Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Aug 2004 (Monday) 04:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 70-200 F4L - Review

Relaxtech
30 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 16, 2011 03:13 as a reply to  @ post 12202839 |  #61

It's the best lens in good light condition with reasonable price.

40D, 7D; 17-40f4L; 85f1.8; 70-200f4L

sponsored links
a.jayamohan
37 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 27, 2011 04:22 as a reply to  @ Relaxtech's post |  #62

I bought one F4L 70-200 today, and with my 7D I have clicked a few pictures...this lens is amazing:)

Seventeen ­ Nineteen
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 27, 2011 07:30 as a reply to  @ a.jayamohan's post |  #63

I got one for Christmas. So far I'm pretty surprised - very sharp wide open at f/4. I'm just not sold on a lens that is this slow. I'd prefer to have a lens with a maximum aperture somewhere 2.8 or lower. I don't like having to bump my ISO so much to keep my shutter speed up where it needs to be. Luckily I have a 5Dm2, so I don't really worry about it. But I'd rather have the light there in the first place.

Very sharp in comparison with the 135L I just sold (and hopefully will not regret TOO much...)

70-200 f/4 wide open....nice bokeh! Pretty Sharp too...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Madelena (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

70-200 f/4 wide open and ISO 400 at noon! Would rather be at 3.2 for a little thinner DoF and ISO 100-200, but I'm happy
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_5333.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

For comparison, here's my 135L wide open at f/2 ISO 400 on a cloudy day at 4:30pm. I'm not sure I could have taken this shot at f/4 as my dog is rarely standing still...
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMG_5139.jpg (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

70-200 f/4 ISO 200 at 154mm wide open at f/4. Really sharp!
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Something Over There... (external link) by Michael Hulcher (external link), on Flickr

Portfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

alex.hondsmerk
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 27, 2011 11:24 |  #64

Have it, love it. Absolutely perfect for what I do (walkaround photography and rowing) and it doesn't cost a bomb or require biceps the size of babies to carry around! The build quality is absolutely phenomenal compared to the 'lesser' senses I own.

Gripped 50D, 24-105 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4 L, EF-S 17-85, 50 f/1.8 II "L" (external link), Tamron 60 f/2 Macro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, 430EX
Flickr (external link)

PJmak
685 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 18, 2018 12:42 |  #65

Thinking about getting this to use on a sony crop sensor with an adapter(not worried about utilizing the auto focus).

Im pretty comfortable using it as an all manual lens.

Does anyone use this lens on a crop sensor?

Can you share some pics please

Viewbug (external link)

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 11 months ago by mcoren.

Apr 18, 2018 21:46 |  #66

PJmak wrote in post #18609135 (external link)
Thinking about getting this to use on a sony crop sensor with an adapter(not worried about utilizing the auto focus).

Im pretty comfortable using it as an all manual lens.

Does anyone use this lens on a crop sensor?

Can you share some pics please

Woah! Zombie thread, back from the dead! :-)

I owned the IS version of this lens for about two years and used it exclusively on Canon crop bodies (T2i and 70D). It's a great lens! I only sold it because I needed more reach (even on crop bodies) for airshows.

I think I've read rumors that Canon is working on a new version (aren't they always!), and Tamron just came out with their own 70-210 f/4 so I would give that a look due to a more modern optical design. On the other hand, the Canon lenses are still great performers despite their age. The non-IS version of Canon's lens can be found used for around $400, which is particularly attractive if you plan to use it on a Sony body with in-camera stabilization.

Here are two pics I took with it, first on a T2i (18MP, not sure how much I cropped):

https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=17786585&​i=i2613829

and this one on a 70D (20MP, definitely cropped):

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=17696605&i=​i174796761

Hope that helps!
Mike

EDIT: Rereading what I just posted, I realize that I didn't actually use it *exclusively* on crop bodies like I said. I also used it a couple of times on an old film EOS body (100/Elan), which I take out and run a roll or two through about once a year or so. But I don't have any of those images handy to post. ;)

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

wyntastr
703 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 19, 2018 09:55 |  #67

I use this lens and my 100-400L almost exclusively when shooting my daughter's softball games. I use it with my 1D Mk III which is an APS-H crop, but have used it on the 60D as well. It's a fantastic lens. Light, sharp, well built and very affordable at today's used prices.

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3950/33421990392_a5678af0b6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SVor​kE  (external link) winter storm-1010 (external link) by Jonathan (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2859/33422634672_31ed49422c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SVrJ​RW  (external link) LW day2-169 (external link) by Jonathan (external link), on Flickr

6D - 1D Mk III - 60D - Rokinon 8 fisheye - EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 40 f/2.8 STM - EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I - EF 85 f/1.8 - EF 70-200 f/4L - EF 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - EF 300mm f/2.8 IS L - EF 100-400L

PJmak
685 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Apr 19, 2018 10:22 |  #68

Thanks for sharing to both of you.

I spent a good amount of time looking for a thread on this lens on here and this is all I found. I didn't wanna start another one

I think Im gonna be picking this up soon. I like to shoot different things and this lens would be perfect. I dont stick to one type of style. Check my page in my sig if youd like.

Viewbug (external link)

sponsored links

39,882 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon EF 70-200 F4L - Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.