Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 27 Feb 2017 (Monday) 19:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Travel Lenses?

Feihung08
542 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 27, 2017 19:09 |  #1

Hi folks, about to buy an 80D and will be going on a honeymoon in September! I want to pack light, but want to make sure I get all the best shots I can of course. Any suggestions on lenses? All I have right now is a Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8. It's an oldie so not even sure if there's something better to look at?

My initial thought is a zoom in that range, plus maybe a prime 35mm to get some good quality landscape shots in? Or not wide enough??

Canon 80D | Tamron 28-75mm | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Canon 430 EX | LensBaby 2.0

sponsored links
dave_bass5
Goldmember
4,287 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 05, 2017 08:54 |  #2

Feihung08 wrote in post #18287195 (external link)
Hi folks, about to buy an 80D and will be going on a honeymoon in September! I want to pack light, but want to make sure I get all the best shots I can of course. Any suggestions on lenses? All I have right now is a Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8. It's an oldie so not even sure if there's something better to look at?

My initial thought is a zoom in that range, plus maybe a prime 35mm to get some good quality landscape shots in? Or not wide enough??

My thought would be a 18-135 IS USM Nano, plus maybe the 35 f/2 IS or 50mm f/1.8 STM, or if you need wider the 24mm f/2.8 STM. This is exactly what i took to Florida earlier this year and although not the lightest weight, i found this covered everything i needed, and i didnt miss my 'better' gear at all.

Dave.
Gallery@http://www.flickr.com/​photos/davebass5/ (external link)
Canon 5DMKIV | Canon EOS-M50 | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L MKII | 70-300L | 135L f/2.0 | EF-S 10-18 | 40 f/2.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Canon S110 | Fuji F31FD | Canon 580EXII, 270EXII | Yongnuo YN-622C Triggers.

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,058 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Location: Chicago & Terminal 1, 3 or 5 with Samsonite & Pelican
Post edited over 1 year ago by mcluckie.

Apr 05, 2017 08:59 |  #3

Honeymoon and lens questions? Whats wrong with you?

Where are you going and what do you like to shoot? Budget? I'd say a 50L1.2 and keep the lights low. ;-)a

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 16-35III, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, X-F10, 16, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,301 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 19, 2017 11:27 |  #4

You already have it. 17-50 2.8 is great travel lens. I have 28-75 2.8 and it isn't on crop body. For quality landscapes you will need to add quality tripod and remote for shutter release.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,777 posts
Gallery: 1161 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 19, 2017 12:41 |  #5

That 17-50 F2.8 would be an appropriate travel lens.

Realistically, I would say drop the dSLR on travel and just take a decent P&S like a Canon G16 or a Sony RX__ series. Less bulk. More fun. Less to worry about.

I definitely don't understand the idea of getting a 35mm prime for good quality landscape... you'll be stopping down, it will not be any different than your zoom at F11 for landscape... ?

Besides, are you going to be walking around with your full kit, tripod, etc, everything, on a honeymoon? Or is it more of a photography outing?

If you were buying a lens today, I'd point towards a 17-50 F2.8 flavor.
And if you were still looking for something more, I'd simply point to something like a 10-22 and go as wide as you can.
Really depends on where you're going.

Travel is too broad. I simply recommend take an ultrawide-wide zoom when possible when you have no idea what to expect. Keep it light. Make sure it's not getting in the way of you and your significant other enjoying why you're there.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

polobreaka
938 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Apr 28, 2018 12:25 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #6

I agree with MalVeauX. I second the Sony rx100. I brought an rx100 with a6000+16-70, Rokinon 12mm to Iceland, Germany, Belgium, and Netherlands.. Not even halfway through the trip, I ended up using only the rx100 from capturing waterfalls to the milky way and the northern lights. Bring less and enjoy your trip.

Gear List and Feedbacks
Facebook (external link)

AsifSalam
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jul 25, 2018 10:53 |  #7

to make sure I keep the lens range covered for anything and everything.

I keep the following:

Sigma 12-24mm for super wide purpose, inside a building/church or from outside
Sigma 24-105mm Art - love this lens and so sharp and does everything I need to do, this is my all round lens mostly!
Sigma 85mm & 50mm F1.4 - just in case its a nice place worth taking Portrait of family.
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 for the long range zoom where I get up top on a tower and shoot the surroundings etc. good fun!

Enjoy the trip :)

Canon 1D Mark IV | Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 | Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-105mm f/4 Art | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (Macro) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Speedlite 580EX II
AsifSalam.com (external link)

s1a1om
482 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 25, 2018 11:39 |  #8

I pretty much only bother bringing my 16-35 on vacations and if I bring something else it doesn't usually get used. With that in mind, I'd say that your 17-50 is probably a really good option.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,536 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 25, 2018 11:44 |  #9

I travel a lot and my kit is an A7R2 / A7R with a 25mm, 35mm and 85mm lens. Kit is light and covers off my most used focal lengths.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,955 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 31, 2018 22:31 |  #10

I have traveled in Europe and the Orient with a two lens outfit on a pair of crop sensor Canon bodies: 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS (with a 1.4x TC thrown into my bag just for the heck of things).

I travel to take pictures and if I could not photograph, I wouldn't bother traveling. I don't take selfies and have only a couple of photographs of my wife.

The rest of mt hundreds of travel pictures (that I have culled from the many more that I have shot) are of the people I have seen and the places I have been.

I never felt like I was lacking with that pair of lenses...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

4,616 views & 1 like for this thread
Best Travel Lenses?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.