Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 16:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with camera not firing in Dark. Canon 5dmkIV

woleary
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Apr 22, 2018 16:12 |  #1

So I normally shoot outdoors, wildlife, landscape and travel type stuff. So in a studio with flash and lights is all new to me.

While taking a lighting class I ran in to an issue. I was shooting a Canon 5d mkiv with Canon 2.8 70-200 L IS 2. The camera was refusing to fire while on auto focus. Now it was dark and we were using flash. If I stepped out of the room in to a lit room the camera fired fine. When I stepped back in to the studio into the dark the camera refused to fire. Once I turned the auto focus off the camera shot fine. My theory is there is a setting that won't allow the camera to fire unless it can find focus, but I am not sure and I can't seem to located it.

Can anyone give me suggestions.

woleary

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,226 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 22, 2018 17:17 |  #2

What flash was in the studio? How did you have it connected to your 5D4? It could have been that the 5D had AF assist enabled, and couldn't find a compatible flash. Autofocus Menu 3 has AF Assist option. Another thing that can help is enabling back button focus, so that the camera doesn't hunt after you've already set your focus.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,606 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Apr 22, 2018 18:23 |  #3

I don't have a 5D4, but I've shot a lot of Canon bodies. If you put AF on the * or AF-ON button, the shutter will fire whether you get focus or not. At least that works on all my bodies.

Tom

woleary
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2018
Post edited 1 month ago by woleary.

Apr 22, 2018 18:30 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #4

I do not know the manufacture of the strobe setup they had. It was a 9 inch square power pack or controller that was 110v and had out puts to four different lights controlled 2 at a time or all four together. If that makes sense. We were using a pocket wizard that attached to the camera which connected to a second pocket wizard on the controller.

In AF Menu 3
A. Lens electronic MF is On,
B. AF-assist beam firing is off,
C. on shot AF release prior is is Focus priority.

Now I have been going in to the dark at home with no flash set up what so ever and the camera will not fire.

I just changed C one shot AF release priority to release and now it will fire in the dark at home. So maybe that will fix it. I hope. But I would like to hear suggestions or input.
because the true test will not be until my next class on Thursday.

Bill

woleary.photoshelter.c​om

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,803 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 23, 2018 03:49 |  #5

The setting you did will fix the issue. But it will, perhaps, also render images that aren't in focus.
If it's so dark that a 5D Mark IV can't focus, then chances are you can't do it manually either.
As long as you don't have a Canon flash, or something compatible, with AF assist light in the hot shoe, the AF assist ligh setting doesn't matter. The camera can't emit that light by itself. But you can use a flashlight/torch to illuminate the subject when focusing.

Note that the suggestion to set AF-ON to focus will not help. It's already set to focus, if you haven't changed it. It's instead the setting that removes focus from half-pressing the trigger button that helps. If you do that, then you can focus with AF-ON (with assist light of some sort), then take pictures and the camera will not make new attempts to focus. It will also allow exposure even if the camera is completely out of focus, regardless of the focus/release priority setting.

Anders

graham121
745 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 23, 2018 05:33 |  #6

woleary wrote in post #18611615 (external link)
I do not know the manufacture of the strobe setup they had. It was a 9 inch square power pack or controller that was 110v and had out puts to four different lights controlled 2 at a time or all four together. If that makes sense. We were using a pocket wizard that attached to the camera which connected to a second pocket wizard on the controller.

In AF Menu 3
A. Lens electronic MF is On,
B. AF-assist beam firing is off,
C. on shot AF release prior is is Focus priority.

Now I have been going in to the dark at home with no flash set up what so ever and the camera will not fire.

I just changed C one shot AF release priority to release and now it will fire in the dark at home. So maybe that will fix it. I hope. But I would like to hear suggestions or input.
because the true test will not be until my next class on Thursday.

Bill

woleary.photoshelter.c​om

I am thinking maybe the issue is that it is just too dark outside for the AF to work, ie EV is less than -4 or whatever, depending on the AF point in use.

Unless you are using a flash with an AF Assist Beam - the red light - and you have AF Menu 3 set to AF-assist beam set to ON then in the dark the AF will not have anything to 'contrast detect' and will not be able to focus.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,326 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Apr 23, 2018 06:57 |  #7

A couple of things that haven't been mentioned.

When looking through the viewfinder, there is a circle/dot that will blink when AF doesn't lock onto something. This is a good thing to keep an eye on to figure out what the heck is going on.

Also, I think when starting out people feel like they need to keep ambient light in the studio extremely low so it doesn't effect the shot. The reality is that you can generally have enough light to not trip over stuff, and achieve focus without having much, if any effect on the photo.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,803 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 23, 2018 07:21 |  #8

There's actually yet another condition.

graham121 wrote in post #18611831 (external link)
Unless you are using a flash with an AF Assist Beam - the red light - and you have AF Menu 3 set to AF-assist beam set to ON and the flash itself is set to emit the AF beam, then in the dark the AF will not have anything to 'contrast detect' and will not be able to focus.

Anders

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,276 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 23, 2018 08:12 |  #9

I believe you also have to be in one shot mode to if you expect to use flash AF assist, this won't work in servo mode.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

woleary
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Apr 23, 2018 08:45 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #10

The ambient light was extremely low for parts of the shoot and that is when I had issues. I am afraid I am not in charge of the lighting. That responsibility is shared by other students and instructor.

woleary
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Apr 23, 2018 08:46 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #11

I am in one shot mode. Thank you for the suggestion.

sponsored links

471 views & 1 like for this thread
Problem with camera not firing in Dark. Canon 5dmkIV
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.