Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 12:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a way to set Groups D and E for Godox tt685s???

LGabrielPhoto
35 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 29, 2018 12:05 |  #1

I see references to it on some of the information regarding the Godox 685S (for Sony) yet mine can only select between A,B,C.

I see a note similar to this though regarding the Groups in those articles
"NOTE – There is no GR Mode with pre 2012 Canon Cameras – So only 3 Groups available then, and no mixed TTL & Manual)"
So is this GR Mode something Canon and Nikon may have but not available on my A7R3?
I mean, I can just set my AD200s to D and E and my AD600 to A thus leaving my two small flashes to Groups B and C but still I am curious about it.

Thanks

inkista
574 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 29, 2018 15:31 |  #2

No. According to flashhavoc's TT685S announcement, you can only set a TT685S to Groups A-C.

This is also the case for the Nikon, MFT, and Fuji flavors. That is, everyone but Canon.

Only the TT685C can be set to groups D & E, and that's because Canon cameras can actually set Canon flashes to groups A-E. I suspect that Godox gear is reverse-engineered from Canon tech, and then adapted for the other systems. The fact that my TT685C can also do TTL ratios, but I'm pretty sure the other flavors don't is another indication of this, as is the changing backlight color for slave/master indication (which is how the Canon 600EX-RT does it).

The optical wireless flash systems that are used by everyone else are mostly limited to three groups (A, B, and C), and since that's all the camera can communicate, that's all that Godox has to work with. The only exception to this would be Nikon's new radio system, which allows for six groups; and Sony's new radio system which allows for five. But they've only reverse-engineered Canon's camera menu/flash communication protocol.

I think this is also why the non-Canon system flashes sometimes have to be set to TTL on the flash to allow for remote power control, even in M ratios.

Godox, of course, can build groups D and E into its own lights that don't have to ever communicate directly with a camera, but only a Godox transmitter. My Godox A1 can also be set to groups D&E as a slave. :)

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

LGabrielPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Apr 29, 2018 15:34 |  #3

inkista wrote in post #18616049 (external link)
No. According to flashhavoc's TT685S announcement, you can only set a TT685S to Groups A-C.

This is also the case for the Nikon, MFT, and Fuji flavors. That is, everyone but Canon.

Only the TT685C can be set to groups D & E, and that's because Canon cameras can actually set Canon flashes to groups A-E. I suspect that Godox gear is reverse-engineered from Canon tech, and then adapted for the other systems. The fact that my TT685C can also do TTL ratios, but I'm pretty sure the other flavors don't is another indication of this, as is the changing backlight color for slave/master indication (which is how the Canon 600EX-RT does it).

The optical wireless flash systems that are used by everyone else are mostly limited to three groups (A, B, and C), and since that's all the camera can communicate, that's all that Godox has to work with. The only exception to this would be Nikon's new radio system, which allows for six groups; and Sony's new radio system which allows for five. But they've only reverse-engineered Canon's camera menu/flash communication protocol.

I think this is also why the non-Canon system flashes sometimes have to be set to TTL on the flash to allow for remote power control, even in M ratios.

Godox, of course, can build groups D and E into its own lights that don't have to ever communicate directly with a camera, but only a Godox transmitter. My Godox A1 can also be set to groups D&E as a slave. :)

Ok that clears things out..no need for me to think about it any more then :D Like I said, I can just set D and E for my AD200s but I was just curious about it so thanks for confirming that it is not possible for my case. :)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

561 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a way to set Groups D and E for Godox tt685s???
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.