Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Apr 2018 (Saturday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you buy a 7D2 today?

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,431 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 29, 2018 16:24 |  #16

LucaV wrote in post #18616076 (external link)
Thanks a lot to all for the very insightful answers.

A few comments:

- used/refurbished are not that easy to find around here; you can get them from shops with guarantee and all but the savings are just not worth it.

- HDR: of course I could get it through post processing but I am past the time when I thought I would post process most of my pictures. I have hard disks full of triple exposures bracketing that I will never really look at :)
ISO is another matter. I don't like to go above 640 with the 40D; recent camera can do a bit better from what I read/see :)

- not really keen to invest in full frame or another brand because most of my glass would not work.
I do not shoot that much any more, so changing all the equipment does not make a lot of sense.

- I hinted at this before but if I were not going through a rather nice 3-weeks trip I would not buy a new camera. I waited 10 years to replace my 40d, I could wait one more and then jump on the 7D3 for another long time. But the trip is there...

Where is ‘around here’?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,159 posts
Gallery: 1633 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 29, 2018 16:33 |  #17

LucaV wrote in post #18616076 (external link)
but I am past the time when I thought I would post process most of my pictures.

So is your goal to basically just snap photos (JPG) and whatever comes out of the camera is what it will be? No processing? Not trying to be cheeky or rude, it's a serious inquiry because it does put a lot more into what combination of things and what budget to push with.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,031 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2018 16:42 |  #18

what do you shoot? i'm having a hard time seeing where you need the upgrade...you only listed a handful of things, but not sure why you would need something like a 7DIII over an 80D

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

LucaV
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by LucaV. (2 edits in all)

Apr 29, 2018 17:05 |  #19

MalVeauX wrote in post #18616084 (external link)
So is your goal to basically just snap photos (JPG) and whatever comes out of the camera is what it will be? No processing? Not trying to be cheeky or rude, it's a serious inquiry because it does put a lot more into what combination of things and what budget to push with.

I always shoot raw (almost always triple bracketing). Basic, single photo editing is more than fine, almost always with DPP although I did prefer other software for shadow/highlight control.
I just don't do multiple photo alignment, panorama stitching and the likes. I dabbed a bit into manual HDR many years ago but never really got into it. I guess today's software is better, but old habits are hard to change.
I am also strongly against selective editing of parts of a picture (removing something is a no no for me, for instance), but it doesn't matter in this context.

I shoot a little bit of everyhing. From landscapes to flowers and insects macro; hoping/planning to get some interesting wildlife shot in the upcoming trip. In the past I was shooting a lot of motor racing trackside (indy cars, world superbikes, fia gt, f3 etc) with my 40d and 70-300 but I don't think I will do that again. BTW, the 300 was a little short but I still got decent results out of my equipment. With practice I was able to get nice hand held panning pictures typically up to 1/20, for instance (3000 pictures per weekend help to learn timing and technique :) ).

Main reason I would need to upgrade now is ISO, since I guess I will need to raise it to hand-hold the 150-600 (or 100-400) I plan to get. I could also use better dynamic range because I will not have the luxury to wait for the best light in the upcoming trip.

LucaV
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2018 17:14 |  #20

A couple of pictures I can post quickly... although I am not sure exactly why I am posting them :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

LucaV
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2018 17:16 |  #21

Different subjects

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canonuser123
624 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Canonuser123 with reason 'Wrong camera info changed'. (2 edits in all)

Apr 29, 2018 17:47 as a reply to  @ LucaV's post |  #22

If you want better ISO performance and dynamic range the 80D is better than the 7D mark II, I have never used an 80D but I think the 7D mark II autofocus is great mine locks focus very fast.

I used to shoot Motorcycle racing in the film days and was fine with the AF performance of my Canon A2E, I posted some shots with a Rebel XT before, all these cameras are fantastic now, I think peoples expectations are a moving target so some people are never satisfied.

