Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Apr 2018 (Monday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50D to 80D - Philosophical question

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,381 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 05, 2018 22:33 |  #31

mikehookipa wrote in post #18598747 (external link)
Hey guys

I was wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation.

I've been using the 50D exclusively for the last 9 years and never felt the camera to be limiting in any way. There was never a case where I thought "oh I wish my camera had this x feature".

So my question is, what's the point of upgrading? Has anybody else been in a similar situation and ended up upgrading anyways to find an ah-ha moment where you're like "Ohhh this camera is so much better than previous one".

Edit: I looked in the 1DX Mk ii thread which is a $6000 camera. The 50D can do the exact same thing....what gives?

If you are not feeling limited in any way, then I would say that there *is* no point for you. The point is generally to:

a.) Get one or more features that would make shooting the things one shoots easier to capture (faster AF, better low light/noise handling, larger lcd, etc)
b.) Because one wants shiny, new gear

I, initially, resisted moving from the 40D to the 7D because the specs were incremental in increase on paper...however, just about everything about the 7D was better than the 40D. Larger and faster buffer, nearly double the resolution (10mp vs 18mp), faster and more accurate AF, micro af adjustments, more customizable shooting options, etc. Felt stupid having waited so long. There *were* downsides, but they were temporary; had to keep shutter speeds higher to avoid camera shake, therefore had to run higher ISO, the 7D *required* a good exposure to have a solid final shot, etc. The 40D gave a ton more latitude in focus precision and exposure that the newer body did not...but, I adapted and wound up a better photographer.

My turning point on making the switch was simply that I wanted a buffer that cleared faster since I was trying to shoot a lot of aerobatics at the time and the 40D is simply *much* slower in that area than the 7D was. Then I found all of the other things that made it a better body for me. I keep the 40D on hand now to hand off to my nieces/nephews when they want to take a turn with a real camera...I can hardly use it any more because it frequently doesn't have a feature that I want. <shrug>

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links
Kiwiinbrissy
Hatchling
2 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2018

Apr 06, 2018 00:03 |  #32

Well i have the 60d that does everything i want it to but the noise at not very high iso is the problem for me. Id love to get a 6d or 5dmk2 or 3 but cant really justify it as im only a hobbyist. As for the 1dx comment....your joking right???ߤ԰ߤ԰ߤ

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 06, 2018 01:27 |  #33

mikehookipa wrote in post #18599152 (external link)
I don't need the ISO performance and FPS or video.

I upgraded from a 60D to a 6D and was really cranky that I did not do the step earlier. With respect to ISO-performance, the new sensor blew the old one out of the water and some. However, this is not a concern for you. Therefore: Don't upgrade. Get a new lens. Much more fun.

Donate if you love POTN

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 06, 2018 06:21 |  #34

MakisM1 wrote in post #18600478 (external link)
Seriously Tom, what would you prefer:

a) Stick with your 80D and go for a 12 day photo safari in Africa

b) A 1DxII or any similarly priced poison of your choice?

Gerry, I suppose a serious question requires a serious answer. I will try. Neither of the choices you've presented much appeals to me.

a.) I concluded, in a rational, lucid moment, that my 80D does everything I need it to do. FPS could be higher, but 7 is adequate or an amateur, snap-shooting grandpa such as myself. Same applies to low-light work; better is available, but I don't really need it. I'd love a 12-day photo safari in Africa. Well, except for the photo part. I've been doing this long enough to know that I'd enjoy any vacation setting a bunch more if I leave the camera at home. From time to time, I'll take a camera to a Cubs game. If I'm taking photos, I'm not watching the game. I'm pretty sure the same would apply to African game. Vacations are for enjoying new experiences and spending quality time with loved ones. No camera required.

b.) I'd love a 1DX2, but I'm done with gear that heavy. Perhaps a nice 7D2, instead. But my 80D is most of a 7D2 for 1/2 the price. I'd like a full frame sensor, but that is mostly for my big-bore primes. Then again, I can't count the number of 'professional' photos I've seen where stopping down a bit would have made a better photo. Razor thin DOF does have its uses; 85mm f/1.2 tight head shots is not one of them. If I am honest with myself, shooting fast primes wide open, even on the 80D, sometimes results in too thin DOF. I really don't need FF, either.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,576 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 11 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Apr 06, 2018 07:44 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #35

The 7d2 is 50% more than the 80d, not 100%, just for clarification. ;) Also you don't need superfast primes for thin dof, you can get that with slow zooms too, that isn't a characteristic of a FF sensor, but rather lens aperture and framing of the subject. I also know of those that went FF, then later went crop, and then questioned going to FF later.

