Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Apr 2018 (Saturday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you buy a 7D2 today?

LucaV
70 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 28, 2018 21:05 |  #1

Title says it all, almost.

I have had a 40D for 10 years or so and it's just about time to upgrade it ;)
Ideally I would wait for a 7D3 to be available but I am tempted to get a new camera for a nice trip I will soon have.

Would you buy the 7D2 now or is it a waste to buy such an old camera?

I would like to have:
- good low iso performance (especially since I am planning to buy either the sigma 100-400 or 150-600, both F6.3 or similar).
- hdr and/or higher dynamic range (my phone can take better landscapes than my camera, at times!)
- gps
- tilt screen would be nice but it is not a big deal
- weather sealing is nice but not a big deal

I do not care for:
- wireless
- video
- touch screen
- extreme fps (the 40D is sufficiently fast for me)

Any other camera you would consider instead of the 7D2?

I think I prefer the 7D2 on the 80D, but other than that I have been out of the camera loop for a while so I might be missing something.

Lenses I have:
Canon 100 2.8 macro (old one); canon 70-300is (old one); sigma 17-50 2.8; tokina 11-16 2.8

Thanks for your input.
L.

sponsored links
Canonuser123
692 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Canonuser123 with reason 'changed a > to a comma'. (2 edits in all)

Apr 28, 2018 21:20 |  #2

I like mine, if I were in your situation I would look for a good used one, sell it when the mark III comes if the mark II is not meeting your expectations.
If I did not already have lots of Canon mount lenses, I would look at a Nikon D500.

Maybe look for a used or refurbished 6D if you are more interested in landscapes.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,078 posts
Gallery: 414 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Archibald.

Apr 28, 2018 21:28 |  #3

Depends a lot on your situation.

A few years ago I bought a 7D (ver 1) late in its cycle. I reasoned that if ver II came out, I would just buy the new model - and I did. Quite happy with the 7D and then the 7D2.

Things can change, and they depend on many things. A year ago I was hankering for the 7D Mark III. But if it came out now, I would not be so sure. The Mark II was heavy. If the III is heavier, I won't buy it. Weight has become more important for me. Might not be an issue at all for you, though.

For you, why not the 80D? It is cheaper and lighter. If you are reach-limited, it gives 10% more reach because of its greater pixel density. Either body will be a big advance over your 40D.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Frodge
Goldmember
3,076 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 28, 2018 21:37 |  #4

80d

PJJ205
339 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Apr 28, 2018 21:57 |  #5

Yep. After I figured mine out, I decided not to part with it until I absolutely have to. Solid camera for the price.

lowrider
797 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 28, 2018 22:06 |  #6

^^^^This!

Lou

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,234 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Apr 28, 2018 22:06 |  #7

Whatever you do look at refurbs. Don’t pay retail.

I liked my 7D2 but used my 6D about 75% of the time.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,491 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 29, 2018 01:52 |  #8

Without a second thought; but, as others mentioned, check for refurbished before outlaying full retail.

As mentioned by others, the 80D should also be considered as a solid upgrade from your 40D. There are some minor pluses/minuses between the two, but both will put you at/near the top of Canon's current crop body dSLR line.
(side by side spec list here: https://www.dpreview.c​om …dii&products=ca​non_eos80d (external link))

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

tongard
357 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 29, 2018 05:12 |  #9

Just go out and get one and stop over thinking it.

Canon 6d, 7d2.
Canon 50 1.4, 28mm 2.8 is , 24-85, 24-105, 70-200 f4 is
Sigma 150-600

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 29, 2018 05:55 |  #10

LucaV wrote in post #18615577 (external link)
I would like to have:
- good low iso performance (especially since I am planning to buy either the sigma 100-400 or 150-600, both F6.3 or similar).
- hdr and/or higher dynamic range (my phone can take better landscapes than my camera, at times!)
- gps
- tilt screen would be nice but it is not a big deal
- weather sealing is nice but not a big deal

I think I prefer the 7D2 on the 80D, but other than that I have been out of the camera loop for a while so I might be missing something..

Heya,

Any camera that is out in the past 4~5 years will have significant advancements over what you're used to. A 7D2 or 80D would be excellent.

