Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Mar 2018 (Tuesday) 16:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom vs Capture One Wedding workflow

dub009
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 27, 2018 16:51 |  #1

I have recently been trying Capture One and evaluating if it can replace Lightroom as my main processing software for wedding photography. After about a couple weeks testing Capture One, I can honestly say that this is a very powerful editing software. One thing that held me back are my LR presets. In years of doing and processing photos, I have saved a ton of presets in LR. My frustration comes with LR speed, in which they have somehow rectified with the latest update (7.2). However comparing the tools from both LR and Capture One, I can say that Capture One is a lot more flexible. I can place it in between LR and Photoshop.

This wedding below was all done using Capture One:
http://binaryflips.com …-binaryflips-photography/ (external link)

I'm also attaching a frame a bride below comparing Lightroom (left) and Capture One (right). Capture One can produce more pleasing results. I'm just starting to play around with it and I can already see the potential.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,070 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 28, 2018 01:21 |  #2

dub009 wrote in post #18595199 (external link)
I'm also attaching a frame a bride below comparing Lightroom (left) and Capture One (right). Capture One can produce more pleasing results. I'm just starting to play around with it and I can already see the potential.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by dub009 in
./showthread.php?p=185​95199&i=i169109882
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

The use of complex software is in large part a matter of which one the individual prefers. Personally I prefer the image on the left and can't see anything on the right that couldn't be achieved quickly and easily in Lightroom.

More importantly post like this are virtually worthless unless you are going to provide specific details of the adjustments you made to both images. You may simply be better with Capture One and overlooking LR tools that others make better use of. We need details in order to make a meaningful comparison.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,777 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 28, 2018 07:41 |  #3

I can see a workflow in ACR + PS, not in Lr. Lr is far too limited in masking, layers, no Blend if, content aware fill.....etc. Lr + plugins, yes.

dub009
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 28, 2018 08:01 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #4

Completely agree with preference- and now I have a choice. I was limited to LR before and had to extend to Photoshop if I needed to stack to improve colors. I had an extra layer with added color enhancements on top of the base layer on the image on the right (as Capture One allows layers). As far as the image on the right is concerned, this is how far LR can go in terms of adding a little bit of color grade on the highlights and mid tones. Again, if you prefer the image on the left, then LR is suited.
Regarding specific adjustments to the image - did you mean mentioning how much and where I pushed the LR sliders?

Thanks for the input.

therealjomon
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 28, 2018 08:19 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #5

Looking at his work on their website, I think you are wrong in saying he maybe "overlooking LR tools that others make better use of". I myself made the switch to CaptureOne and never going back to LR. If an accomplished (again I'm basing this on what I see on his site) LR user like him have the same opinion about CaptureOne as me, It makes me feel better about my decision to switch.

Justin ­ Time
110 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Mar 28, 2018 11:25 as a reply to  @ therealjomon's post |  #6

Interesting, but I am not sure I understand.
Are you talking about adding C1 to a workflow based on LR an PS, or replacing LR and PS?

dub009
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2018

Mar 28, 2018 17:43 as a reply to  @ Justin Time's post |  #7

Absolutely - it saves me time. The skin tone adjustment in Capture One works in most cases without the need to go to Photoshop.
I used to do 70% LR then 30% PS for some that need further enhancements. Right now the layers functionality of Capture One allows me to stack color grades without the need for PS. Furthermore, if I have a series of similar images, I can copy and paste those layers to several variants.

So yes - my workflow is now 90% Capture One and 10% PS.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,924 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 28, 2018 20:10 |  #8

I have a question about C1's layers/local adjustments. Is it possible to set multiple WB settings, using specific temp and tint values? In multiple light source images it's very hard to do that even if you know the temp/tint values for all of the sources. Lr leaves you with only the option of using a relative adjustment, based on a completely different scale to that used for WB/Tint.

I wouldn't mind the relative adjustment so much if I could use it to dail in say +300 WB and -20 tint, that were then applied to the set value. That way you could at least make accurate changes to areas in different illumination sources.

I would use this a LOT!

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 29, 2018 01:02 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #18596048 (external link)
I have a question about C1's layers/local adjustments. Is it possible to set multiple WB settings, using specific temp and tint values? In multiple light source images it's very hard to do that even if you know the temp/tint values for all of the sources. Lr leaves you with only the option of using a relative adjustment, based on a completely different scale to that used for WB/Tint.

I wouldn't mind the relative adjustment so much if I could use it to dail in say +300 WB and -20 tint, that were then applied to the set value. That way you could at least make accurate changes to areas in different illumination sources.

I would use this a LOT!

Alan

I am still a beginner in C1 - but to my understanding the layers have the full capabilities of (almost?) all functions of C1. You choose the layer and do your thing and there is no difference between background and layers.

Donate if you love POTN

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,777 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 29, 2018 10:13 as a reply to  @ drmaxx's post |  #10

As I remember, there is a max of 16 layers per image in C1P. Definitely not the case in Ps....and likely other apps like Affinity Photo or Pixelmator Pro.

dub009
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2018
Post edited 8 months ago by dub009. (2 edits in all)

Mar 29, 2018 18:43 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #11

Yes - you can use all the tools in every layer in Capture One. From white balance to color grades to curves, etc. The limit would be 16 layers. In my own use, I've never gone past 5 layers. You can even stack 'presets' which are called styles in capture one thru layers.

Dan ­ Marchant
5,070 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 01, 2018 02:43 |  #12

therealjomon wrote in post #18595629 (external link)
Looking at his work on their website, I think you are wrong in saying he maybe "overlooking LR tools that others make better use of". I myself made the switch to CaptureOne and never going back to LR. If an accomplished (again I'm basing this on what I see on his site) LR user like him have the same opinion about CaptureOne as me, It makes me feel better about my decision to switch.

But how would you know which images on the OPs site are done with LR and which with C1.... unless you are the OP.

Hmmm both accounts set up on the same day and your only posts are to bump/support the OP. Busted!

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,104 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 05, 2018 08:12 |  #13

Have you had a look at LR 7.3 yet?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Dan ­ Marchant
5,070 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 06, 2018 08:48 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #14

I have. They have introduced a new camera profile system which of the surface doesn't seem that interesting but has been constructed to allow users to
1. Build their own profiles
2. Include LUTs as part of those profiles - so you can do colour grading in LR.

Dan Marchant

Ron ­ Hu
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 08, 2018 06:32 |  #15

I have over a year in C1 and with the new Layers ability which one the reason I moved in the first place. I think I started with C1 9.X and now we are in 11. I really liked the color editor and luminosity curve sep. from RGB.

Also the completely configurable workspace. The really challenge on the move was having to shell out the subscription costs. I still have LR content and go back to those edits. Some of my better shoots I pull forward and re-edit them. I hear LR subscription last 90 days after you suspend it. So I was thinking to let it pay for one month, then suspend for 85 days. then restart so it updates the lic. block and then suspend. This way you basically only pay for 4x times per year and would be more in line with what I have that I might go back to edit. I don't PS yet, but I need to learn soon.

The one thing I wish they could figure out is the crop when importing LR XMP's into C1 form.

Canon EOS 5D IV,
Canon EF 24-70L MK II, Canon EF 70-200L MK II
Sigma Art 14mm, 35mm 85mm, PW Mini TT1 & 4x Flex TT5, 580 Ex II & 430 Ex II, 4x AB800, 4x AC9, PCB BD and Softbox for AB; Sekonic 478DR

sponsored links

3,139 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightroom vs Capture One Wedding workflow
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.