Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Apr 2018 (Friday) 08:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How did you learn PP?

aridan
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Apr 27, 2018 08:24 |  #1

Question: for those of you who are proficient and have mastered Photoshop… what was your learning path? How did you go from the very basics, to mastering the software?

Online courses? In-person classes? Online tutorials? Self-taught?

Thank you in advance

5D Mark III | 135L | 24-70L | 580EXII | Flickr | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,764 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 27, 2018 08:49 |  #2

I suspect that there are only 3 people in the world who have mastered everything that PS can do, & I'm not one of them.
I took it a step at a time, learning what I needed for the job in front of me, & 99% of the time it's just selecting, layers, adjustment layers, cropping, resizing, & sharpening.
You've been around here for a while, so I wonder what prompted your question?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,063 posts
Gallery: 1508 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 10 months ago by MalVeauX.

Apr 27, 2018 09:11 |  #3

Self-taught by just doing it and learning from using the software, experimenting, etc, and then got on YouTube and learned a crazy amount of stuff that I had no idea about. Really though, there's so much you can do with a pixel editor like Photoshop that you don't even get into unless its part of your work flow. You can use a tiny percent of the software and not realize you're not tapping into a ton just sitting there. So for that, this is why YouTube videos are so helpful. You can just think of a problem/solution and type it in, and there's a tutorial on YouTube for it and you can learn to do it quickly. Every time you do that, you add another tool to your toolbox. I learned most of what I know from doing processing of astrophotography, where you dig into data and stretch it out, you look at things differently, compared to terrestrial still photography and the tutorials are down right scary because you start with nearly a black image and end up with something crazy. I learned a ton just by looking up that stuff.

+++++++++++++

Here's an example of something I learned from YouTube tutorials (free stuff made by people who just do it) on how to really dig into the histogram and use dynamic range of a high signal to noise ratio stack of data.

Here's my stacked 2 hour pile of data:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Here's the histogram stretched from the dynamic range:

HOSTED PHOTO

And here's where I took it eventually:

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/689/32336479290_3a5d0819b5_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RgsU​H1  (external link) NGC2238_ReProc_0204201​7 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Post edited 10 months ago by aridan. (2 edits in all)

Apr 27, 2018 09:14 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18614625 (external link)
I suspect that there are only 3 people in the world who have mastered everything that PS can do, & I'm not one of them.
I took it a step at a time, learning what I needed for the job in front of me, & 99% of the time it's just selecting, layers, adjustment layers, cropping, resizing, & sharpening.
You've been around here for a while, so I wonder what prompted your question?

I guess I could have used a better term than ‘mastered’, with that said, you can use it loosely… ;-)a

While I have been here for quite some time, and have some basic to low-intermediate PS skills, I would like to take it to the next level. I know everything a hobbyist photographer needs to know for my respective level, and feel confident operating the camera, and feel that I can stage a picture and make it come out the way I want it – out of the camera. However, I realize that with the advancement of digital photography, there is so much more one can do in PP. The way I see it, PP skills and knowledge, are just as important as photography concepts. In other words, what you can do with an image in PP is just an important, and sometimes even more important and productive than snapping the picture in the first place. After all, with good PP skills and knowledge, one can take a sub-par out-of-the-camera image, and turn it to a stunning image in PP.

troutfisher
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 27, 2018 09:42 |  #5

I decide what I want to do, then use Adobe ,You Tube , google or whatever that will show me how to do it.
I have a dual monitor set up so I put the "advice" on one monitor and the photo on the other and work away

Chris
" Age and treachery will always defeat youth and enthusiasm"

Peano
Goldmember
1,730 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 27, 2018 10:26 |  #6

aridan wrote in post #18614636 (external link)
I guess I could have used a better term than ‘mastered’, with that said, you can use it loosely… ;-)a

While I have been here for quite some time, and have some basic to low-intermediate PS skills, I would like to take it to the next level.

My advice is to think carefully about means and ends. Photoshop is a means to an end. The end is always some result that you first envision and then bring about using PS. I don't know how many people I've seen online who have become very good at the means but remain novices (at best) as to ends. They know all about how the various PS tools work, but they can't use that knowledge to achieve a worthwhile result, because they can't envision a worthwhile result. It's like being a skilled driver of a fine car, but being unable to imagine going anywhere in particular in it.

