Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

arthurbikemad
104 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Apr 11, 2018 02:22 |  #4351

I maybe wrong in posting this but: I use the front dial for exposure compensation, mine is configured in that I hold the SET button and turn the front dial to change EV.

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by apersson850.

Apr 11, 2018 03:04 |  #4352

Yes, you can set the camera to do that too. But it requires pressing a button at the same time as you roll the dial.
You can also, sometimes, use the +/- button on top of the camera to make the front dial do exposure compensation. But the labelling of the button is actually somewhat misleading. What the button really does is copy whatever is controlled with the rear dial to the front dial.

Thus the marking at that button is only correct when the camera is in a "normal" setup, i.e. where the rear dial is used for exposure compensation and the camera is in one of the modes P, Tv or Av. Already in M mode it gets awry. If you set your camera to control the aperture with the front dial and the time with the rear dial in M mode, then pressing the +/- button and rotating the front dial does not apply any exposure compensation. Instead, you accomplish that the front and rear dials both control the time, but no dial is available to set the aperture.

A common setup is to use the rear dial to set the exposure compensation in automatic modes, then assign the SET button (while held) to allow ISO setup with the front dial. You then get access to the main parameter (aperture or time) on the front dial, exposure compensation on the rear one and, when holding SET and rotating the front dial simultaneously, you change ISO while the resulting exposure data is updated live in the viewfinder. You can easily see how far you need to roll the ISO to reach an acceptable exposure time, without taking your eye away from the viewfinder.

Anders

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 11, 2018 08:44 |  #4353

apersson850 wrote in post #18604386 (external link)
Well, you called it "the large dial" in some of the posts above, and specifically the "large rear dial" in one of them. Thus I assume you mean the dial beside the display on the rear, the one Canon calls "quick dial", since while looking at it, it's much larger than the small part you can see of the dial behind the shutter button. That's the one Canon refers to as the "main dial".

But if you actually mean the front dial, just behind the shutter button, then I rest my case. There's no programming which will make that an ISO dial nor any exposure compensation dial, unless you first press the ISO or +/- buttons on top, respectively.

If you want to, and I was not confused about which dial you referred to, you can try this, on your now well behaving 1DX Mark II.

1. Press MENU.
  2. Go to Custom functions group.
  3. Roll to the C.Fn6 page.
  4. Select the fifth item from top.
  5. Select the fifth item from top in the right column.
  6. Select the sixth setting (just before OFF).
  7. Press SET.
Half-press the shutter button and then use the +/- and ISO buttons on top, as well as the dial on the rear, and check if the camera now behaves as the faulty one.

Sorry I didn't notice your first call for help here. These "model XYZ owners" threads are so full of pictures, that all questions about the camera itself disappears in noise. I recommend starting a separate thread for actual issues, since wading through the posts here to notice such questions isn't too efficient.

Yeah... I meant, the large dial in the real, in the middle of which is the set button. In normal operation, in AV mode, this large wheel, dial changed EC. It's that way on every Canon body I've used. My first 1D X2 had that quick dial, large rear dial.. whatever.. controlling the ISO. In the custom functions, I couldn't find a way to make this happen... so I couldn't undo it. Now, perhaps you are right.... somehow, someone was playing around with the camera before I purchased it and a simple factory reset would have returned things to normal.

My question to you still remains... can you get your 1D X2 to do the same... set up in AV mode, get that large rear dial, quick dial... to be control ISO without pushing or holding another button? I couldn't find a way to do that. That's why the Canon guy and I thought something must be amiss... we were reading through the manual together.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 11, 2018 08:47 |  #4354

apersson850 wrote in post #18604403 (external link)
Yes, you can set the camera to do that too. But it requires pressing a button at the same time as you roll the dial.
You can also, sometimes, use the +/- button on top of the camera to make the front dial do exposure compensation. But the labelling of the button is actually somewhat misleading. What the button really does is copy whatever is controlled with the rear dial to the front dial.

Thus the marking at that button is only correct when the camera is in a "normal" setup, i.e. where the rear dial is used for exposure compensation and the camera is in one of the modes P, Tv or Av. Already in M mode it gets awry. If you set your camera to control the aperture with the front dial and the time with the rear dial in M mode, then pressing the +/- button and rotating the front dial does not apply any exposure compensation. Instead, you accomplish that the front and rear dials both control the time, but no dial is available to set the aperture.

A common setup is to use the rear dial to set the exposure compensation in automatic modes, then assign the SET button (while held) to allow ISO setup with the front dial. You then get access to the main parameter (aperture or time) on the front dial, exposure compensation on the rear one and, when holding SET and rotating the front dial simultaneously, you change ISO while the resulting exposure data is updated live in the viewfinder. You can easily see how far you need to roll the ISO to reach an acceptable exposure time, without taking your eye away from the viewfinder.

You are sort of making my point.... you can't get the large rear wheel, quick wheel etc... to change the ISO while in AV mode. It isn't an option... not without holding some other button. There ways was to change things around. I know... but there is no way to get your camera to do what my first 1D X2 was doing. When my second camera showed up, everything functions just as it should. I set it up for BBF in a few seconds, etc.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by apersson850. (2 edits in all)

Apr 11, 2018 09:11 |  #4355

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18604523 (external link)
My question to you still remains... can you get your 1D X2 to do the same... set up in AV mode, get that large rear dial, quick dial... to be control ISO without pushing or holding another button? I couldn't find a way to do that.