Three time GP500 world Campion Wayne Rainey from 1991 taken with my Canon EOS 630.

HOSTED PHOTO

Here is a shot with my old Digital Rebel XT, also known as the 350D in some parts.
HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Canonuser123's gallery.

Canonuser123
624 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by Canonuser123.

Apr 29, 2018 17:56 |  #23

I also have posted a couple shots recently with the Sigma 150-600mm C on my 7D mark II over in the big Sigma lens thread, I think it is a great combo, the lens is great all the way to 500mm and not bad at 600mm even wide open. Any camera is pretty good nowadays, if I were starting out without any lenses and wanted something all purpose, I think I would probably go with the Nikon D7500.

LucaV
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2018 18:15 |  #24

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18616133 (external link)
I used to shoot Motorcycle racing in the film days and was fine with the AF performance of my Canon A2E,

Very nice pictures.
You were certainly very good if you were panning with film. Or you didn't pay for development yourself :)

Canonuser123
624 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 29, 2018 18:33 |  #25

LucaV wrote in post #18616153 (external link)
Very nice pictures.
You were certainly very good if you were panning with film. Or you didn't pay for development yourself :)

I was just a spectator, I would shoot maybe 5 rolls of film at a race, I stood on a short ladder so I could shoot over the fence, this is where I would go on my vacation, I miss remembered the camera for the first shot of Rainey, it was taken with my very first Canon, the EOS 630. The first photo is from Laguna Seca in Monterey California and the second one is Willow Springs.

Canonuser123
624 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 29, 2018 18:38 |  #26

All of my cameras that I own now are more capable than I am. I understand wanting better low light capability, a jump to a full frame sensor is the best option for that.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,516 posts
Gallery: 385 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2018 18:39 |  #27

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18616166 (external link)
All of my cameras that I own now are more capable than I am. I understand wanting better low light capability, a jump to a full frame sensor is the best option for that.

Not as good as medium format.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Canonuser123
624 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Apr 29, 2018 18:45 |  #28

Archibald wrote in post #18616168 (external link)
Not as good as medium format.

Not financially feasible for most people, also not as versatile, try shooting a motorcycle race with a medium format camera. Are you going to shoot wildlife at a distance with a medium format camera? I find myself wishing I had more than a 600mm lens with a crop camera, you know of a good 1200mm for a Hasselblad? I stand by my statement.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,516 posts
Gallery: 385 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2018 19:21 |  #29

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18616171 (external link)
Not financially feasible for most people, also not as versatile, try shooting a motorcycle race with a medium format camera. Are you going to shoot wildlife at a distance with a medium format camera? I find myself wishing I had more than a 600mm lens with a crop camera, you know of a good 1200mm for a Hasselblad? I stand by my statement.

As one goes to bigger and bigger sensors, light gathering improves, and so does IQ. But cost and weight increase too, very steeply. For most of us, full frame is way more quality than we need, let alone medium format. Even crop frame is more than most of us need most of the time.

The objective for many of us is not to have the best quality, but to have gear that meets our needs and a bit more. Crop is probably the best format for that... although micro four thirds and even the 1"-type sensors are making strong gains.

If you want the best, go medium format. If you want a reasonable compromise, look at crop or smaller.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by fordmondeo.

Apr 30, 2018 04:11 |  #30

I recently bought a 7d2 to compliment my 1dx2.

There are certain things I didn't think I'd miss with an apsc sensor but.....

Less vignette on all lenses.
Only using the center sweet spot of lenses.
Not having to degrade the optical quality of lenses by using tele converters.

The 7d2 has a better focus system than some people would have you believe.
The 1dx appears to have about a 1 stop advantage with regards signal noise so if you do use tele converters with a 1dx2 you have basically negated any benefit from full frame.

I could go on, and may well do.

Vaginator9000

sponsored links

7,032 views & 34 likes for this thread
Would you buy a 7D2 today?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.