Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 12 Apr 2018 (Thursday) 04:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ignore

Gungnir
691 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 12, 2018 04:05 |  #1

Those of us without failing vision now get to see posts we chose to ignore. Like the forum saying 'you don't really want to ignore him/her, you're just joking...'

Bizarre.

Steve
'Be the person your dog thinks you are'
#freetommy

sponsored links
monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,120 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 12, 2018 05:43 |  #2

I don't follow you ??

What I see is the 'Name' and under that 'is in your ignore list' when looking at posts. Where are you looking ?

My only complaint would be that if I have ignored that person it would be nice if any and all topics created by that person never even showed up... but they do unfortunately.

Gungnir
THREAD ­ STARTER
691 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited 10 months ago by Gungnir. (2 edits in all)

Apr 12, 2018 05:50 as a reply to  @ monty28428's post |  #3

Before the forum software update posts from those on ignore list didn't show, just the user name and 'you chose to ignore this blah blah blah'.

Now it shows the message but significantly dimmed. It's still readable.

Steve
#freetommy

Gungnir
THREAD ­ STARTER
691 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Post edited 10 months ago by Gungnir. (2 edits in all)

Apr 12, 2018 05:53 |  #4

Just as an example. Not ignoring you he he

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Steve
#freetommy

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
10,120 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 12, 2018 06:23 |  #5

That's what I said..

Wait...

I get it now -- I can barely make out my text - but indeed it's there!

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 10 months ago by Picture North Carolina with reason 'Changed MP to No. Strange. It was not that way on first edit.'. (3 edits in all)

Apr 12, 2018 06:30 |  #6

Gungnir wrote in post #18605169 (external link)
Before the forum software update posts from those on ignore list didn't show, just the user name and 'you chose to ignore this blah blah blah'.

Now it shows the message but significantly dimmed. It's still readable.

If this is accurate, then I agree with the OP. I have not experienced this because when a post shows up by somebody on my ignore list, i... well... ignore it.

I have always taken deference to the way it has always worked. My preference would be that those who are ignored don't show up at all. No avatar. no nothing.

But if that was updated to now show their post, albeit faded back, that is a huge step backwards.

I find this a step into the political correctness and thought police arena going on all around us.

It's as if to say "Hey you ignored this person but you know what? I'm going to partially show you their post anyway because you are wrong in ignoring them and this is the way you should think.

Bull shirt. If I want to ignore somebody, I want to ignore them. Period. End of sentence. And NOBODY is going to correct me or tell me how to think.

Edit: good catch, Steve. In general, I am amazed at the job Pekka has done with this app. Having programmed for decades, I know how complex it is and how hard it was to code. However, this is also a good testimony that all updates don't necessarily move forward. Some features can move backward. And that is apparently what happened to the Ignore feature.

Website (external link) |

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 12, 2018 06:39 |  #7

Kind of surprising to me that anyone would even use an ignore list.

Clearly it's just me but I don't think I've ever encountered anyone on this forum that is so offensive that it would cause me to put them on some kind of list.

But......I guess we all deal with things the way we do.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Gungnir
THREAD ­ STARTER
691 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Apr 12, 2018 06:45 |  #8

Ironic that someone on my list replied. It's not about offence, it's just clashes of personality life is too short to be bothered with on a photography forum.

See... I can still read them without clicking 'peek'.

Steve
#freetommy

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,330 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 10 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Apr 12, 2018 07:06 |  #9

saea501 wrote in post #18605192 (external link)

Clearly it's just me but I don't think I've ever encountered anyone on this forum that is so offensive that it would cause me to put them on some kind of list.

But......I guess we all deal with things the way we do.

I use ignore as a "time out". There are times I just get tired of the endless repetitive chatter from some individuals about how "blah is better" or "this model sucks no matter how many examples you show me to the contrary", etc. Usually I have 2-3 people in that list, and after a week or so after they have lost interest in posting incessant material, they come off the list.

I don't mind the peek function, don't care for the grayed out "fix", but in the end it never matters because somebody invariably quotes that person, and I see their quote anyways in someone else's reply.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 12, 2018 07:18 |  #10

Gungnir wrote in post #18605197 (external link)
Ironic that someone on my list replied. It's not about offence, it's just clashes of personality life is too short to be bothered with on a photography forum.

See... I can still read them without clicking 'peek'.

Yea, it is......especially considering the fact that I've never even heard of you.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,871 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 12, 2018 07:19 |  #11

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18605187 (external link)
I have always taken deference to the way it has always worked. My preference would be that those who are ignored don't show up at all. Mp avatar. no nothing.

Yes, that’s my thought exactly. I have only one person blacklisted for off-forum reasons and I hate having him pop-up everywhere.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 10 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Apr 12, 2018 09:29 |  #12

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18605204 (external link)
but in the end it never matters because somebody invariably quotes that person, and I see their quote anyways in someone else's reply.

Yep, agree. Even with the old ignore this was always a problem. An oversight? Don't know. But in the end, any ignore feature is non-operational if the person you are ignoring can be easily read in somebody else's post. A huge programming problem for Pekka? Yep - what to do? Honor the initial ignore then also ignore anybody who quotes the ignored person? A huge problem. Could easily spiral out of control.

Which is why the old, best, trusted way of ignoring works best - and what I do. While reading a thread, if I see the avatar of the person being ignored, I stop there. The thread is gone, never read again, unsubscribed from, and in essence, does not exist. Easy peasy. Probably not what Pekka wants - less engagement. But if the electronic ignore does not work, my eyes can. And do.

Ultimately, the control rests with us. We can all choose what to read and what to ignore.

...and what not to follow. Like tilting at windmills. Who has the time? Who wants to waste the time? Not me.

Website (external link) |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,330 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined May 2002

Apr 12, 2018 10:08 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #13

I just try to scroll past their post quickly as to not read it, but then like a cat, curiosity always "kills me".

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,840 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 12, 2018 10:28 |  #14

saea501 wrote in post #18605192 (external link)

Clearly it's just me but I don't think I've ever encountered anyone on this forum that is so offensive . . .

My ignore list consists of two or three who aren't offensive, they just post images that don't interest me–always the same kinds of images, and all too much alike. Suppressing their photos lets me go more quickly to photos I want to see in the same threads.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,069 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 12, 2018 11:37 |  #15

Is there any way I can tell if I'm being ignored by others?

I checked FYEO but don't see it.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links

2,217 views & 23 likes for this thread
Ignore
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.