Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 30 Mar 2018 (Friday) 22:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Some pictures from a recent maternity shoot. Honest opinions please!

jcolman
Goldmember
2,606 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 28, 2018 08:59 |  #16

mdvaden wrote in post #18608521 (external link)
Dark backgrounds isn't necessarily"the key" ... it's more of a want or hope. I was adjusting an image last night from a redwood wedding. It was scheduled a specific time of day at a specific park. The entire park was scattered mix of sunlight and shadows. There was no "key" to find, nor time to go elsewhere. Sometimes it is possible to go elsewhere or another hour. Nice option if it's available. Partially cloudy days often cause changes that may make a dark background or light background trade places throughout the day.

Back the OP -- I think the main point was getting the people out of direct sun. Personally, the hot spots in the background don't bother me very much provided it's back in the bokeh. Some people may even prefer the bright spots of bokeh instead of an even darker background.

Good point. You can't always find dark backgrounds but even if you can't you can still get good pics by putting your subjects in the shade. Even if you don't have time to go elsewhere.

IMAGE: https://i.imgur.com/hI2IMBK.jpg

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

N2bnfunn
605 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 29, 2018 21:49 as a reply to  @ post 18598234 |  #17

Personally I would have crop the top of the picture... but still nice picture...

Canon 1DX Canon 5D MkIII Lens EF 16-35 L 2.8 EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 Intuos Small Tablet 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

MBB89
254 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Apr 30, 2018 07:30 |  #18

I think the first shot is perfectly serviceable if you fix the tint and redo curve to put some more emphasis on your subject. Also the 135L is a lovely lens but high contrast scenes are not its specialty. It loses contrast pretty easily when you shoot into heavy backlight like this.

God knows wedding photographers get to shoot wedding parties outdoors at 3pm without a cloud in the sky very frequently and sometimes that light is the best you can do in a hurry. However, learning to post-process that lighting condition makes a huge difference in final output.

Comment#2 would be that with digital very often your goal should be to avoid clipping in the RAW rather than exactly spot metering for the face off the bat. Does this force me to take a little extra time in editing to adjust overall exposure? Yes. Is it worth it to me to be able to decide on the actual exposure after the fact with essentially no penalty? Also yes.

As long as you aren't pushing exposure by +-3 stops, there's essentially no penalty for this (even on the 5D3).

I find the pose in the second shot kind of awkward. The dad and child are doing one thing and the mother-to-be is doing another and I don't see a lot of rhyme or reason to why they should go together.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,984 views & 5 likes for this thread
Some pictures from a recent maternity shoot. Honest opinions please!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.