Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
Thread started 01 Nov 2015 (Sunday) 22:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Coffee Anyone?

filmuser
193 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Feb 18, 2018 09:09 as a reply to  @ post 17789252 |  #31

only one i like so far.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,364 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2018 09:43 |  #32

filmuser wrote in post #18566639 (external link)
only one i like so far.

That seems like a put-down of all the other images.

I mean, it seems as if the main point of your post is that you don't like any of the other images. . That is a really inappropriate way to comment on an image - to "praise" it by putting all of the others down in a thinly veiled manner.

The way you wrote this post doesn't seem to contribute to a positive and encouraging atmosphere for those who have contributed to this thread. . You could have said something positive about the image you like, but do so in a way that doesn't express any negative feelings toward the other images.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 25, 2018 09:48 |  #33

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Website (external link) - Facebook (external link)

5280Pics
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2018 10:13 |  #34

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4774/39887788214_fae779e1ca_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23LK​kLs  (external link) DSC07089-Edit (external link) by Noah (external link), on Flickr

5280Pics
Goldmember
1,874 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 17, 2018 13:39 |  #35

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/822/26993188578_810462b038_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/H8i9​x5  (external link) DSC07218-Edit (external link) by Noah (external link), on Flickr

Mark ­ A.
745 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 23, 2018 15:25 |  #36

At a sidewalk cafe in Engen, Germany

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5562/29596214763_8d5cb74d4f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/M6jk​wT  (external link) 107_1111 (external link) by Mark A. photo (external link), on Flickr

Mark ­ A.
745 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 23, 2018 15:31 |  #37

While on vacation in Ireland, we had cappuccino every day.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3949/15564501802_ecd4cb09a6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pHo9​8m  (external link) IRL_1485_1 (external link) by Mark A. photo (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3929/15378035390_98b7792562_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pqUs​ad  (external link) IRL_1488_1 (external link) by Mark A. photo (external link), on Flickr

In Dublin:

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5615/15574512532_0641bcea89_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pJgr​Y9  (external link) IRL_2431_1 (external link) by Mark A. photo (external link), on Flickr

ra40
449 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 05, 2018 03:38 |  #38

The second one feels like it is missing something. Your thoughts?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,364 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 05, 2018 10:29 |  #39

ra40 wrote in post #18600560 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ra40 in
./showthread.php?p=186​00560&i=i200781350
forum: Food Photography & Visual Recipes

I wouldn't necessarily say that it is missing anything. . But there are some things that look like they could be improved upon.

The reflections off of the glass and ceramic surfaces are a bit distracting. . I'm not saying that reflections are necessarily bad, but these do not look like they were controlled by you. . Rather, the reflections look like they are just wherever they happened to be. . Perhaps some greater system of "reflection control" could be employed, in which you determine what shapes you want the reflections to be, and exactly where you want them to be, and then you make that happen ...... kinda like the car photographers do with their huge tarp systems, or the way that product photographers do with their studio setups.

Also, the placement of the 2nd mug in the background is something that may not be working for you. . The fact that the base of that mug and the lower edge of the first mug's handle are lined up with each other is a bit awkward. . Ideally, there would be some compositional offset there so that they overlap each other, instead of aligning with one another.

Chopping off the top of the mugs ....... I understand that you want to do something a little different than what is typically done with coffee mug shots, and I can appreciate the effort. . But it just looks awkward with the framing that tight; I think a more normal, traditional framing, where the entire mug is shown, would be more effective. . Unless you can find a way to arrange the mugs so that they don't look so awkward with the tops cut off. . There must be some way to execute your idea that would result in a dynamic composition. . I guess it would just take a lot more trial and error in order to find an arrangement that doesn't look awkward.

But back to your question, my answer is "no", it doesn't look like anything is actually missing from the scene ..... except the tops of the mugs.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,274 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 05, 2018 11:37 |  #40

ra40 wrote in post #18600560 (external link)
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​00560&i=i18052410

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=186​00560&i=i200781350

Here's one thought to consider. In the second one, it isn't clear what the main subject is. In the first one, after traveling around the scene, my gaze settles on the coffee--especially the cream design on top--because (1) the "flower" is the largest clearly defined light area, (2) it gets a rule-of-thirds placement, (3) the drink is the main attraction whereas the other items are accessories and aren't shown in full (they bleed off the edges), and (4) only the mug is in sharp focus. In the second one, where am I supposed to look first and last? None of the three containers is shown in full, and so on.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

ra40
449 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Apr 05, 2018 13:48 |  #41

Thanks. Appreciate your insights and thoughts on eye flow. One of my challenges was to do a small set and attempt to work in what I might have done from a pulled back shot. Figuring what could be cut in framing did create tension. Wanting to isolate the main subject and letting the secondary props go soft or cut in the frame.

The reflections on the glass in the second were difficult to work with. I also didn't like how there bright spots on the mug. Lighting that I struggled to get a fade that seemed "right". The secondary mug could be removed. I did one without and in that area, that worked better yet there were still areas of tension.

Will revist.

ra40
449 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by ra40.

Apr 07, 2018 23:59 |  #42

Amusing and also irritating situation with this one. Wife ordered 3 #'s of coffee to be delivered by USPS. We didn't have a tracking# so we figured it was delayed. 2 days pass and before calling the coffee shop, shows delivered to "alternate location". I go searching through the landscaping in the front and nada. Looking over the fence into the backyard there is a white box. He tossed it over the fence into a southward facing yard that has full sun exposure. There are temperature swings of about 25 degrees from night to noon and with the box being in full sun it got a bit more roasting. Plenty of oxidized beans over the two days camping. Was great for me because I was going to go buy some cheap coffee beans to use. ;) Was sad to see $45 in small batch roasted coffee have a horrible demise.

This was the first time a package delivered to the backyard. The supervisor at USPS was appalled the carrier threw it over the fence. He would get a good talking to about this delivery practice.

Tried the shot glass again and it brought more frustration. Would have to apply black tape to the bottom to reduce some of the light dispersion. Will be another experiment for another day. Went simple with this one.

HOSTED PHOTO

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 08, 2018 00:57 |  #43

I like simple :-)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,774 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by airfrogusmc.

Apr 10, 2018 08:13 |  #44

And the book is ALMOST finished. This is the final draft.(shameless plug ha ha) I does go well with coffee though.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/airfrogusmc/image/166730944.jpg

ra40
449 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by ra40.

Apr 10, 2018 15:14 |  #45

Went looking through past shots to see what few I've done in this theme. Suffice very lacking so this provides motivation as a project to pursue.

Will re-process the top one. Amusing how my eye for what I like now is different than how it was done 3 years ago.

Some drive digs:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

14,455 views & 123 likes for this thread
Coffee Anyone?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Food Photography & Visual Recipes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.