Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Apr 2018 (Friday) 08:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How did you learn PP?

GammyKnee
184 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Feb 2015

Apr 27, 2018 14:22 |  #16

I'm absolutely not a master of photoshop, but I have become proficient in certain areas that are relevant to me. I would describe my learning approach as "task-based"; when I need to accomplish a particular task, I research how to do it via Google. I make a point of digging up four or five candidate solutions, preferably ones that take different approaches, because with a tool as powerful and flexible as PS there are always different ways to accomplish any given task, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Obviously I then review them and pick the one that's the best fit for the results I want to get and the amount of time/effort I'm prepared to throw at it.

Formerly Beanie's Dad (account lost in forum update)
Gear: 5D II & IV, assorted lenses, Canon & Yongnuo flash

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 10 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Apr 28, 2018 10:09 |  #17

By choice I don't master all of Photoshop's functions, either. However, I have learned what I need and want to know and can do many creative things.

How did I learn? Photoshop tutorials and videos.

IMHO there is no need whatsoever for books and training ( $$$ ) courses.

Of all the things in this world taught on the internet - from how to tie a shoe to how to fix a plumbing leak - I venture to guess that Photoshop is number 1.

There is a ton of material - and more heaped upon the stack every day - that is available for free.

Considering the abundance of materials available, there is nothing about PP, Photoshop and others you cannot learn and master.

You only need to be willing to take the time to learn - read the tutorials and watch the videos.

Website (external link) |

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by AZGeorge.

Apr 28, 2018 16:58 |  #18

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18615264 (external link)
By choice I don't master all of Photoshop's functions, either. However, I have learned what I need and want to know and can do many creative things.

How did I learn? Photoshop tutorials and videos.

IMHO there is no need whatsoever for books and training ( $$$ ) courses.

Of all the things in this world taught on the internet - from how to tie a shoe to how to fix a plumbing leak - I venture to guess that Photoshop is number 1.

There is a ton of material - and more heaped upon the stack every day - that is available for free.

Considering the abundance of materials available, there is nothing about PP, Photoshop and others you cannot learn and master.

You only need to be willing to take the time to learn - read the tutorials and watch the videos.

Add using Adobe's online version of the manual and I totally agree.

Learning on the fly works and works well.

After twenty plus years of use I've TOTALLY mastered PS. An essential part of that mastery is still learning new things. Except for the poor souls stuck in a production environment there is always something new to learn.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

mathogre
Goldmember
3,527 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 28, 2018 23:35 |  #19

I'm with others who look up what they need to learn how to do.

I'm also aggressive on looking at photography websites that have interesting techniques on how to do things. Recently I discovered a webpage that described how to do B&W conversions with one keystroke and one mouse click. Link below. I was intrigued. I tried it, it worked. I wasn't looking for it, didn't need it for anything specific, but there it was. Now I have a pdf of this page in my "photography" folder.

https://fstoppers.com …r-black-and-whites-240850 (external link)

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

medd63
357 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited 9 months ago by medd63.

May 01, 2018 06:31 |  #20

Online tutorials - primarily www.phlearn.com (external link) (90%) and www.piximperfect.com (external link)

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

Pippan
Goldmember
1,386 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

May 01, 2018 07:11 |  #21

Peano wrote in post #18614687 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Peano in
./showthread.php?p=186​14687&i=i43060223
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Wow. Thanks for that. That's really opened my eyes to what you can do with Ps. I'd have waited a long time for the right light lol!

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 01, 2018 07:17 |  #22

I wanted to learn how to get more punch out of my B&W conversions using LR. I found some interesting videos.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=fM64UsSsdj0 (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=QiEDE_GKcLA (external link)

I like this one.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=trlXHfJRpWI (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=dVNBOGzO29o (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 08, 2018 08:03 |  #23

A lot of good responses already with much good advice.

I agree that there is plenty of information available for free. There is also plenty of junk. You need to become selective. This applies to both free resources and paid resources.

One advantage of paid resources is that they tend to be a bit better organized. If you find a good instructor delivering a paid set of videos, the material is organized around a set of skills and the presentation builds on the knowledge in previous segments. Yes, it costs you some money, but it saves you time fishing through materials to sift out what you need and the material can act as a reference source more easily. Not to say the free resources are a bad way to go, just pointing out the advantage of paid resources. This organization is most valuable for laying the foundation of knowledge in my experience.

It is very important to understand what your final goal is or might be. It is especially important that you consider final output. If your goal is sharing images on Instagram, the bar is very low. This isn't a bad thing, but you need to realize that there are methods which are fine for creating low-res images which are much more problematic if you are making 24x36" prints. Smaller details matter a lot more if you are making large prints.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,701 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 21, 2018 23:50 |  #24

F2Bthere wrote in post #18621821 (external link)
Smaller details matter a lot more if you are making large prints.

So true. I see many workflows that would not work for me because they leave in slight halos or other issues that you are going to see on a 24" print. And actually I have never seen a video showing how I sometimes have to separate say mountains from sky. Possibly because a lot of what is out there is how to do something 'quick-and-easy', rather than 'quicker-than-100%-manual-but-still-takes-some-work'.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 22, 2018 00:06 |  #25

ejenner wrote in post #18630132 (external link)
So true. I see many workflows that would not work for me because they leave in slight halos or other issues that you are going to see on a 24" print. And actually I have never seen a video showing how I sometimes have to separate say mountains from sky. Possibly because a lot of what is out there is how to do something 'quick-and-easy', rather than 'quicker-than-100%-manual-but-still-takes-some-work'.

Exactly so.

This is where Gradient maps, channel pulling and such make a big difference because the transitions are organic precisely because they are made from the image.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,330 views & 16 likes for this thread
How did you learn PP?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.