The reason your phone deals with landscapes better is because it's doing HDR and merging. You can do better with the 40D, if you also did bracketed shots and merged. So don't let that be a factor.

The 80D/7D2 will have significantly better ISO performance, dynamic range, FPS, etc. They will be excellent for your needs.

I'd lean towards the 80D, refurb.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

mcoren
633 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Apr 29, 2018 11:10 |  #11

Title says it all, almost.

I have had a 40D for 10 years or so and it's just about time to upgrade it ;)
Ideally I would wait for a 7D3 to be available but I am tempted to get a new camera for a nice trip I will soon have.

Speaking for myself, I actually did just buy a 7D2 only about three months ago. I found a virtually new one (119 clicks) with original box and everything on my local Craigslist for about half of what a new body lists for. It replaced a 70D because I go to a lot of airshows and I wanted the fastest AF system and all of its tracking modes.

I like the GPS although it's a bit finicky and uses a lot of battery. I miss the tilt screen a little because it made it easier to hold the camera up to shoot over people and fences.

As far as waiting for a 7D3, my guess is it will be at least late 2019 before it's announced. The 7D series appears to be on about a 5 year refresh cycle, and the 7D2 was released in late 2014. The 80D sounds like a great camera from all of the reports I read, but it's also getting a little long in the tooth for an XXD body (about 2-1/2 year refresh cycle), and no replacement has been announced.

At the end of the day, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Both are available on the used market at significant discounts. Check out the PON classifieds as well as your local Craigslist.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
2,945 posts
Gallery: 1341 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 29, 2018 11:26 |  #12

I'm still pleased with my 7D2.

As for the GPS, it does use a lot of battery, but I find that if I leave the camera by a window the day before I need it, and also let it get a lock before I start using it for the day, it works much better.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 29, 2018 11:47 |  #13

I would like to have:
- gps...
I do not care for:
- wireless
- video
- touch screen
- extreme fps (the 40D is sufficiently fast for me)

I think I prefer the 7D2 on the 80D, but other than that I have been out of the camera loop for a while so I might be missing something.

Given your criteria, I would wait. Though the 7DII is an improvement over the 40D, it really does not address the two things you list, improved ISO and better DR. The ISO is better but not greatly so and the DR is almost the same. The 80D improves on both at lower ISO and I'm speculating that the 7DIII will take advantage of the better sensor in the 80D.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,882 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 29, 2018 11:49 |  #14

Absolutly NO !!!

I have a 1Dx2 and currently have the 5D3 as well

7D2 will be my last crop sensor

AF on 7D2 is crap compared to the 1Dx2. Greatly disappointed with its performance

The SonyA7iii is a better option with a sigma adapter to use your canon glass in my opinion

I think full frame with a TC is a far better option and I think your better off going for 150-600's because sensor performance and ISO performance will let you bump the ISO up enough to get shutter speeds and you will get better results. 7D2 tops out as a 4000 ISO camera in my opinion. I could put a 150-600 on the 5D4 and crank it to 8000 ISO and get better results for sports and wildlife needs.

I think TC's and cheaper reach far outweigh any advantages to the 1.6 crop sensor for sports and wildlife shooters and again you cant discount what the new Sony A7iii is going to allow you to do

Canon is not interested in the crop sensor. This is highly evident when they abandoned the 1.3 sensor for the 1D bodies.

Greatly frustrated with Canon as of late

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

LucaV
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2018 16:21 |  #15

Thanks a lot to all for the very insightful answers.

A few comments:

- used/refurbished are not that easy to find around here; you can get them from shops with guarantee and all but the savings are just not worth it.

- HDR: of course I could get it through post processing but I am past the time when I thought I would post process most of my pictures. I have hard disks full of triple exposures bracketing that I will never really look at :)
ISO is another matter. I don't like to go above 640 with the 40D; recent camera can do a bit better from what I read/see :)

- not really keen to invest in full frame or another brand because most of my glass would not work.
I do not shoot that much any more, so changing all the equipment does not make a lot of sense.

- I hinted at this before but if I were not going through a rather nice 3-weeks trip I would not buy a new camera. I waited 10 years to replace my 40d, I could wait one more and then jump on the 7D3 for another long time. But the trip is there...

sponsored links

8,036 views & 34 likes for this thread
Would you buy a 7D2 today?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.