Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Apr 2018 (Monday) 12:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do I need to know about flying with photo equipment?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,176 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 11, 2018 09:52 |  #16

digital paradise wrote in post #18604570 (external link)
While I may seem little picky but I like to insure things go smoothly and prefer to draw as little attention as possible.

You would think a bright orange flamingo boarding a plane would attract some attention!

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links
Strontium
Durr?
7,113 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 11, 2018 10:01 |  #17

wunhang wrote in post #18603219 (external link)
... And as Capn Jack says, you will need to treat any electronics larger than a cellphone (like a dslr camera) as you do a laptop - in a bin without anything above/below it. Now, if you're flying internationally, they're likely to be worse in terms of "follow the rules" and may require all peripherals to come out too... I flew to India for a business trip and their screeners had me take out my laptop mouse, my ethernet cable, the laptop charger, my dslr, and all the various cables I had along with my laptop.

I guess it depends on airport, too. Flying out of St Louis, MO in December to Philippines all I had to do was remove my 5DIII. I placed it on top of my Domke bag and coat... Everything in the same bin. No one seemed to care about all of the peripherals in the bag. On the trip back, I only had to remove the 5DIII in Japan.

I am I

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,909 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2018 10:14 |  #18

Archibald wrote in post #18604579 (external link)
You would think a bright orange flamingo boarding a plane would attract some attention!

That would do it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

bpiper7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 11, 2018 12:45 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #19

thanks everyone. good informations.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

pbrimages
350 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 11, 2018 21:02 |  #20

Wilt wrote in post #18604367 (external link)
...because the female TSA agent was too embarrassed to cause you to have you bring your 'marital aid' into the open.

Yup, and judging by its diminutive size, she'd probably just roll her eyes at it anyway :rolleyes: :lol:

1DX, 1Ds MkIII IR (FSp), 1Ds MkII, 1Ds, 1D, 1V-HS, G1x II, 550D (Running ML), Elan 7e, 300D, WFT-E2A, WFT-E1A, 17-40 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS USM, 400 DO IS USM, 50 1.4, 50 1.8 Plastique Fantastique, and a host of other less-than-noteworthy detritus

lonerider519
557 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 12, 2018 01:26 |  #21

Just flew from Toronto to British Columbia and never once did they even open my camera bag and they only swabed the outside of the backpack twice.

Canon 7D Mark2 gripped,Canon 6D gripped, Canon 60d gripped,EF 70/200 F2.8 L IS 11 USM EF-100-400 F4-5.6L IS II EF 50 f1.8 ,EF 100 2.8 usm ,EFS18-135, EF 24-105 F4 L usm ,Tamron 70-300 SP 4_5.6 Sigma 150-500 , Manfrotto 190x prob with a Jobu jr.3 , Manfrotto 681b monopod. flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,909 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2018 07:20 |  #22

They don't care about bag sizes or weights. It is the airlines responsibility to monitor it. I've only once seen an airline ask a person to fit the bag in their test rack.

At the post Xray in Toronto flight (to get to the Portugal) she asked me to remove my 5D4 with 100-400 and hand it to her. She told me she does not like to take expense gear out by herself. She wanted to feel how much it weighed and the bag was swabbed as well. On top of that since both knee replacements 2 years ago I never get through the metal detector anymore. That adds to the fun. However since I never have anything to hide being relaxed about it all makes it smooth.

About 15 years ago my friend and I were launching Estes model rockets for his kids. I was handling the engines both pre and post launch and grabbing my camera to take shots. A week later we were flying and they swabbed my bag which was the first time I had ever seen that. That was the only time I ever had any angst going through security. :eek:

Image Editing OK

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Gallery: 796 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 12, 2018 09:18 |  #23

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18603515 (external link)
Is this really a thing now even on domestic flights?
They were just beginning to start this with international flights incoming from SOME countries last summer,. if I have to do this going to Newfoundland this summer, the line of plastic bins will be VERY long, :(

Yes, it started about 2 weeks ago for me. I'm on a business trip now and I have my work laptop, tablet computer, and my own iPad and DSLR. All needed to come out. Someone gave me a metal water bottle and I know that need to come out on the return since they will see a bottle, but can't tell whether it is full or empty.

Aside from the line of bins, it will be slow from people who rarely travel and aren't familiar with the new rules, so need to take the stuff out at the scanner.

