Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Apr 2018 (Wednesday) 16:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Got to love Craigslist

inwardphoto
149 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2018 16:18 |  #1

Just scanning the for sale section on CL and there is someone claiming to have a Canon 5d MkIV with kit lens, never used for $800.00. I wonder how many responses they get and what the con is. I'm tempted to set up a Burn Phone and fake email account just to see.

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 18, 2018 16:21 |  #2

inwardphoto wrote in post #18609244 (external link)
Just scanning the for sale section on CL and there is someone claiming to have a Canon 5d MkIV with kit lens, never used for $800.00. I wonder how many responses they get and what the con is. I'm tempted to set up a Burn Phone and fake email account just to see.

Give me a link and I'll contact them. . I've no need for a "burn phone", whatever that is. . I'd just call 'em from my cell or email them from my main email account.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 18, 2018 16:26 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #3

Burn phone is one that you can throw away. There are now apps for you smartphone where you can set up a tempory phone number so when the scammers start to spam you, you can just "Burn" the number.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 18, 2018 17:21 |  #4

inwardphoto wrote in post #18609250 (external link)
Burn phone is one that you can throw away. There are now apps for you smartphone where you can set up a tempory phone number so when the scammers start to spam you, you can just "Burn" the number.

I see. But I am not concerned about getting spammed.

My phone number and email address are out there for all the world to see, and it has never resulted in any trouble for me.

If you give me a link to that Craigslist ad I will contact the 'seller' and find out what the angle is, then report back here to let y'all know.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

jm4ever
831 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 18, 2018 17:32 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #5

Looks like this maybe the one he saw.

https://littlerock.cra​igslist.org …mm-ii-usm/6562398237.html (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 18, 2018 18:18 |  #6

jm4ever wrote in post #18609277 (external link)
Looks like this maybe the one he saw.

https://littlerock.cra​igslist.org …mm-ii-usm/6562398237.html (external link)

Thank you.

I just texted the guy/gal. . I'll let y'all know when I get a response.

inwardphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 19, 2018 01:50 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7

They haven't responded back. I did a search and there have been a number of these posts.

sjnovakovich
156 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 19, 2018 18:18 |  #8

I'm thinking that it maybe "fell" off the back of a truck.

Steve Novakovich
www.SteveNovakovich.co​m (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,344 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 19, 2018 18:42 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18609296 (external link)
Thank you.

I just texted the guy/gal. . I'll let y'all know when I get a response.

This is a common craigslist scam.

I'm not sure of the details but you would be well served to stop screwing around with it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2018 18:43 |  #10

inwardphoto wrote in post #18609466 (external link)
They haven't responded back. I did a search and there have been a number of these posts.

I got a rather quick response. They texted me this morning, asking for my email address. The exact wording of the text I got is:

Text me your email and my mother will text u there more info for canon camera.Thanks

So then when I got home from work a few minutes ago, I found the email that his "mother" sent, which reads:

Hi,
The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm II USM it's new, zero shutter count. Comes with all original accessories and original packaging. Im selling it because i dont want to miss a great iMac deal offer for my new job.

The price is firm, $800 shipping included. Now I'm in Great Falls, MT with my job. I also have the camera listed on eBay because I don't have time to meet with you. eBay manages all the financial details for me. If you are still interested I'll send you the eBay link and you can buy it from there.

Natalie

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2018 18:50 |  #11

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18609924 (external link)
This is a common craigslist scam.

I'm not sure of the details but you would be well served to stop screwing around with it.

Oh, it's ok. . I screw around with EVERYTHING!

For years and years, when I see obvious scams, I respond to the scammers to mess around with them. . It's often pretty fun! I don't see what harm can come of it. . After messing with hundreds of scammers, nothing bad has ever happened to me.

I mean, what can they do? . Call me at 3am just to wake me up? . My job already does that, so I can handle it. . Send me an infected file? . With my Apple computers, I have never gotten a harmful virus, despite my absolute and complete disregard for caution when opening/downloading things and surfing the internet. . I go to a lot of very sketchy websites and download all manner of questionable content, and nothing bad has ever happened.

richfell
244 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 19, 2018 18:54 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18609927 (external link)
Oh, it's ok. . I screw around with EVERYTHING!

For years and years, when I see obvious scams, I respond to the scammers to mess around with them. . It's often pretty fun! I don't see what harm can come of it. . After messing with hundreds of scammers, nothing bad has ever happened to me.

I mean, what can they do? . Call me at 3am just to wake me up? . My job already does that, so I can handle it. . Send me an infected file? . With my Apple computers, I have never gotten a harmful virus, despite my absolute and complete disregard for caution when opening/downloading things and surfing the internet. . I go to a lot of very sketchy websites and download all manner of questionable content, and nothing bad has ever happened.

Have you been to this site then? http://www.419eater.co​m/ (external link) They like to mess with the scammers, calling it scambating, and document it.

Rich

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2018 19:00 |  #13

I suspect that the link that they send me will be a link to a site that looks just like eBay.

When I get there, I will be asked to log in to my eBay account, and then when I type in my username and password, they will get my eBay username and password, and then be able to hack into my real eBay account and my real PayPal account, and quite possibly go on from there and try to use that intelligence to get into my other accounts, such as email account and banking account.

But really, who would ever fall for anything like that? . Of course I would not try to log in to a site that I get to via a link from a scammer. . Everybody knows not to do that. . The thing that everybody knows to do is to go to eBay through their saved history or their favorites list, or however they would normally get there, and then log in from there, not from a link that is sent to them.

I mean, really, if one is savvy to all the tricks that scammers use, then what can they really do to you?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,344 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 19, 2018 19:01 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #14

As long as you know what you're getting into.

I was basing that comment on your admitted avoidance of technology. Which isn't directly related, but any who.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,187 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 19, 2018 19:19 |  #15

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18609932 (external link)
But really, who would ever fall for anything like that?

A remarkably and depressingly large number of folks, sadly.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

1,613 views & 10 likes for this thread
Got to love Craigslist
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.