Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Apr 2018 (Friday) 23:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Lightroom Catalog Advice / Travelling

twopinetreesphoto
109 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 06, 2018 23:22 |  #1

I'm really trying to refine and improve my ability to transition from field to home with Lightroom and I'd love to hear others advice. Currently, I do all my main edits in a single Lightroom catalog that has every picture I ever took in it which currently has about 16,000 files in it, on my desktop computer at home. I back this up regularly to an internal drive as well as an external RAID 5 enclosure.

My problem is that I will go out on a shoot say for a week, download my shots my laptop and process them in a new blank catalog which doesn't have my keywords or presets or anything, and when I get home I want to be able to easily retain all my edits and transition to my desktop.

Now I know I need to do some work here but I don't know what direction I need to go. I've seen others have their entire catalog on an external drive, and just plug that into laptop, desktop, whatever and just do that. I have a 128meg SSD USB 3.0 drive available for this but it won't fit all my images obviously. Do I need to separate my stuff into keepers and archive catalogs, and make my keepers catalog my transient residing on my SSD? I KNOW I don't need all 16,000 images with at all times, but all 16,000 total about 383GB. I've also heard that a catalog with a high number of files like mine causes performance issues.

I guess I'm asking what solution would you recommend, and given that, how would take what I have and transition to that? I've been trying to go and just delete junk shots I don't need but it's very tedious. Where would Smart Previews come into play, if at all? If I had all the images with me, they wouldn't because they're only helpful when I don't have the full image?

Thanks in advance.
Doug

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 07, 2018 04:41 |  #2

What I would do is copy your catalogue file and put it on your laptop. Then remove all of the images from it. This will keep all of your existing keywords etc. You might be able to do the same by exporting an essentially empty catalogue too. I just don't know what happens with keywords etc with an export. Then simply add your new images to that catalogue as you go. You will have all your keywords and stuff to hand, and will be able to do everything necessary while away.

Then when you get home you just export the images as a new catalogue, and import that new catalogue into your main Lr catalogue on your desktop. Although slower I would include the original files. Although you will have to create duplicate copies of all of the files on the laptop drive, they will at least be in the correct relative locations when you have copied them, and the exported catalogue to the desktop. You can exclude the original files, and just use the file manager to transfer them, but then you have to make sure that you keep the same relative locations for the image files as you move them around, so that the catalogue knows where to look for them. This will transfer the images, and all of the work that you have done in Lr on the laptop. Then you can delete all of the images from both the drive and the Lr catalogue on your laptop ready for next time.

I do recommend keeping all of your images in the one main Lr catalogue on your desktop computer, along with multiple backups. That way you have instant access to all of them.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 07, 2018 05:40 |  #3

The wife and I both moved from MacBooks to iMacs for the desktop. In the field we use iPad Pro 512 from image collection and initial culling. For any serious editing we import to Lr/ACR/Ps on the desktop. Only the desktop has the screen size, powerful CPU and GPU, 24GB of memory, Wacom tablet, and access to all apps and plugins needed to do serious editing work and save to RAID storage.

sjnovakovich
290 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 07, 2018 06:26 |  #4

Julianne Kost has a great video on how to accomplish this. I don't remember how I did it, but it involved putting an empty catalog on my laptop. Importing my travel shots; and then importing that catalog into my main catalog. There are several steps, but it isn't all that complicated.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,459 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 07, 2018 09:54 |  #5

I was in Portugal for a month. Used a 13" MacBook Pro and a 2 TB WD non powered external drive. Half (which was overkill) was for Time Machine (OS backup) and the other for RAW files. Worked great. Those drives are so cheap now you can have a second one for insurance.

If you want to go light I did a quick search for largest capacity flash drives. I bet these are expensive but there may be others out there.

https://www.digitaltre​nds.com …ing/largest-flash-drives/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,459 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 07, 2018 09:57 |  #6

By the way like others have suggested. My catalogue, caches, presets, etc is all on the HD in the LR Catalogue file. Only the RAW images are on the external drive.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,865 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 07, 2018 16:32 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #7

Referenced folders of images plus catalog backups are on external RAID. Then TimeMachine of entire file system on another external drive set.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 07, 2018 16:59 |  #8

I export my keywords from my desktop LR and import them into the new catalog on the laptop (or external drive- dosn't matter). I also export/import my presets. I can now edit the RAW files on to go and when I'm back home I connect the external hardrive to the desktop and do an "Import as catalog". It will retain all your edits, new keywords etc.

sponsored links

1,285 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help with Lightroom Catalog Advice / Travelling
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.