Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Mar 2018 (Saturday) 10:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How can Kenro justify this price.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 3 months ago by Colin Glover.

Mar 24, 2018 10:37 |  #1

On the back of this month's Practical Photography magazine is an advert for the new Kenro KFK 201 ring flash. It boasts, under £140. https://www.amazon.co.​uk …ID=51g3-cAtzGL&ref=plSrch (external link)
Looking for an inexpensive re branded macro flash, I searched for Neewer TTL ring flash, as my Neewer speedlite is a rebadged Godox Think Tank 680 (NW680 or 685 both same unit as Godox, even manuals are identical). So I found this: https://www.amazon.co.​uk …ID=516O1JJEqeL&​ref=plSrch (external link)
It's the same unit rebadged as Neewer. Look at the photos of both, especially the back which shows button placement and display. They're identical apart from the name....... Oh, and the price. £139.00 for the Kenro, and £48.00 less a penny for the Neewer. How can Kenro justify charging more than 3 times the price for what is the same item? A lot of Neewer items are cheap versions, but most flashguns are good kit, with Kenro (the Dual Can/Nik fit ones) Godox and Youngnuo models also rebadged. Some decent l-ion Godox models are also sold as Neewer. Neewer Octoboxes are Godox too.
My flash cost £42.00, the Godox version £59.00. Bearing that in mind, you'd say if the Neewer is £48.00, then you'd expect £70-80.00 to be fair for the Kenro ring flash, not £139.00 What do you say? Are Kenro ripping consumers off?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Mar 24, 2018 10:52 |  #2

Different strokes, and all that. I don't see why anyone would go 3rd party when the MR-14EX is available for about $200. I tried the YN version once. It worked fine right out of the box. Next day it was dead. I stick to Canon when I can.

Tom

Alveric
Goldmember
4,447 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 24, 2018 15:04 |  #3

Was VW ripping customers off because the Golf was priced higher than the Yugo?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,196 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 25, 2018 21:36 |  #4

You might contact Kenro support and ask them about the Neewer.

It's possible that even with identical appearances the more costly unit has some higher quality internals parts. Or it may be an attempt to maintain both luxury and discount lines.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,295 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by kf095.

Mar 26, 2018 13:04 |  #5

Godox and Neewer are recent gear manufactures based in China.
Kenro is half of the century old UK based company supplying photo albums, frames, accessories under their name.

After reading this where should be no questions or busting in flames as OP did. :-)

If still confused, check how much made in China labeled as Kodak film scanner costs. Or Leica instant film camera made by FujiFilm.
Or even Dodge Caravan under VW logo.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

drmaxx
935 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 26, 2018 13:13 |  #6

Why does anybody think that price of an item has anything to do with the production costs? Companies try to charge as much as they can to optimise their profits. This is how our system works. As long as you have a choice there is nothing wrong with Kenro trying to charge their customers a premium. If you don't like it - let your wallet talk.

Donate if you love POTN

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,968 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 27, 2018 23:40 |  #7

"Never judge a book by it's cover"

Just because they look the same on the outside it doesn't mean they are the same on the inside. Some years ago someone did a break down of several flash units and listed in detail the different materials/internals used. Not surprisingly the cheaper ones did use lower quality materials and systems.

Also you are probably going to get better service from a brand name company than from a knock of Chinese clone manufacturer.

Of course that doesn't mean don't buy the cheaper option. If I was a highly paid pro who needed their flash to fire all the time, every time for years, I would buy a bunch of $600 canon flashes. Given that I am not I buy twice as many knock off flashes knowing that they will fail sooner but I will still get my project done, if with a little more hassle.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 04, 2018 05:26 |  #8

So, then, take my Neewer NW685. Same exterior as Godox TT680, same specs, identical manual, only differences are name and price. Is Dan saying they're different inside?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,065 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 04, 2018 16:53 |  #9

Colin Glover wrote in post #18599909 (external link)
So, then, take my Neewer NW685. Same exterior as Godox TT680, same specs, identical manual, only differences are name and price. Is Dan saying they're different inside?

I am also wondering if what Dan said means that your Neewer is the same as the Godox.

Statements that are made as generalizations sometimes seem rational, but when we get down to specific, individual comparisons, sometimes those generalizations fall apart because they simply are not true in many/most situations. . I would love to see some actual model to model comparisons to see this theory substantiated with models that have the same exterior and the exact same specifications.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Colin ­ Glover
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,274 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 04, 2018 17:47 |  #10

Several people on here have commented that a lot of Neewer's are rebadged Godox guns, and doing my research I found several Neewer guns identical to Godox units.As I said, my Neewer manual is exactly the same as the Godox, except in name, which surely indicates the same product. So I'll try and download both manuals to see if there is anything to prove otherwise. The point I'm still making, is that if they are the same, then why such a huge price difference?

