Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Sep 2013 (Saturday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Product Photography Pricing? How much do I charge?

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
2,059 posts
Gallery: 107 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 17, 2014 08:37 |  #16

Hey all. I've been searching for answers to a similar question as the OP and thought I'd use this old thread as it's close to my question. I've been showing my landscape photography at a gallery for a few months and received an email from a person who saw my display. She's beginning a new business and asked to use 2 of my photo's on her website. I hadn't considered this as a source of income previously, but would like to offer her the use of these images for a fair price. Does anyone have experience of this type of endeavor and what fee to charge per photo. Obviously for web use these would be low res. Any help is much appreciated and if more information is needed, please let me know.

Jon
So much to learn, so little time.
A few worthy shots (external link)

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,393 posts
Gallery: 280 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 17, 2014 09:28 |  #17

check out some of the stock sites and rights managed sites for that kind of pricing.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

ian_socool
Goldmember
1,799 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by ian_socool.

Feb 04, 2015 04:20 |  #18

Excellent thread. I googled this question and it brought me to my home. I just did my regular rate per hour for my photoshoots. Now my client asked me if I can do 2 more. I have to charge him per piece with a minimum of 10 pieces which will come to my hourly then I would cut it to 1/2 the price per piece to be nice.

70D, 70D, SL1, Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, Σ30mm 1.4, 40mm 2.8 Pancake Σ70mm 2.8 EX DG Macro, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Σ85 1.4, Σ50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM APO, Godox AD 200 X's 2, 430EX II X's 2, Yongnuo YN-560II X's 2, Cowboy Studio wireless flash triggers X4.Ian_socool FlickR (external link) Facebook fanpage (external link) http://ianlynphotograp​hy.com (external link)

liukaitc
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 02, 2018 15:48 |  #19

Alveric wrote in post #16394838 (external link)
bikfoto, there are three kinds of product photography:

1. Drop & Shoot: your standard place-on-table, light and shoot job. Assembly-line style, if you will. One product after another, lighting doesn't really change, you just make minor adjustments when you change the subject. Think of a bottle of perfume on a light table: record shot. No frills.

2. Beauty shot: still life mechanics. You have to arrange the subject so as to stop, even stun, the viewer. Props might or might not be needed. Creative arrangements are the order of the day. Think of same bottle of perfume resting on a rock with a forest or beach as background, light shining from above giving it an aethereal quality.

3. Illustrative photographs: where you're selling the need for the product. The product is usually not even in the photo (although the designer might drop it in as a superimposed layer in the final ad). Think of a beautiful woman in an autumn afternoon, leaning on a railing with a yearning look in her eyes.

As you can imagine, type 1 is the cheapest and type 3 the most expensive. Which kind are you doing?

High volume photography is of the first kind, and unless your client has deep pockets, you'll be looking at charging in the tens of dollars. Adjust as per the number of images, and charge a set up fee per set to be built. Say, $50 as set-up fee and $30 for 5 shots, then start lowering as the number of products increase, say $27 for up to 10, $23 for up to 20, $20 for more than 20. This is just an example: if you're in a metro area you can even charge $100 per product; but in a small city, if you go past $50 per pic they'll just find someone else.

$15 is too low, BTW, unless you're in a hamlet.

If you're doing type 2, then the whole game changes, as it can take you several hours to construct the set and get the shot. These are the jobs for which you charge a day rate.

This is very good insight.
photography is so hard to price. I wish we can look at an rate table every time a client called us. but it is not like that.
if we could not know what client really want. we can not evaluate the rate. but the difficult part is many clients do not know what they want or how to express it. they just say whatever you think looks good. that makes the pricing part so hard.

ndaganta
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2018

Apr 06, 2018 03:02 |  #20

Being based in downtown LA, I have seen those prices sometimes as low as $7 per item. I don't personally shoot them but I have been quoted by people if I can match the price they pay which I readily declined.

Noel Daganta
http://www.ndpictures.​com (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 06, 2018 10:22 |  #21

Foodguy wrote in post #16296366 (external link)
$15? Wow... It's been years since I've done this kind of work, but I was approached by a national mail order catalog business to shoot their food items for a Christmas catalog back in the mid 90's. One thing led to another and we started shooting a bunch of other things for them as well, including lots of lay down flat clothing. We negotiated a price per photo (inclusive of everything) that was in the vicinity of $350.00. Some pictures went quickly while others took longer, but our goal was about 10 a day.

I guess things have changed.

$3500 for a day's work? . In the mid 1990s? . That's like $5700 in today's money.

Holey shamoley!

Doctors, lawyers, nuclear engineers, and CEOs don't even make that much.

No wonder the price of mail order food specialties was so ludicrous back then.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

52,841 views & 2 likes for this thread
Product Photography Pricing? How much do I charge?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.