Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 07 Apr 2018 (Saturday) 13:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Track at a distance

duckster
258 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined May 2017

Apr 07, 2018 13:33 |  #1

Thoughts?

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-Track/i-vjp5JhC/0/3b652f4b/XL/IMG_0150-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://troybracker.sm​ugmug.com/2018-Track/i-vjp5JhC/A  (external link)

sponsored links
Butts
I coulda shoulda woulda
424 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 08, 2018 03:31 |  #2

I really like it, good action and the sync of both girls makes it.
I really dislike the background unfortunately, I think it detracts to the point of ruining the shot.

Have you thought about cleaning up the background? If you do, I'd crop it a bit to get rid of some dead space.

Hope you don't mind, but this is sort of what I mean (you could go further, as I did this just as an example).
Let me know if you want this image removed.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 08, 2018 07:54 as a reply to  @ Butts's post |  #3

Thanks for that input. I like the clean background. I don't have the PP skills to remove background stuff like that so that is a cool change. I think the lines of the bleachers against the runners caught my eye at first but the clean background does really make the runners pop out.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,783 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Apr 08, 2018 09:04 |  #4

I like the color/original. The background gives it a since of place. The bonuses are the shoes color on the left jumper matches the color on some of the bench seats. The line of the seats mimic the line on the track. All the repeating shapes also make the photograph much stronger. Not to mention the complimentary colors at the bottom (red/green). These things I am mentioning are all very basic design elements and usually part of all good photographs. The only distraction I see is the blue object in the very bottom left.

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 08, 2018 09:10 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #5

That was a pair of shoes on the infield. I went back and cropped just a little tighter to get rid of it. I didn’t notice it when I first posted...!

airfrogusmc
35,783 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 08, 2018 09:16 |  #6

duckster wrote in post #18602345 (external link)
That was a pair of shoes on the infield. I went back and cropped just a little tighter to get rid of it. I didn’t notice it when I first posted...!

The than removing that I wouldn't change a thing for the reasons I mentioned. And just crop enough to loose the shoes. Nicely done....

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 08, 2018 09:18 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #7

Thank you!

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 08, 2018 09:23 |  #8

Slightly tighter crop

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-Track/i-vjp5JhC/1/c19b95e6/XL/IMG_0150-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://troybracker.sm​ugmug.com/2018-Track/i-vjp5JhC/A  (external link)

The next shot in the burst

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-Track/i-jC599wQ/0/6a3d1a13/XL/IMG_0151-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://troybracker.sm​ugmug.com/2018-Track/i-jC599wQ/A  (external link)

airfrogusmc
35,783 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 08, 2018 09:43 |  #9

[QUOTE=duckster;186023​52]Slightly tighter crop

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/2018-Track/i-vjp5JhC/1/c19b95e6/XL/IMG_0150-XL.jpg

Im my opinion this is the one....

Dave3222
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 08, 2018 10:54 |  #10

I like this image but would prefer more space for where the runners are heading.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,903 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 08, 2018 13:01 |  #11

I agree with Dave here - in my eyes it would really benefit not from tighter crop, bot way wider. To both sides. But that moment is gone :]

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 08, 2018 13:04 |  #12

Thanks for all the thoughts. I will try to keep all of that in mind for next week's meet! Nice thing about T&F, there is usually another chance but maybe not with the same background.

airfrogusmc
35,783 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by airfrogusmc.

Apr 08, 2018 13:14 |  #13

Opinions are like elbows everyone has them. That's why I think it is important to try and except work for what it is instead of what we as photographers would do or would have done or would rather see. The one thing about sports and I put photojournalism in that same bucket is that you really want to refrain from altering the image beyond some color correction, density adjustments and maybe a crop. Once you start cloning and altering the image in ways that do not represent what was photographed you are entering into making something that did not happen and that in those worlds of PJ and sports those things are sometimes seen as not ethical and rightfully so.

duckster
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined May 2017

Apr 08, 2018 15:57 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #14

That is a really good point, too much alteration can be a bad thing for sports.

airfrogusmc
35,783 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 08, 2018 16:27 |  #15

duckster wrote in post #18602615 (external link)
That is a really good point, too much alteration can be a bad thing for sports.

If you ask 5 different photographers about how to crop you will most likely get 5 different opinions. What's important and is part of what can make your work different from other is the way you crop (or compose) because there is no one right or wrong way just what is right for you and the particular situation.

sponsored links

1,472 views & 3 likes for this thread
Track at a distance
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.