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
4,968 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Apr 04, 2018 22:20 |  #11

Colin Glover wrote in post #18600324 (external link)
The point I'm still making, is that if they are the same, then why such a huge price difference?

Without taking them apart and checking no one can tell you the actual reason. It might just be that they believe people will pay more for their brand. After all, why are Heinz Baked Beans more expensive than Supermarket Own Brand - when they are both made in the same factory.

Could be simple business economics...
Godox price = [cost to build] + [$X profit] and Neewer need to pay Godox their cost and profit and then add on their own profit to make money.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DBNissan
958 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 05, 2018 01:04 |  #12

The price difference isn't in the actual product. It's in the marketing and advertising. As far as we know, Neewer could be the actual manufacturer or is the main company purchasing the largest bulk quantities from the manufacturer. Godox, is simply taking the same product, paying to have it labeled, then advertising said product. Thereby incurring a greater cost that in turn gets passed on to us consumers to maintain their profit margin

~Dan 6D | 80D | 50D | S120 | 24-105 f/4L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 STM | 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 8mm f/3.5 | Tamron 18-270mm VC | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Tamron C-AF BBAR MC7 2xTC | 580EXII | 430EXII | YN-500EX | YN-622C | Flashpoint RoveLight 600 | Sony a6500 | 18-105mm f/4 G | Sigma MC-11 | Godox TT685S | Godox X1T-S
www.DBNphotography.com (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,717 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 14, 2018 12:35 |  #13

It's also quite possible that all Neewer has done is a straight knock off of the Godox, and as such have virtually no development costs to recoup. It is also possible that even if both items are built in the same factory, using the same circuit designs, that they are not built to the same standard. It may well be that the Godox branded products are specified to be built with certain brand name components, or components with higher tolerances, which generally do cost more in production.

Also buy the Godox from a UK retailer, via Kenro and you get the full backup of Kenro. Buy a Neewer or other product direct from China and goodluck if anything goes wrong

I have had dealings with several different companies doing production in China. all of these things become issues. Blatant copying of products, and making those knockoffs with counterfeit components. They will even just screw a customer over if the manufacturer think they can save a buck. I know of one case where a factory changed out the specified brass adjustment gears etc in some optics for cheaper nylon ones. This was only discovered by the customer when the shipment arrived in the UK. This meant that the whole container shipment was essentially junk as far as the customer was concerned. Once out of the factory the manufacturer pretty much denied all responsibility for it.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 18, 2018 14:22 |  #14

Also remember to factor in things like support and availability into a value consideration:
- If I contact the company with an issue, can I expect a reply that I can readily understand, in a timely fashion, and that actually is likely to help resolve the issue? (I've dealt with some amazing products from a German firm, who mainly target companies in Germany, but their Canadian(English) support services were not nearly up to par with their price.)
- If I need a replacement or extras, am I able to get new ones that day, sometime in the same week, or am I waiting a month or more?

I can't personally say one way or the other as to the value of the products in question, but there are far more things to consider when buying something than what design and factory something comes out of. Even when coming out of the same factory with the same production lines used, it is not uncommon for multi-branded designs to use variant parts, or different QA standards.

A friend's company ordered some custom branded toys in bulk recently, and it was kind of cool to sit down with them and go through the configuration options. Besides the 'branding plate', a custom modified version of the top shell of the toy, they could also select a few different internal boards, and those had various options on what chips/capacitors/etc the boards were populated with. You could shave fractions of a penny off each toy by choosing the lower grade capacitors for example. And beyond that they could choose a quality assurance testing standard that ranged from multiple inspection points on each and every unit rolling off the line, through random spot checks, all the way down to basically "If you spot something weird looking on the line, just toss it in the bin, but otherwise assume they're all fine". They even had an option where they would reuse any 'functional rejects' out of a higher status QA pass from another customer.

But personally I find a lot of the top tier flash gear these days to not really be worth the expense compared to the mid grade items. I rather have more units on hand for the same price point rather than assuming the higher cost units are going to 'always work' - Swapping a flash out to replace a malfunction is a more sensible work flow in my mind than stopping a shoot entirely/changing the lighting design while waiting for service/replacement to arrive. - If the unit's specs and abilities meet my needs, and user reviews are reasonably good, then I'll be as happy with more lights on hand.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

1,645 views & 5 likes for this thread
How can Kenro justify this price.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.