With that in mind, I think getting to the next level requires a primary focus on ends and a secondary focus on means. Here's an illustration with a photo I edited years ago. There's nothing great about the editing, but it does illustrate a dramatic (and I would say aesthetically pleasing) change from the original on the left. The tools were pretty modest; I think I was using PS Elements 3.0 at the time.

The point is that skill with the most sophisticated tools wouldn't have gotten me there if I couldn't have first envisioned those changes to the original. Although the "next level" will probably require new PS skills, it is primarily about envisioning results -- about ends rather than means. Example: In the photo below (left), how can I change the way the light strikes that massive column on the left? I want the light to strike the front side but leave the right side in shadow. Once I can "see" that result in my mind, I have a job for PS to do. I can learn the various ways PS can be used to isolate one surface and brighten it, and isolate another surface and darken it.

If you practice "seeing" results that you really want to achieve -- one image at a time -- you can then pick up the PS skills needed for any particular end all over the place -- online tutorials, courses at Lynda.com, trial-and-error, etc.

HOSTED PHOTO

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,922 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited 10 months ago by airfrogusmc.

Apr 27, 2018 11:36 |  #7

I was the staff photographer at a hospital in the 90s and they paid for classes then a lot of time doing it over the years.

ThreeHounds
837 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 27, 2018 11:54 |  #8

Peano wrote in post #18614687 (external link)
If you practice "seeing" results that you really want to achieve -- one image at a time -- you can then pick up the PS skills needed for any particular end all over the place -- online tutorials, courses at Lynda.com, trial-and-error, etc.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Peano in
./showthread.php?p=186​14687&i=i43060223
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

I can't agree more with this thought. If I sit down and just say "What technique will I need to learn for future use?", it would be a futile effort. But having a project in hand and having a vision for what you want it to look like, puts you on a path to learn and figure out for yourself. I come from a background as a custom 'C' printer. Much of my digital training was self taught through need along with having contacts that had more experience than myself that I could lean on. Further that to the many online resources for specific techniques such as skin retouching, compositing, color grading and such, and there pretty much nothing you can't set out to do and learn in pretty quick order.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,156 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 27, 2018 12:02 |  #9

My mom mostly taught me to PP. I mostly stand for control, but I've been known to sit as well.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

ThreeHounds
837 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 27, 2018 12:08 as a reply to  @ Chet's post |  #10

I use raisins for target practice

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,874 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Apr 27, 2018 12:15 |  #11

Chet wrote in post #18614739 (external link)
My mom mostly taught me to PP. I mostly stand for control, but I've been known to sit as well.

LOL :lol:

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 27, 2018 12:17 |  #12

joined www.664elite.com (external link) for $20 a month. I did the 20+ courses that are around 1 hour each. There are several just on workflow, one dedicated to ACR, with the other courses on topics like inverted layers, the different types of sharpening, different ways to do noise reduction, layers and masking, blend modes with emphasis on blend if.......etc.

You can quite after taking all the courses in the first month.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,326 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 27, 2018 12:23 |  #13

I'm far from mastering Photoshop. I bet I use less than 20% of it's capabilities. For PS and LR I took courses at a local photo school that has night courses and has a full-time diploma program. PS probably in about 2006 when there was far less info on the net. LR in 2012. Now I just go to youtube, etc to brush up on stuff.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

tim
Light Bringer
50,951 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 27, 2018 12:37 |  #14

I bought a book and learned as I went. These days youtube might be useful, but a book that includes video guides and explains things well would probably be better and more structured. Once you learn the basics of PS like layers the rest you can work out fairly easily.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,326 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 27, 2018 12:42 |  #15

tim wrote in post #18614777 (external link)
I bought a book and learned as I went. These days youtube might be useful, but a book that includes video guides and explains things well would probably be better and more structured. Once you learn the basics of PS like layers the rest you can work out fairly easily.

Right. I picked up a few books along the way. Just looking at the PS CS2 Book For Digital Photography to my right.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

2,370 views & 16 likes for this thread
How did you learn PP?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.