Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 03 Apr 2018 (Tuesday) 05:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Framing or Mounting a Recent Image

JTF
758 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by JTF.

Apr 03, 2018 05:05 |  #1

I am looking for some ideas on the best way to present the photo below for an upcoming public exhibit. This is the last image to do and would like to have one done in a nice frame/mat or another format. I normally don't do this only use my images digitally so any suggestions are most welcome. Of course there is not right or wrong way whatever is pleasing to my eye. It may be better to have the owl off centre slightly? Original image is 6000 x 4000 around 3.7mb out of a D7200. The largest size so far is an 8 x 10 image on core foam board and matted so having this one the largest may be the way to go. Thanks again and have a good week.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Gart
472 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 03, 2018 08:40 |  #2

II would consider going portrait with this. You can try but I think the file dimensions you have listed might prevent you from doing so.

The owl is the subject of the shot and the remainder adds to the photo but is not what you want the viewers to focus on.

Gart

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,940 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 03, 2018 09:11 |  #3

I think a double mat w/ a square format would work nicely, but thats just my opinion.

I offset the owl and removed the greenery from the top left corner and dodged the owl a bit to make him a bit brighter and added a digital mat to show what I was thinking.

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

JTF
THREAD ­ STARTER
758 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 03, 2018 11:29 as a reply to  @ DagoImaging's post |  #4

I like what you did it looks good. Can the tree removal that you did be done in GIMP?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,919 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 03, 2018 11:42 |  #5

I agree, get away from making the owl bulls-eyed (dead center) of the image

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

JTF
THREAD ­ STARTER
758 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 03, 2018 12:12 |  #6

Something similar to this? What would be the smallest crop to still get a decent looking print? Original is 6000 x 3000 3.7mb. This crop is 1160 x 979, not sure if that would print out okay, if so what size? Thanks for help, appreciate.

HOSTED PHOTO

Quint ­ on ­ Trask
97 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2015

Apr 03, 2018 12:30 |  #7

I took a similar image from my boat of an eagle sitting on a piling. The original image was in 16:9 wide format. I did a vertical crop to 5 x 7 ratio for use on my cards but also mounted one on 12" x 18," 3/16" Gatorboard. I printed it out on 13 x 19" paper and sprayed it with a UV coating. Here's what it looks like:

HOSTED PHOTO

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 03, 2018 23:05 |  #8

I like the original more spacious and framed by the trees, but JMO.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,105 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 04, 2018 08:01 |  #9

Topaz just released a tool for its Studio application/plug-in that simulates a wide variety of frame and mat combinations, etc.:

https://web.topazlabs.​com/digital-frame/ (external link)

called Digital Frame.

Maybe it is worth the $15 for visualizing real physical presentations of your work, as well as creating digital framed copies for internet presentation.

kirk

Kirk
---

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,844 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Apr 04, 2018 17:29 |  #10

I like the owl off-center, but would definitely keep this as a landscape orientation and not a portrait orientation.

I would also definitely keep it at the native 3:2 aspect ratio. . As soon as something in landscape orientation is less than 3:2, it looks awkward to my eye. . In other words, five by sevens and eight by tens and sixteen by twenties all look awkward to me when they are in landscape orientation.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,919 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Apr 04, 2018 18:47 |  #11

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18600315 (external link)
I like the owl off-center, but would definitely keep this as a landscape orientation and not a portrait orientation.

I would also definitely keep it at the native 3:2 aspect ratio. . As soon as something in landscape orientation is less than 3:2, it looks awkward to my eye. . In other words, five by sevens and eight by tens and sixteen by twenties all look awkward to me when they are in landscape orientation.

It is all a matter of personal taste, and we each have our individual impression of what looks 'best'. I took the owl's eyes and body off the bulls-eye, yet it is located not too much to the left (since there is little in the frame to draw your eye back to the right for visual interest, and giving the owl the 'space' for him to fly off to the right should he be so inclined.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/7f4b639ea7c943_907377b_zpsfso5hvqu.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,601 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 05, 2018 01:05 |  #12

Yet another opinion. Yes crop to move the owl off centre... but only slightly.

As for the exhibition I think, unless it is a formal gallery, that framing may be excessive. I have all my stuff at home framed but for exhibitions I like borderless image mounted on foam-board which is then affixed to the wall with little spacers behind it so it stands away from the wall. Gives the image a 3D feel.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

sponsored links

2,032 views & 9 likes for this thread
Framing or Mounting a Recent Image
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.