:

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

tbdinh22
60 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2017

Apr 06, 2018 20:33 |  #99

I tested a Sony A7RIII with Canon 24-70 II and 200 F2 with Metabone V. The AF is too slow dimly lit hotel room. I don't think I can trust it to do wedding works. The owner had to rely on manual focusing in dimly lit reception for videography.

Sony A7RIII ergonomic is also very off to me. Perhaps if I use an L bracket with native lens ($$$) it would change my experience.

Canon 5D IV. 24- 70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, Sigma 135 1.8 Art, Sigma 85 1.4 Art, Tamron 15-30 2.8 VC, Tamron 90 2.8 VC
Los Angels Wedding Photography (external link)
Orange County Wedding Photography (external link)

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 07, 2018 11:15 |  #100

2loose wrote in post #18600328 (external link)

Are you talking about the ancient, pre-IS 600mm f4L made back in the late 1980's? If so you might be correct.

I was referring to the first-generation 600mm f4L IS lens, which is one of Canon's sharpest telephotos.

In terms of how well the lens works on the Sony bodies, my comment was in response to someone who asked about the QUALITY of the images, which of course will be better on a camera with more resolution, better focus accuracy, and more dynamic range, all else being equal. I did NOT say anything about how fast the AF works with the adapter on a Sony body.

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 07, 2018 11:26 |  #101

pbrimages wrote in post #18601033 (external link)
Contrary to popular belief, there is no need to ditch one thing just because you bought something else.

I share this mindset.

I have always had trouble understanding why so many people seem to have the idea that they can only use one system. . Like, they think of getting a Sony as "switching to Sony", instead of adding a Sony to their current lineup.

I have seriously considered getting a Sony; an a6000, to be specific. . But I have never even considered getting rid of my Canon bodies in exchange for the Sony. . The Sony, of course, would be in addition to the Canon DSLRs that I already have. . I cannot understand why everyone does not look at it that way, and seems to think that they have to have only one system at a time. . That seem like a real weirdo way to think, and yet most people seem to think that way.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Osa713
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 07, 2018 13:38 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #102

Because everyone cannot afford to shoot multiple systems. Often times one system is sold to fund another, very simple concept.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,495 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 07, 2018 17:43 |  #103

Osa713 wrote in post #18601983 (external link)
Because everyone cannot afford to shoot multiple systems. Often times one system is sold to fund another, very simple concept.

Yes indeed!! However human nature will justify whatever system they use.

My Canon does virtually everything I need to do regardless of light quality...... "oh but your Canon is a heavy body system".

Fuji crop system is lighter but it's still not as responsive as Sony, Canon and Nikon in AF department. It does appear there is more working professionals using Canon, Nikon and now Sony. Perhaps due to lens collections in their gear bags and personal preference? Canon and Nikon users never really complain about low light AF especially with an external speedlight. Fuji's to date best performing crop body is the X-H1 yet there is a debate as it's a BIG BODY yet it outperforms every Fuji crop body prior to the X-H1.

The Nikon vs Canon is no longer a competition on forums. Sony people seem like "hey what the heck I'm changing from my relationship with Nikon/Canon." No real testy conversation as Sony line is extremely impressive in performance.

As a Fuji shooter I'm thinking hmmmmm what about a combo Sony A73 with 25 f/2 batis and 85 f/1.8!!! I think it'll be a "better" performer than my Fuji 16mm f/1.4 and 56 f/1.2 prime setup. If I had to make a choice of overall killer performance I think the A73 will be an absolute clear winner over my Fuji. However if I was a dedicated Fuji shooter I would have something otherwise to say about ewwww Sony..........their lenses are expensive and crappy menu system.....

The beauty of tools is that it provides a choice in selecting the "best" tool for specific reasons. What people have in their toolkit is up to their preference.

I see great benefits in multiple brands. No excuses as it'll cover every aspect in the camera geek world which may or may not improve certain photographic styles (sports, wildlife, static subjects).

A fuji shooter using a fringer adapter with non native glass would be sacrificing AF performance if your a wildlife shooter (Fuji only has the 100-400 for long telephoto). Canon or Nikon shooter with long telephoto glass shooting sports/wildlife would laugh...... however since I have a Fuji kit for enjoyable walk around adventures my Canon gear can stay home if I want convenience in a smaller package.

Sony seems to almost hit every aspect in demanding needs. No one is forcing a photog to choose their gear. If someone likes Sony...let them buy it :)

I will continue to shoot with my Fuji, Canon and now Sony......why not? :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

2loose
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 07, 2018 20:52 |  #104

imageswest wrote in post #18601921 (external link)
Are you talking about the ancient, pre-IS 600mm f4L made back in the late 1980's? If so you might be correct.

I was referring to the first-generation 600mm f4L IS lens, which is one of Canon's sharpest telephotos.

In terms of how well the lens works on the Sony bodies, my comment was in response to someone who asked about the QUALITY of the images, which of course will be better on a camera with more resolution, better focus accuracy, and more dynamic range, all else being equal. I did NOT say anything about how fast the AF works with the adapter on a Sony body.

Nope, I was talking about Canon 600mm F4L IS, the first version. I had it for 3 times, none of them are sharp, compare to other super teles. I don't know what's your standard about sharpness, but my standards are 300mm F2.8L IS and 400mm 2.8L IS. I used to have 300mm f2.8L IS V1 and V2, and 400mm 2.8L IS V1. IMO, 300mm f.2.8L IS with 2X TC is on par with 600mm f4L IS and 400mm f2.8L IS with 1.4X TC destroys 600mm f4 IS V1.

Out of the super telephotos, 600mm is the least sharp lens. 500mm is sharper.

Again which Sony bodies are you referring to and against what? You're showing a video of someone using Sony a9, so I'd assume you're referring to Sony a9 body and it's fair to compare it to Canon 1dx2.

Better focus accuracy? Really? Sony a9 has better AF accuracy than Canon 1Dx2, especially pairing it with 600mm lens? I agree with more dynamic range, but 1dx2 is no slouch at all.

flickr (external link)

Osa713
Goldmember
1,439 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Osa713.

Apr 07, 2018 22:06 |  #105

AlanU wrote in post #18602077 (external link)
However human nature will justify whatever system they use.

This happens a lot on these forums :-)

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

sponsored links

23,546 views & 213 likes for this thread
I've switched to Sony twice. Hated it. Now I'm thinking about doing it a third time.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.