Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Apr 2018 (Tuesday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wrong ISO speed on film , What can i do without "Pulling" or "Puishg" it ?

PsychoHilda
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Apr 24, 2018 10:02 |  #1

Hi there ,

I just got a FE2 SLR camera , loaded with 3200llford B&W film , but found out the IOS dial are stuck to 400 and its unable to switch with any try , is there any way I can compensate with shutter speed ? or with aperture ?

also with this setting , 400IOS and 3200Film the film with end up underexposed or over ?

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,344 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by gjl711.

Apr 24, 2018 10:13 |  #2

PsychoHilda wrote in post #18612588 (external link)
Hi there ,

I just got a FE2 SLR camera , loaded with 3200llford B&W film , but found out the IOS dial are stuck to 400 and its unable to switch with any try , is there any way I can compensate with shutter speed ? or with aperture ?

also with this setting , 400IOS and 3200Film the film with end up underexposed or over ?

As the film is 3 stops faster than the camera is set to, the film will be three stops over-exposed. You can compensate by adjusting with the shutter speed or aperture or a combination of the two. For instance, you meter the scene and the setting come to SS=1/100 aperture=f/5.6.
You can change the shutter to 1/800 and keep the aperture the same,
or you can keep the shutter at 1/100 and change the aperture to f/16.
or change the shutter to 1/200 and the aperture to f/11,
or change the shutter to 1/400 and the aperture to f/8.
All are the same exposure.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

PsychoHilda
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Apr 24, 2018 12:06 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #3

thx so much for the solution ! I am new to SLR camera ,

I don't understand why is lower ISO setting will over-exposed higher ISO film or higher ISO setting will under-exposed lower ISO film .

and does it help if I turn the exposure compensation down ?

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,344 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 24, 2018 12:58 |  #4

PsychoHilda wrote in post #18612658 (external link)
thx so much for the solution ! I am new to SLR camera ,

I don't understand why is lower ISO setting will over-exposed higher ISO film or higher ISO setting will under-exposed lower ISO film .

and does it help if I turn the exposure compensation down ?

The ISO number of film represents the films sensitivity to light. The lower the number, the less sensitive. In your case with the camera stuck on ISO400, the cameras metering functions will adjust all of the settings so that the image is properly exposed for 400 speed film. Every doubling of ISO means that the film is 2x as sensitive. ISO800 is twice as sensitive to light as ISO400 and so on. So the camera will choose a shutter speed and aperture for ISO400 but the film you have is much more sensitive and the speed and aperture chosen will allow the film to be expose too much hence, over exposed.

You can dial in EC to compensate. For your case dial in a -3EC and all should be fine.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2018 13:52 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

By lowering the ISO..largely affecting how the camera would meter the scene, you are exposing your film to ISO 128000.... So, you haven't shot the film yet? If so, just add additional 3 stops of exposure to the scene.. The easiest is to increase you shutter speed to another 3 stops. If the shutter speed is currently using is 1/125s, increase it to 1/1000s. Or 1/500s and adding an extra F stop...ie.. F 4 to F5.6. F2.8 to F4.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 25, 2018 13:10 |  #6

A quick double check, since it is easy to overlook, but you've remembered to lift UP on the ISO dial before trying to turn it, right? ISO selectors on film cameras typically have safeties to avoid easily changing their settings, as there is little reason to swap that setting mid roll.

Delta 3200 is a bit of a unique film in that it kind of departs from typical ISO ratings, and was formulated to be pretty tolerant with a good latitude on how you expose and develop it. I've shot a bit with it, and read a fair bit more about it, and the 'General wisdom' on the internet is that it is more like a ISO 1000 film, give or take depending on who you ask, that pushes well enough to use at 3200 without issue, and there are a fair number online who will push it to 6400 or even higher for some interesting results.

If you have not yet taken any exposures on the roll, then shooting and developing it as if it were 800 film would not be likely to give you unwelcome results, and it is something I've done a few times when I didn't have a 400 film on hand. (You could also shoot it straight as a 400 speed film, but I've not done that personally so far and can't comment on any possible issues.) If you can't adjust the selector, then that would be opening the aperture up one extra stop, or exposing for one stop longer than the meter would indicate for 400.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

sponsored links

764 views & 2 likes for this thread
Wrong ISO speed on film , What can i do without "Pulling" or "Puishg" it ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.