Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 12:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What software is everyone using to back up photos and videos?

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 08, 2018 12:20 |  #1

I've been using microsoft toysync and i'm sure there something better.

looking for recommendations.... thanks!

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,276 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 10 months ago by Wilt.

Apr 08, 2018 15:39 |  #2

Well, according to Wikipedia

SyncToy defines three different types of operation to synchronize two folders:[2]
  • Synchronize takes the two folders and makes sure they have exactly the same files. To do this, SyncToy may copy files in either direction and may delete or rename files in either folder. In the case that a file has been updated in both the left and right folders, the version with the later modification date is considered the winner. The other version will be overwritten (but can be recovered via the Recycle Bin if one's settings specify that all deletions go to the Recycle Bin).[3][4]
  • Echo looks for changes (file modifications, new files, renames, deletes) in the left folder and makes the right folder match the left folder in every way.
  • Contribute is like an Echo, but it does not delete any files.

'Backup' means to have an ability to recover from catastrophic loss, such as fire consuming your home/office.
SyncToy does not do that, it only makes sure that two folders have same content and are kept in synch with each other.

So if you only want 'data redundancy' you do not even need SynchToy, you can simply use ordinary file utilities provided within Windows (or iOS) to duplicate files into a second folder, or to let you pick and choose to overwrite or not when same filename is in both places.
And if you want true backup (against catastrophic loss of data) you need only to have all the files in a second storage device which is OFFSITE from your home/office.

Then you merely need to understand which functional capabilities are offered by ANY software program, which greatly eases or automates the tasks of maintaining 'same data in two locations'

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 10 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Apr 09, 2018 08:39 |  #3

Karen't Repiicator. Been the best free backup program for years. I installed a new copy on a Win 7 64 system yesterday.

Story was that it did not work for Win 10. However, when going to Karen't page (Karens Tools or something like that) I noticed a Win 10 version.

However, don't know. I don't do Win 10, so never installed it.

Still, it's an oldie but a goodie. And it's free.

Simple and uncluttered. Does everything needed for a general backup.

Website (external link) |

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,355 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 09, 2018 09:47 |  #4

I have used FreeFileSync for a number of years on my Mac. It is open source and free. They have versions for Windows, OSX, Linux, etc. I use it to sync my working drive to my backup drives.

You can learn about it at freefilesync.org.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,738 posts
Gallery: 318 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2018 10:09 |  #5

bpalermini wrote in post #18603061 (external link)
I have used FreeFileSync for a number of years on my Mac. It is open source and free. They have versions for Windows, OSX, Linux, etc. I use it to sync my working drive to my backup drives.

You can learn about it at freefilesync.org.

Yep, FreeFileSync here too.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 10 months ago by agedbriar. (2 edits in all)

Apr 09, 2018 10:59 |  #6

SyncBack to external disk.
One click job :-)
Oops, sorry: two clicks.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 09, 2018 11:57 |  #7

I write my own. Batch files.

Peano
Goldmember
1,726 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 09, 2018 11:58 |  #8

GoodSync (external link)

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 09, 2018 12:07 |  #9

I’m using a Mac so The specific software won’t apply but the method does...

Photo files and documents in the documents folder on Mac which is sync’d to Apple cloud.
Mac -> Apple Time Capsule with the default fulls/differentials

The above two things happen automagically.

I also do regular syncs of the images folder to an external hard drive just because. I have two of these. One lives at work, and I swap them when i load a new batch of files on the other. This last step is probably overkill, but it insulates me if/when the Apple sparsebundle fails a verify and needs to be purged and re-written ...and I lose any file backup history. I was bitten by this once.

The idea is to have at least two layers of backup.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,162 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 09, 2018 12:19 |  #10

My primary backup is RAID1. I use GoodSync to mirror the RAID drive to a set of portable hard drives that I rotate between home and an offsite location. So two layers of backup, one of which is offsite.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

jellievis
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 09, 2018 14:04 |  #11

agedbriar wrote in post #18603092 (external link)
SyncBack to external disk.
One click job :-)
Oops, sorry: two clicks.

I have a similar setup. Work well.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,324 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 09, 2018 20:07 |  #12

xcopy in a batch file.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 10, 2018 05:29 |  #13

Bassat wrote in post #18603115 (external link)
I write my own. Batch files.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18603506 (external link)
xcopy in a batch file.

Jake is on top of it! This is how I control EXACTLY what gets copied, where it gets put, and when it gets done.

Here is my general 'copy to 2nd internal HDD' backup routine:

@echo off
color 8f
cls

cd \quickenw
echo copy 20*.* and X_*.* to E: and USB
xcopy /d /y c:\quickenw\20*.* e:\quickenw
xcopy /d /y c:\quickenw\x_*.* e:\quickenw

echo.
rem if not exist q: if not exist t: if not exist z: goto skipAll

if not exist q: goto skipQ
echo Q found...
if exist q: xcopy /d /y c:\quickenw\20*.* q:\quickenw
if exist q: xcopy /d /y c:\quickenw\x_*.* q:\quickenw
echo.

:skipQ
if not exist t: goto skipT
echo T found...
if exist t: xcopy /d /y c:\quickenw\20*.* t:\quickenw
if exist t: xcopy /d /y c:\quickenw\x_*.* t:\quickenw
echo.

:skipT
if not exist z: goto skipAll
echo z: found
if exist z: xcopy /d /y c:\quickenw\20*.* z:\quickenw
if exist z: xcopy /d /y c:\quickenw\x_*.* z:\quickenw
echo.

:skipAll
cd \storage
echo copy STORAGE
xcopy /d /s /y *.* e:\storage
echo.

cd \users\SCHRIEFER
echo copy users\SCHRIEFER to E:
xcopy /d /s /y *.* e:\users\SCHRIEFER
echo.

Quick and dirty? Certainly. Does it back up EVERYTHING I do EVERY TIME I click the desktop icon? Yes. I use more extensive .bat programs to put backups on at least two external HDDs. I keep a back-up HDD with OS installed in the drawer. The last (only) time I've had a drive fail, I was up and running in an afternoon, completely recovered. This system also saved my bacon when I accidentally DELETED my entire LR catalog, and all the photos.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,701 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 10 months ago by ejenner.

Apr 13, 2018 22:35 |  #14

Just a note on SyncToy, the Echo option does not always work, this is a known bug.

The issue with just copying files, if that Windows does not give you the option of just overwriting updated files.

I'm looking for something else as well. SyncToy would be fine if Echo wasn't iffy.

Also new versions of FreeFileSync might contain malware - be careful.

https://www.bleepingco​mputer.com …sites-whats-your-opinion/ (external link)

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 10 months ago by drmaxx. (2 edits in all)

Apr 14, 2018 02:02 |  #15

I used Acronis Backup for quite a while. It's a 'real' backup program - in a sense that it provides incremental backups, versioning and all the other bells and whistles a good backup should have. I stopped using it, because I switched to a laptop as main computer that has to deal with three different networks and Acronis was (2016) not very graceful with missing drives. I now use crashplan for local backups and also for external backups to the cloud (total about 1.4 TB of 'critical' data). Once the deal runs out in 2 years, I will need to reevaluate my set-up and most likely will switch to cloud berry backup.
For syncing folders (as I said in three different networks with approx 6 different drive locations), I am using SecondCopy. Not recommended to anybody - it's just legacy on my system and the pain is not that great, that I would reconfigure another software.

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

2,500 views & 2 likes for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.