To answer whether to upgrade, the newest crops have this over the 50d:
- more resolution to crop with
- better noise characteristics than the 50d
- more capability to brighten up missed exposures
- much better AF system
- better autofocus microadjustment
- more configurability with buttons and various limits
- dual card slots on some
- flip screen and touch control on some
- better high ISO performance
- lower light AF capability
- multiple exposure and HDR in camera, useful if used correctly
- faster framerate, longer bursts
- better out of camera jPeg files
- much better rear lcd

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Pippan
Goldmember
1,419 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 06, 2018 08:45 |  #36

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18601194 (external link)
The 7d2 is 50% more than the 80d, not 100%, just for clarification. ;) Also you don't need superfast primes for thin dof, you can get that with slow zooms too, that isn't a characteristic of a FF sensor, but rather lens aperture and framing of the subject. I also know of those that went FF, then later went crop, and then questioned going to FF later.

To answer whether to upgrade, the newest crops have this over the 50d:
- more resolution to crop with
- better noise characteristics than the 50d
- more capability to brighten up missed exposures
- much better AF system
- better autofocus microadjustment
- more configurability with buttons and various limits
- dual card slots on some
- flip screen and touch control on some
- better high ISO performance
- lower light AF capability
- multiple exposure and HDR in camera, useful if used correctly
- faster framerate, longer bursts
- better out of camera jPeg files
- much better rear lcd

+ anti-flicker in some
DPAF in live view (touch focus & shutter) in some
Wifi/NFC/GPS in some

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,818 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by mwsilver.

Apr 06, 2018 14:23 |  #37

mikehookipa wrote in post #18599002 (external link)
Oh awesome thanks for the responses. Those football photos look great.

Tim & Tom offered some real insight. Basically ISO and FPS. Makes a lot of sense now.

I don't do sports or high-motion photography so I guess that's why the 50D isn't limiting. My photo style is more art/creative as opposed to technical/accurate.

Should I upgrade to the 80D? What am I getting exactly? I don't need ISO performance or higher FPS.

The 80D s a better camera in almost every respect, and it has features and options you're probably never even dreamed of, but if you're happy with the very competent 50D and don't feel you're missing anything based on what you shoot, then I wouldn't consider updating at this time. If, or when, the quality of your images no longer satisfies you and you become disenchanted with your current gear, that is the time to seriously consider an upgrade. You may or may not be surprised with how much better a more up-to-date camera is. You might consider playing around with one in a shop, or perhaps of friend's camera to see whether it's something you might be interested in.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,818 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 11 months ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Apr 06, 2018 14:32 |  #38

mikehookipa wrote in post #18599152 (external link)
Yea I'm trying to justify getting a new camera. It's not out of necessity. Nothing is out of necessity.

So far, looking at reviews and the actual difference between 50D and 80D, I don't need the ISO performance and FPS or video. So to be frank with myself, can't justify the spend.

That's why I was trying to dig out a more experiential difference. It's like if I were to borrow a 80D for a few days, would I want to go out and buy one right away.

I have 17-40mm L and 70-200m L. So the picture quality is great. ISO I don't jack it up high, I just do long exposure. I miss out on some higher quality photos but so what, it captures the moment. No need to print large or gawk at pixel. And FPS, I don't shoot sports or wildlife. So yea...

No new camera justified.

I'm surprised few people spoke about their upgrade experience. Instead, a lot of judgment on my statement. lool

You might actually be disappointed in an 80D upgrade based on how you're currently using your camera. The 50D has a magnesium alloy body versus polycarbonate plastic for the 80D. The 50D also has a joystick which is not on the 80D. You might actually be happier with a Canon 7D Mark II than with the 80D from a handling perspective since that body is closer in design to your 50D. In any case, you shouldn't get a new camera until you had a chance to play with it first.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links

4,250 views & 21 likes for this thread
50D to 80D - Philosophical question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.