Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Apr 2018 (Thursday) 20:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you old enough to do these things?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 25, 2018 13:59 |  #196

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18613358 (external link)
So of course,... the Hearse had a LOT of room for speakers.
3 power amplifiers, an electronic crossover, eq, and 10 drivers later, I had THE BOMB in my Smith Hill neighborhood.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18612596 (external link)
I abandoned it on an on ramp in 1991 after the breaks failed and I was destitute at the time.

Did you remove this equipment before abandoning the car?

I'd hate to think that looters were to get anything worthwhile like this sound gear.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,394 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Apr 25, 2018 14:00 |  #197

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18613330 (external link)
That must have caused one helluva traffic jam.

It was to the side and too low on the ramp for the highway to see.

We got a friends car and came back for the speakers and gear. I still have some of that in a box in my garage,. wow, like nearly 40 year old audio gear! Time to give it away.
Some of it was in my Tacoma when i traded it in last October. After the hearse I lived in Downtown providence for 16 years, and thus could not have either a nice stereo or a nice car, since no matter what it was broken into on average twice a year. I took to leaving it unlocked to save on auto glass.

Needless to say there are dozens of hearse related stories,. I could go on, but someone would have to start a new thread. It would certainly an entire chapter in my memoirs.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 25, 2018 14:03 |  #198

number six wrote in post #18613361 (external link)
Uh, Tom, that's an ambulance. That's what most or all ambulances looked like in the '50s and early '60s.

-js

Yes, of course it is. . I fully realized that. . However, someone wrote something about what they prefer a hearse to look like, and I was replying to that statement, that a hearse shouldn't look like an ambulance - it should look like a hearse, and that what we prefer a hearse to look like doesn't matter - all that matters is what the family of the deceased wants it to look like.

I can't believe that you really thought that I don't know that it was an ambulance. . Sheesh.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,162 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 25, 2018 14:27 |  #199

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18613366 (external link)
. . . I could go on, but someone would have to start a new thread. It would certainly an entire chapter in my memoirs.

Done.

AZGeorge wrote in post #18613380 (external link)
Except for one about an icy road in the cemetery, I don't have and good ones but Jake Hegnauer does.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,661 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 25, 2018 17:05 |  #200

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18613366 (external link)
It was to the side and too low on the ramp for the highway to see.

I kind of figured so. Just having some fun with you. ;-)a

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,661 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 25, 2018 17:09 |  #201

Since we are on this subject, here's one from a car show... :-)

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7419/27636736241_181439e95c_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/J7au​Qr  (external link) Delicatessen Delivery - Cold Cuts Our Specialty (external link) by bigbend700 (external link), on Flickr

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 25, 2018 17:15 as a reply to  @ Perfectly Frank's post |  #202

That looks very similar to the one we have at the funeral home.

Ours is an early 1980s Buick; but I suppose all such GM products are quite similar (except for Caddys).

Canonuser123
469 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 25, 2018 17:25 |  #203

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18613513 (external link)
That looks very similar to the one we have at the funeral home.

I hope yours is in a little better condition.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 25, 2018 17:31 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #204

We're all going to take that last ride some day. And it always keeps on getting sooner ... tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ...

I'd actually prefer to take my leave in a Mercedes rather than a Toyota ... but I won't be offering any complaints after the event, however it turns out.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 25, 2018 17:38 |  #205

DaviSto wrote in post #18613534 (external link)
I'd actually prefer to take my leave in a Mercedes rather than a Toyota ... but I won't be offering any complaints after the event, however it turns out.

I'm most likely to take my leave in an ambulance or other emergency vehicle. . I'm a "throw caution to the wind" kind of guy, and it'll probably catch up to me at some point.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016
Post edited 1 month ago by DaviSto.

Apr 25, 2018 17:56 |  #206

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18613536 (external link)
I'm most likely to take my leave in an ambulance or other emergency vehicle. . I'm a "throw caution to the wind" kind of guy, and it'll probably catch up to me at some point.