If that question remains, then you didn't try my numbered list above. Do all seven listed items and you'll see. Just a warning! It will "ruin" your new 1DX Mark II into being exactly like your first one... :-) Fortunately you can set it back again, something you could have done with your first camera too.

Anders

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 11, 2018 12:13 |  #4356

apersson850 wrote in post #18604544 (external link)
If that question remains, then you didn't try my numbered list above. Do all seven listed items and you'll see. Just a warning! It will "ruin" your new 1DX Mark II into being exactly like your first one... :-) Fortunately you can set it back again, something you could have done with your first camera too.

Perhaps you are correct. I had set everything back to "default" when I had the first camera... but I might have screwed something else up. The only buttons I reassign are the ones for bbf... but I probably did something wrong.

I guess someone will get a great deal on a perfect "refurbished camera" then.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by apersson850.

Apr 11, 2018 16:44 |  #4357

Did you try my recipe? Did you get the same effect? Did you notice that they make the rear dial set ISO directly?

In spite of these cameras being unnecessarily limited in their custiomization capabilities, you can still set quite a lot of things.

The 1DX Mark II has an information screen, where you can pick whichever elements you like from a pool, and arrange them as you like. Why don't they have a pool of functions, which you can assign to whichever button you like? Why can't I stop down the lens with the AF selection button, if that's what I like?

By the way, you should also notice that resetting the camera to its default settings will not reset the custom functions. Resetting them is done with a separate command.

Due to an accident, I had parts of my 1DX replaced by a workshop to make the camera operational again. The camera was back to default settings, or so I thought. After closer inspection I found all custom functions to be saved in the camera.

Anders

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,837 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 12, 2018 00:50 |  #4358

apersson850 wrote in post #18604825 (external link)
Did you try my recipe? Did you get the same effect? Did you notice that they make the rear dial set ISO directly?

In spite of these cameras being unnecessarily limited in their custiomization capabilities, you can still set quite a lot of things.

The 1DX Mark II has an information screen, where you can pick whichever elements you like from a pool, and arrange them as you like. Why don't they have a pool of functions, which you can assign to whichever button you like? Why can't I stop down the lens with the AF selection button, if that's what I like?

By the way, you should also notice that resetting the camera to its default settings will not reset the custom functions. Resetting them is done with a separate command.

Due to an accident, I had parts of my 1DX replaced by a workshop to make the camera operational again. The camera was back to default settings, or so I thought. After closer inspection I found all custom functions to be saved in the camera.

Anders,

Thank you for your patient help. I took some time and was able to figure out exactly what you were saying. I changed the quick dial to ISO just as you suggested.. to make sure we were talking about the same think and we were. I then changed it back to "TV" which gave me EC in the AV mode. I really thought I'd gone through all the options but I sure missed that one.

So thanks again for your kind, patient instruction.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 12, 2018 02:29 |  #4359

Perfect. Then you now know exactly what happened. When it's set as you like it, the rear dial will act as EC in P, Tv and Av modes, but will instead control the time in M mode.

If you press the +/- key on top, you'll also notice that whatever function is assigned to the rear dial will now work on the front dial, as long as the selection is active.

Anders

Dankata
Cream of the Crop
5,167 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 12, 2018 15:05 |  #4360

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/877/41373695402_7f073ee51f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2634​1cU  (external link) Kitzia (external link) by Daniel Stoychev (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/878/41401146571_349fab92d6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/265t​GtV  (external link) Marsany (external link) by Daniel Stoychev (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/881/41401147911_a34a12f204_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/265t​GT2  (external link) Karla (external link) by Daniel Stoychev (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/798/41358402452_250ac4ca5a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/261G​C9m  (external link) Paulina (external link) by Daniel Stoychev (external link), on Flickr

-Daniel-
1DXII | 5DIII | 135L | Sigma 35 | 24-70L |17-40L | Sigma 150-600C | 600EX-RT
T1i |85 1.8 | 18-55 | Sigma 10mm f/2.8 Fish Eye | Yongnuo YN-622C| Raynox DCR-250
Facebook (external link) Flickr  (external link)500px (external link)

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 12, 2018 16:26 |  #4361

Dankata, many of your posts make me want to consider the 1DXII. Currently I mostly use 5D series bodies, but prefer keeping the weight lower.

Thanks for posting, I enjoy looking at your images.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Scott_online
381 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 12, 2018 17:09 |  #4362

Had a bit more luck with the bears this year. (There are a few more in the Wildlife forum if anyone is interested).

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/817/27546573998_316d86da61_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HYco​K1  (external link) 2018-04-02 05-05-10 (external link) by Scott Grubb (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

Justinsmnz
Goldmember
1,090 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 12, 2018 18:04 |  #4363

Scott_online wrote in post #18605567 (external link)
Had a bit more luck with the bears this year. (There are a few more in the Wildlife forum if anyone is interested).

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HYco​K1  (external link) 2018-04-02 05-05-10 (external link) by Scott Grubb (external link), on Flickr

Absolutely incredible!

flickr (external link)

robinlee
59 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 14, 2018 03:06 |  #4364

Scott_online wrote in post #18605567 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice, is this in Svalbard or Canada?

Scott_online
381 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2018 04:03 |  #4365

robinlee wrote in post #18606535 (external link)
Very nice, is this in Svalbard or Canada?

Thanks. It's from Svalbard.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,862,677 views & 15,324 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.