Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 21 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
7,718 posts
Gallery: 332 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 13, 2018 10:23 |  #8881

jcothron wrote in post #18606023 (external link)
A lot of things move, people, vehicles, etc. thing is I love nature photography. In that genre clouds and water dominate when using strong nd filters. I suspect that is why you predominantly see that here...most of the people posting in this thread are nature landscape photographers. If the poster works in other areas I would love to see examples of his personal application of these filters.

The catch here is the 9/10 stop filter. People and vehicles would be virtually invisible.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links
jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 13, 2018 10:44 |  #8882

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #18606068 (external link)
The catch here is the 9/10 stop filter. People and vehicles would be virtually invisible.

I know :) Unless you are shooting in the middle of the day.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,316 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 3 months ago by CameraMan.

Apr 13, 2018 11:16 |  #8883

I agree, there really isn't much to shoot with a 9-10 stop filter of there's nothing moving. And if something is moving slow enough youight catch it with a ND filter. That being said, I think water and clouds are the best options. The photo I took in Atlanta was quite dangerous but unexpectedly turned out pretty cool looking. Would I do that again? Maybe from a rooftop but not on the side of the interstate.

Edit: that was actually taken from a bridge but o got asked to leave by a police officer because it was still a little dangerous.

I did take one shot on the side of the road that was a little scary.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

photosbytw
Goldmember
1,264 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 13, 2018 14:19 |  #8884

Sheesh..............I was waiting for an obvious response............9/​10 stop ND filter and...............

hint- it starts with a "S"

Don't even begin to think I'm criticizing your images.
Just a natural curiosity.
tw
www.photosbytw.net

yeamans17
564 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Apr 13, 2018 21:12 |  #8885

Not entirely sure how I feel about this one still. Went for a hike yesterday morning and to avoid a family who was being loud I took a path along the other side of the pond. This rock was sticking out of the water caught my eye and it looked good at the time.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/872/27569881248_ea01b9dae3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/J1fR​b9  (external link) 3U1A8711 (external link) by Zach Yeamans (external link), on Flickr

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
7,718 posts
Gallery: 332 photos
Joined Sep 2012

Apr 14, 2018 20:06 |  #8886

Its been a long time since Ive posted a photo. smh.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,842 posts
Gallery: 284 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2018 05:20 |  #8887

sorry...more water and clouds...

8 Stops, the 2 and 6 Firecrest stacked, 20 second base file, Smooth Reflections App to stack 16.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/892/39684521880_8b297b972f_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23sM​xLu  (external link) Pastel Painted Sky (external link) by Travis Rhoads (external link), on Flickr

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,039 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 16, 2018 05:49 |  #8888

TRhoads wrote in post #18607722 (external link)

8 Stops, the 2 and 6 Firecrest stacked, 20 second base file, Smooth Reflections App to stack 16.
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/23sM​xLu  (external link) Pastel Painted Sky (external link) by Travis Rhoads (external link), on Flickr

Absolutely love it, but wondering if an off centre crop might be interesting to see. I mean take some of th right hand side off .... just a thought

Canon EOS 70D: added a Canon M5: A mixture of Canon, Sigma, Tamron and Tokina prime and zoom lenses, a Samyang fisheye, and just for fun a couple of Helios 44-2 58m..
Rose
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rose_mcgillicud​dy/ (external link)
"Dance among the moonbeams, feel the magic in the air."

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
6,856 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 16, 2018 06:00 |  #8889

TRhoads wrote in post #18607722 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Great mood.

junglialoh
868 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2016

Apr 16, 2018 06:39 as a reply to  @ TRhoads's post |  #8890

Gorgeous image in simplicity and beauty

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,842 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2018 07:51 |  #8891

roseyposey wrote in post #18607730 (external link)
Absolutely love it, but wondering if an off centre crop might be interesting to see. I mean take some of th right hand side off .... just a thought

Thanks. It is a slight bit off center now, the little tiny tree was centered. I might look at taking some off the left, but I like the open negative space to the right.

Sibil wrote in post #18607731 (external link)
Great mood.

Thanks!

junglialoh wrote in post #18607746 (external link)
Gorgeous image in simplicity and beauty

Thank you!

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 16, 2018 18:50 as a reply to  @ TRhoads's post |  #8892

I'm with RoseyPosey. I think the natural crop is to the right, given the shape/dynamic of the trees. I don't think a contrarian approach is going to work well here. Tension is all well and good from time to time ... but not this time.

But it's a great shot ... it's nice to be able to argue the finer points about how best to crop it.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,842 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2018 19:09 |  #8893

DaviSto wrote in post #18608176 (external link)
I'm with RoseyPosey. I think the natural crop is to the right, given the shape/dynamic of the trees. I don't think a contrarian approach is going to work well here. Tension is all well and good from time to time ... but not this time.

But it's a great shot ... it's nice to be able to argue the finer points about how best to crop it.

I don't see how croppling the right makes it more off center, that would center it more...

I am fully open to the discussion of it...not agreeing isn't really contrarian, still willing to discuss it though.

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 16, 2018 19:32 |  #8894

Travis its a beautiful image just like it is. If that is/was your vision of it I'd say leave it alone. I think it could work with a squarish more centered crop, but I think it could also work cropping more from the left as you suggested. Any one of us could approach it differently, and even differently on a given day. It looks great though, just like it is.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
5,842 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2018 19:43 |  #8895

jcothron wrote in post #18608203 (external link)
Travis its a beautiful image just like it is. If that is/was your vision of it I'd say leave it alone. I think it could work with a squarish more centered crop, but I think it could also work cropping more from the left as you suggested. Any one of us could approach it differently, and even differently on a given day. It looks great though, just like it is.

Thanks John. I always feel like if you defend your vision, people that are not familiar with how crits work, think you are just being defensive...or as it was stated, contrarian...even when that is not the case.

I saw it this way, I didn't want any more space to the left, and couldn't TBH, more left included means the shore line. More right means more trees, moving left means the huge power station oof in the distance shows up, and ruins the shot, or makes me spend a lot of time cloning it out...so, a bit of space on the left to anchor that side, and a little more space on the right, leading to the open water that is to the right...

But...much like art skool, we were often asked to show the options that were discussed in crit...not only for ourselves to show that we worked through it, but also to show that maybe the original was in fact just fine as is...

So, v2...cropped from the right, same space left and right of the trees. the left trunk of the front tree is dead center in the frame. maintaining the 2x3 ratio...

HOSTED PHOTO

v3...same as above, but a 5x7 crop...I hate 5x7 crops...but the 2x3 crop losing the right meant losing either the bottom of the tree reflection, or the sky...and well, I am not cropping the sky off...

HOSTED PHOTO

I still prefer the original...the crops lose that nice patch of blue sky top right, and overall, it just feels centered, too centered...but its just my opinion, on my image, not right, not wrong...just my opinion...

sponsored links

2,132,771 views & 7,185 likes for this thread
Post your 9 or 10 stop ND photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.