I figure you will more likely end up as the corpse that gets found ten years later ... after you slip on the wet rock and fall into the creek. Identified only by the distinctive and many dints on your camera and seriously abused 500mm lens.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 25, 2018 19:04 |  #207

DaviSto wrote in post #18613546 (external link)
I figure you will more likely end up as the corpse that gets found ten years later ... after you slip on the wet rock and fall into the creek. Identified only by the distinctive and many dints on your camera and seriously abused 500mm lens.

I have helped law enforcement recover several such bodies here in my area - ones that the river claimed. . However, all were found within 4 1/2 months of having died. . It would be quite exceptional for a body to be in a river for more than several months without being found and recovered.

By the way, I know that you were using humour in your post, even though I replied as if no humour had been used.

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,152 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 25, 2018 22:15 |  #208

Wow, lots of reading in here tonight!

Radio stations: We listened to whatever Dad was listening to. Dad loves radio. We live about an hour from Detroit, so we listened to a lot of their stations. Paul Harvey was my favourite.

Vehicles: I drove a 1978 Ford Pinto Runabout for many years. Bare bones on that one! Crank windows, manual locks, manual brakes, no A/C, no radio (Grandpa installed one himself), the 'cold air' vents were direct feed from the grill, 2.3L 4 cyl with full carb, manual choke after the auto choke kept breaking, no coolant overflow bottle, 3 speed automatic transmission, high beam switch on the floor. We drove that until the oil pan rusted through.
I fell in love with Grandpas 1978 GMC Sierra Custom 150 farm truck. I never legally drove it, but that's where my love of trucks came from.

Engines: Some modern engines will go and go and go. Others die horrible, early deaths. I'm 7 1/2 weeks into a new job at Hyundai. They have major engine problems. I currently have a 2017 Tucson with 42,000 kms on my hoist. The engine and transmission are on a stand on the floor. #3 wrist pin broke. The connecting rod beat the piston to bits and the engine seized. The newer engines are supposed to be built better than the last generation was, but it looks like they still have problems. But.... the customer also was buying the cheapest oil change service possible (Walmart), and they used an extremely low quality oil filter. So, did the engine fail due to poor maintenance, or was it doomed to fail no matter what? We don't know, this is the first 2017 we've had fail.

I still change my own spark plugs. All I need is a spark plug socket and a ratchet. All 8 of them are fully accessible.

I love side vent windows!! Many times I wish for an old truck. Regular cab, bench seat, split rear window, vent windows, and that perfect temperature Saturday afternoon road trip with the dog riding shotgun.

Oh, and for reference.... I'm 37.

Melody

kiwichris
Goldmember
2,563 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 26, 2018 04:37 |  #209

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18605781 (external link)
Here's a more recent technology that has disappeared...home dvd recorders.

Of course there is Tivo. But I'm talking about a dvd recorder that accepts blank dvds and
allows recording of tv shows. Can't find any new ones. Gone...gone...gone!

I have two of those, of course one only gets analogue tv :)

Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

TustinMike
Goldmember
3,364 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by TustinMike. (2 edits in all)

Apr 26, 2018 13:07 |  #210

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #18613688 (external link)
Radio stations: We listened to whatever Dad was listening to. Dad loves radio. We live about an hour from Detroit, so we listened to a lot of their stations. Paul Harvey was my favourite.

Only 37 and you remember Paul Harvey, good on you! He had a unique style, for sure....and that's....the rest of the story....Good Day !

Reminds me that also back in the day, in LA at least (not sure if he was syndicated or not) there was a fellow on one of the AM news-radio stations named Michael Jackson. Not that Michael Jackson, this fellow was a Brit by birth but, I believe, a longtime resident if not a citizen of the U.S., and guess what - he did not yell, did not rant, he was extremely civil and seemed a very nice guy, and covered the issues of the day with interesting guests. I miss that kind of radio, that kind of dialogue, just a bit. It is still out there thankfully, but it's rare.

All New Year, All New Sig !

sponsored links

9,713 views & 222 likes for this thread
Are you old enough to do these things?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.