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
1,750 posts
Gallery: 796 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 12, 2018 09:25 |  #24

digital paradise wrote in post #18604570 (external link)
To be sure check out TSA's carry on policies and try to stick with them. Most people don't follow them and you will probably get away with oversized/overweight bags for the rest of your life. However one day someone may decide to question yours and then they may say that has to be checked. That could happen the day before you go. The airline decides to clamp down on oversized bags and the memo goes out. Happened to me once. We had to put lenses in my wife's purse, my pockets and a plastic bag.

We flew to Portugal on TAP in February and the first time we have flown with that airline. Two bags per person and they had very low weight limit for the personal one. 2 Kilograms so my small back pack camera bag only had one lens in it. I had to put some gear in my wife's second larger carry roller on. My second larger backpack bag camera bag just just met size and weight specs.

Try to sit closer to the back of the plane. Not sure about TSA but many airlines load by zone now. If you get on sooner there is more overhead bin space. Getting on later I have been close a few times trying to find a spot. The airlines are pretty good. One time I said there is a lot of expensive gear in this bag and attendant did a great job to help me. You never know as I have seen videos of people getting dragged off planes and some pets recently died because of snarly attendants. One day the attendant you have to deal with wanted Fruit Loops for breakfast but their partner made them Korn Flakes so they are having a bad day.

While I may seem little picky but I like to insure things go smoothly and prefer to draw as little attention as possible.

People dragged off planes and pets dying is very much the exception. For the most part, the flight crews are very professional and I very rarely meet one who isn't.

I saw a reference to "TSA" carry-on policies. The TSA really doesn't care as long as it fits into their machine; I'm pretty sure you mean the "airline" policies.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,826 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 12, 2018 10:14 |  #25

digital paradise wrote in post #18605212 (external link)
They don't care about bag sizes or weights. It is the airlines responsibility to monitor it. I've only once seen an airline ask a person to fit the bag in their test rack.

I have only ONCE, ever, directly experienced being ask the put my carryon into the size test rack...Qantas flying Melbourne to Sydney. The bag body itself was small enough to fit...but the dang feet jutted out about 1cm too far to pass without lowering the bag at a very slight angle, and the anal compulsive gate agent failed the bag for size and made me check the bag at the gate.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,909 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2018 11:06 |  #26

Capn Jack wrote in post #18605260 (external link)
People dragged off planes and pets dying is very much the exception. For the most part, the flight crews are very professional and I very rarely meet one who isn't.

I saw a reference to "TSA" carry-on policies. The TSA really doesn't care as long as it fits into their machine; I'm pretty sure you mean the "airline" policies.

I realize that. Those were and I have never seen rude attendants. A little snarly once in a while. I was talking about an exception that anyone here will likely see. A day could come where the bins are jammed packed and the attendant just says take your seat and that bag is getting checked. Now what? Do you start to argue? Where would that go? I have seen bags that could not fit get checked several times.

Image Editing OK

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,176 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 12, 2018 12:44 |  #27

digital paradise wrote in post #18605341 (external link)
I realize that. Those were and I have never seen rude attendants. A little snarly once in a while. I was talking about an exception that anyone here will likely see. A day could come where the bins are jammed packed and the attendant just says take your seat and that bag is getting checked. Now what? Do you start to argue? Where would that go? I have seen bags that could not fit get checked several times.

Yeah, it is rare, but could happen. If the bins are full, the bag has to be checked. I believe United even has a rule that the carry-on bag must not go under the seat in front of you (the exact opposite of Air Canada's policy). So you can't offer to just stuff the bag under the seat.

Those checked bags are often put on an inclined conveyor that goes up to a hatch at the back of the plane. The conveyors I have seen don't have side rails. But the thing jiggles. And I have seen bags fall off near the top. Ouch!, especially if your 500/4 was in that bag.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,296 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 12, 2018 17:11 |  #28

Some tips at https://improvephotogr​aphy.com …a-security-with-a-camera/ (external link) written in late 2017 so fairly current. One thing I see not mentioned above is a tripod with spikes. Best remove the spikes and pack them in checked baggage.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,909 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2018 21:55 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #29

I have carried a tripod bag on but now that as you say get's checked.

Image Editing OK

Dmab
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 18, 2018 13:08 |  #30

So revisiting this topic, if I'm traveling domestically with 2 bodies and 2 lenses, all 4 items should be taken out and placed in a bin?

Dan
=======
Gear List

sponsored links

7,768 views & 17 likes for this thread
What do I need to know about flying with photo equipment?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.